Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BillsBlue

This one was on the defense folks

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

I was surprised by the Pats continuous winning of the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Perhaps all the national attention and accolades was a distraction for some of the Bills. 

There you go.  Since the first ever played football game you win up front.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know people think the defense was on the field too long but I mean, look at NE** 2nd and 3rd drive:

 

2nd Drive - 11 plays; 7:26

3rd Drive - 17 plays; 8:11(started inside the 1)

 

At that point the Bills had had the ball twice scored 3 points and went 3 and out. The defense had been on the field for over a a quarter of football. If they were tired, it was their own doing.

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:


C’mon Gunner, this is a bit simplistic. In reality it’s a bit of both. The offense put 3 points on the bored then the defense collapsed on NE 2nd drive. Allowed a nearly 8 min drive, putting themselves in a lot of 3rd and short situations. Making for easy conversions.

 

The defense after 3 New England drives, including a turnover, had been on the field for 18 mins! You don’t think that’s a little bit of their own fault? They allowed a 17 play drive, that started inside the 1, that almost turned into 7 but fortunately they held them to 3. They could not get off the field on 3rd down.

 

It is a bit their own fault for sure. But you can't play offense that way and beat New England. 

  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GunnerBill said:

 

It is a bit their own fault for sure. But you can't play offense that way and beat New England. 


But by the time the offense got the ball for their 3rd time the defense had been on the field for 18 mins plus. They scored 3 and had a 3 and out in their first two. Can’t do much if you don’t have the ball. 
 

Now should the offense have done more on their 3rd and then 4th possession? Sure but if the defense was tired at that point, they only had themselves to blame. What they allowed for 3rd down situations was awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:


But by the time the offense got the ball for their 3rd time the defense had been on the field for 18 mins plus. They scored 3 and had a 3 and out in their first two. Can’t do much if you don’t have the ball. 
 

Now should the offense have done more on their 3rd and then 4th possession? Sure but if the defense was tired at that point, they only had themselves to blame. What they allowed for 3rd down situations was awful.

 

But they tightened up in the middle of the game. They had Brady in a run of 3 from 12 either side of half time. When the Bills went ahead they went right out there and got the Pats off the field in a 3 and out. It was at that point that they needed some help. They got none. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

But they tightened up in the middle of the game. They had Brady in a run of 3 from 12 either side of half time. When the Bills went ahead they went right out there and got the Pats off the field in a 3 and out. It was at that point that they needed some help. They got none. 


Did they tighten up or did the Pats make mistakes? On consecutive series they got OPI which put them in long down and distances. They were also without Edelman. This is where the Bills defense thrives. What was missing was making those plays on 1st/2nd downs. Too many times the Patriots were in 3rd and manageable.

 

Too much Trent Murphy and the run defense was awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I said it in the postgame thread, and I’ll say it again:

 

for better or worse, the identity of this team is that the defense holds the offense in check, gets off the field, and lets the offense have opportunities. The offense then makes two-three big plays a game and that’s enough.

 

the offense did it’s job yesterday; the defense fell down like a house or cards.

 

You can debate if our identity is correct or what it should be,  but you can’t debate that the defense got out manned on every drive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magox said:

It definitely was on the defense.   They seemed to have Vanilla pass rush packages.   Very few blitzes or stunts.  Of course NE’s effective as on the ground helped that happen but even on some obvious passing downs the Bills weren’t able to bring the heat.   Brady was way too comfortable back there.

 

Also the run defense was steam rolled, way too many missed tackles.   A disappointing defensive performance.   
 

No doubt NE deserves a lot of credit, they finally played a game this year with an identity and their run game kept the defense so off balance that the play action killed them.   Hats off to their scheme and that was on the coaches.    But all the missed tackles is totally on the players and was very uncharacteristic from this defense.

 

I don’t believe we will see that happen again over the next few games for the Bills.

 

maybe McD knew the division was a crapshoot. risking showing blitz packages they have been saving up for the playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The offense was facing the #1 defense in the league. Scored more points than they typically allow. Brady was allegedly facing the #2 (or #3) defense in the league and marched up and down the field at will. And with how little the offense saw the ball in the first half it's almost a miracle they somehow scored 17 points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope. It's on Allen. Be honest, you can't rely on the D every single game and when your QB can't hit Knox in the end zone on the same throw the GOAT did moments earlier to tie the game, that's not the D's fault, it's Allen's. Can't blame the D every time they lose to shield the offense from criticism. The offense is putrid more often than not. The running game is weak. The OL is unathletic, leaving this team unable to ever run a screen, which you watch other teams like, oh I don't know, every team yesterday. And the WR position needs a legit lengthy receiver. But all of that doesn't overcome the reality that execution by Allen cost them the game, period. Too many here won't criticize the kid. He's shown major improvement in a lot of areas, but those 3-4 misses a game will continue to come back and haunt them and the Knox miss, that a high schooler can make, cost them a tie and possible win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Was it? The offense couldn't sustain a drive 3:15 on our very first drive after the turnover was our longest drive of the day until the last one. You cn't have your defense on the field 2/3s of the game against NE and expect to win. D has some blame to take. But the O was inept outside two magic throws. 

 

We were never up 17-10. We were down 13-10 and up 17-13. Then the D got a 3 and out immediately. Then our O went 3 and out. Then they went down and we held them inside the redzone to a FG. 17-16. Then our O went 3 and out again. And finally the bend and break broke having been on the field 38 of the 54 minutes of the game played to that point. 

 

Buffalo D can't get off the filed. Not enough 3 and outs. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re one offseason away from having a complete team, by design.  You’ll see the finishing touches to the offense this offseason for a 3rd year Josh Allen to operate with.  
 

The O is what it is right now.  They had 17 points but within those 17 points, gave us the lead mid-3rd quarter, were 8 yards away from a tie at the end, all the while, never having the ball as our defense was consistently abused for time consuming drives.  
 

Our defense is elite.  By design.  Up there with NE, Baltimore and Pittsburgh.  Heavily invested in with both draft picks and $$$.   They should never have a game like what we just saw.  That was the Pats telling our defense that they still own us and our defense doing nothing about it. 
 

It wasn’t just the 24 points.   It was the fact our defense could never get off the field.  In a game of two elite defenses vs two average offenses, that TOP was absolutely absurd. 
 

 

Edited by SCBills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Was it? The offense couldn't sustain a drive 3:15 on our very first drive after the turnover was our longest drive of the day until the last one. You cn't have your defense on the field 2/3s of the game against NE and expect to win. D has some blame to take. But the O was inept outside two magic throws. 

 

We were never up 17-10. We were down 13-10 and up 17-13. Then the D got a 3 and out immediately. Then our O went 3 and out. Then they went down and we held them inside the redzone to a FG. 17-16. Then our O went 3 and out again. And finally the bend and break broke having been on the field 38 of the 54 minutes of the game played to that point. 

Seriously? The D was on the field 2/3 of the game because they gave up 2 11 play drives (14:06) and one 17 play drive (8:58) and couldn't get off the field. The fact is that  on 5 or more play drives the Pats had 6 and the Bills had 5. So what part of the 2 11 play drives and the one 17 play drive did the offense have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

They scored 17 points 

 

🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️

This gets fixed in the offseason IMO via draft and free agency.   Offense not scoring enough points for Bills to be a top 5 team.   Not sure what they will bring in, but based on the history they will bring people in. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...kept waiting for Frazier's gang to shake off their usual slow start...BUT...it never happened......pinned at the one, their drive consumed 9 minutes......sure it ended in a FG, but they just kept marching.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, zonabb said:

Nope. It's on Allen. Be honest, you can't rely on the D every single game and when your QB can't hit Knox in the end zone on the same throw the GOAT did moments earlier to tie the game, that's not the D's fault, it's Allen's. Can't blame the D every time they lose to shield the offense from criticism. The offense is putrid more often than not. The running game is weak. The OL is unathletic, leaving this team unable to ever run a screen, which you watch other teams like, oh I don't know, every team yesterday. And the WR position needs a legit lengthy receiver. But all of that doesn't overcome the reality that execution by Allen cost them the game, period. Too many here won't criticize the kid. He's shown major improvement in a lot of areas, but those 3-4 misses a game will continue to come back and haunt them and the Knox miss, that a high schooler can make, cost them a tie and possible win.

You have to be joking! Allen 2 TD 0 INT, a passer rating of 102.7, no turnovers, got first downs with his desire and legs and its on him? You are unbelievable. D gives up 414 yds, 38 minutes of possession, 24 points, many many missed tackles and whiffs, no pics, and you want to lay it on Allen? Unbelievable. How many hundreds of throws that a high schooler might make are missed each week by NFL QBs? Ridiculous.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are further along than we should be, but not where we want to be, which is both exciting and frustrating at the same time. We really have to keep the big picture in mind which is we are at least one and probably two seasons from super bowl contention if things continue to progress. 

 

On D, we were out coached by McDaniels, outmuscled on the line, and the poor tackling didn't help. I sure hope that was a vanilla D by design because I was not impressed.

 

On O, everyone knows what we are. Josh needs more polish and needs to get rid of the early game yips. I was discouraged by his poor mechanics which is why he missed some easy throws. I was encouraged by his leadership, his ability to move on from poor plays, his ball protection, and he hit two deep throws with touch! We were outmuscled on the line again, and they keyed in Singletary and took him away. 

 

No moral victories, I friggin hate that team with a passion and their fans too. Simply put, they are still the better team and we aren't there yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we have some revisionist history going on as to the defenses performance. People would have signed up for Allens 2 TDS and 0 TOs before the game, not to mention 102.7 Rating against a team that has been giving opponents nothing, 49.8 QBR 12.9 ppg. The dye was cast early in the game with a game plan that allowed NE to methodically win third downs and control the clock. People are being way to kind to the defense. They didn't do what we expected going in, as to the offense it would have been nice to put up 27 against the #1 defense. But, as I said, people would have signed on for the Allen performance before the game.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

It was a total team loss. The defense was gashed and the offense was inept.

So the offense scored 17 points against the  #1 defense and had over 300 yards of offense. I guess "inept" has a very high bar. I would have thought inept was reserved for sub 200 yard offenses that score less than 10. Now I know....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Was it? The offense couldn't sustain a drive 3:15 on our very first drive after the turnover was our longest drive of the day until the last one. You cn't have your defense on the field 2/3s of the game against NE and expect to win. D has some blame to take. But the O was inept outside two magic throws. 

 

We were never up 17-10. We were down 13-10 and up 17-13. Then the D got a 3 and out immediately. Then our O went 3 and out. Then they went down and we held them inside the redzone to a FG. 17-16. Then our O went 3 and out again. And finally the bend and break broke having been on the field 38 of the 54 minutes of the game played to that point. 

that 3 and out was entirely on Daboll/McDermott  They come out and run two consecutive handoffs into a 8 man box when it was obvious the O line was getting manhandled  Bend but dont break is the worst defense to play against a offense built on executing he small ball like the Patriots are  Coaching staff again got worked by the Pats

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, tumaro02 said:

Seriously? The D was on the field 2/3 of the game because they gave up 2 11 play drives (14:06) and one 17 play drive (8:58) and couldn't get off the field. The fact is that  on 5 or more play drives the Pats had 6 and the Bills had 5. So what part of the 2 11 play drives and the one 17 play drive did the offense have?

 

The part where the defense got no rest in between drives because the O couldn't stay on the field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...