This one was on the defense folks

BillsBlue

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Average points in nfl game is 48.3.    

Why would 17 points be enough to beat math ? 

Where is your math coming from?

The average # of points scored or given up in an NFL game this season is 22.5 thru week 15.

It's typically between 21.5 and 23.5 ppg over recent seasons

48.3 isn't even 2x average ppg

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where is your math coming from?

The average # of points scored or given up in an NFL game this season is 22.5 thru week 15.

It's typically between 21.5 and 23.5 ppg over recent seasons

48.3 isn't even 2x average ppg

Quick google search gave me that for 2018.  

Didnt deep dive it.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/bradadgate/2018/11/26/nfl-scoring-is-up-and-so-are-ratings/amp/

most any football fan will tell you, watching NFL games in 2018 has been exciting. One reason is that scoring is on a record-setting pace. After 11 weeks, the NFL has been on a record pace for most points scored (7,791), most touchdown (895) and most passing touchdowns (570). On average, there are 48.4 points scored in a game”

Edited by Teddy KGB

2 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

We were gashed by the run and on the "extension of the run game" being screens/flats to their rb's.

We couldn't generate practically any pressure at all as far as a pass rush goes(when we did they had the right play called to bust it). 

Allen while missing a couple throws played about as good as you can against that defense and kept us in the game. He made a couple bombs and got Cole over 100 yards again once a team took away smoke. No fumbles no picks and 2 TDS against this defense is a damn good performance not to mention a 102 passer rating. Get the kid 1 more good rb to hand off to as well as a Julio Jones/ Plax type wideout to be 1a or 1b outside across from smoke and I think we will become dominant next season. 

The needle is pointing up everyone Josh Allen has us in striking distance against the Ravens and now the pats 2 of the best teams in the NFL . We really need to replace Zo and Hughes and then I think we will be set. 

On to the playoffs ?

There's plenty of blame to go around. On offense it belongs on Allen's shoulders. On defense, not a good day, at all, by the LBs yesterday.  Coverage misses, missed tackles, you name it.

We need a defensive end, two if Lawson is gone.  We need at least 1 LB and I'm still not opposed to moving Edmunds to the outside where you can better take advantage of his speed and rush ability. Don't know if Milano is tired, worn down, dinged up...whatever it is, not a good day for him, at all.

On offense go all in on Amari Cooper.  Move Ford to guard and get a RT.

I'm unsold on Daboll.  He is all about taking what the defense gives you.  Yesterday, again, showed us that teams do, in fact, take what they want.  Letting the defense dictate has kept this team from developing an identity.

• Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

screens will be few and far between with our QB. Why?  He has mobility meaning there is a spy looking right into the backfield at all times. Meaning trying to beat with a screen is next to impossible. 

that is the nature of having a running QB. 

I disagree.  Ravens have no problem executing screens.  Its all about selling and executing, however the defense is never fooled.

25 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

14 first downs, 2/11 3rd down conversion rate and 268 yards of offense yesterday. You thought that was good?

I don't recall saying it was good. I refuted your comment that it was inept. The Pats give up an average of 268 ypg. The Bills exceeded that. Inept? NO. The Pats have given up 10 TD passes this year. Allen threw 2 in this game. Inept? Hardly. The Bills scored 17 points against the #1 defense. Inept? Absolutely not. Maybe look up the definition of inept would help?

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I disagree.  Ravens have no problem executing screens.  Its all about selling and executing, however the defense is never fooled.

You can disagree all you want. It has been widely written about how teams with Running QBs have issues with screens because of how the defense plays a running QB

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

They scored 17 points 

??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

They would have had 20 if they kicked a FG at the end of the game but obviously didn't because of the situation.

But did you watch the game? All our defense had to do when NE had the ball in the mid 4th was not give up a TD. Allowing a FG on that possession was fine, we could still win with a FG of our own. All we needed to do was not let them score a TD... But not only did they score a TD but the 2pt conversion as well.

That NE offense has looked terrible recently too, especially brady. And yet he had little problem finding open men and had zero pressure that final drive.

26 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

There's plenty of blame to go around. On offense it belongs on Allen's shoulders. On defense, not a good day, at all, by the LBs yesterday.  Coverage misses, missed tackles, you name it.

We need a defensive end, two if Lawson is gone.  We need at least 1 LB and I'm still not opposed to moving Edmunds to the outside where you can better take advantage of his speed and rush ability. Don't know if Milano is tired, worn down, dinged up...whatever it is, not a good day for him, at all.

On offense go all in on Amari Cooper.  Move Ford to guard and get a RT.

I'm unsold on Daboll.  He is all about taking what the defense gives you.  Yesterday, again, showed us that teams do, in fact, take what they want.  Letting the defense dictate has kept this team from developing an identity.

I don’t agree with the Edmunds suggestion at all, but if Amari Cooper shakes free, I lock him up at OBD and don’t let him leave until he signs a contract.  Brown, Beasley and Cooper... whewwww. 

Draft a RT in RD 1, move Ford to Guard, draft a DB in the 2nd opposite Tre, and then draft a RB to pair with Singletary in the 3rd. Draft multiple pass rushers in the mid-rounds.  

On defense, prioritize Phillips.  Try to sign both he and Lawson, but if Lawson walks, oh well. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You can disagree all you want. It has been widely written about how teams with Running QBs have issues with screens because of how the defense plays a running QB

I will disagree all I want.  I have never given a crap about senior officer opinions because you’re wrong most of the time, like you are here.

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I will disagree all I want.  I have never given a crap about senior officer opinions because you’re wrong most of the time, like you are here.

and with that you continue to show your “insight”. 

Why do we have to blame one side of the ball or the other. Neither were good last night. Both share a large portion of the blame. 

The D was a bigger disappointment because we expect way more from them but the O was putrid outside of two big throws.

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Don’t you have a Colonels butt to kiss!  Because you offered no proof of your “insight”.  And plenty of running QBs have no problem executing a simple screen play.

you only wish you could reach the tank I reached before retirement. But i suspect a lot of Below Center Mass OERs in your career.  

It was a disappointing outing at a number of levels, starting with the fact that both lines were not very good and were getting pushed around. I'm still not sure how the entire world knows Edelmann is the go-to, and the Bills couldn't stop him. Very frustrating.

Allen missed some passes, but if you think Allen is the reason the Bills lost, then you don't watch football.  If you're going to surrender hero ball then you're going to hold the ball too long and take sacks. The dude has work to do on things like that, and what you should really want at this juncture in his career is to see him getting better. If you can't see his game improving, then I suspect you just don't want to see it.

In the end, as a homer, what I was encouraged to see was the team doing a great job of not beating themselves. No stupid turnovers. No lack of composure. No McKelvin-like moments. These are the ways the Bills get blown out in the past. It's a team that is getting better, and yesterday's loss doesn't change that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Was it? The offense couldn't sustain a drive 3:15 on our very first drive after the turnover was our longest drive of the day until the last one. You cn't have your defense on the field 2/3s of the game against NE and expect to win. D has some blame to take. But the O was inept outside two magic throws. 

We were never up 17-10. We were down 13-10 and up 17-13. Then the D got a 3 and out immediately. Then our O went 3 and out. Then they went down and we held them inside the redzone to a FG. 17-16. Then our O went 3 and out again. And finally the bend and break broke having been on the field 38 of the 54 minutes of the game played to that point. 

Allen played HORRIBLE in 1st half...  

3 - 9 and 31 NET yards.  Come on...

• Like (+1) 1