Allen slammed on ESPN

1 hour ago, George C said:

Until Allen IS consistently GREAT, which he is not yet, he will be disrespected.. 

It’s all up to Josh to get better.

Remember, talking heads are just that. They're opinion come second hand. As fast as they trash, they'll do a 180 next week. 

To be fair, I think Allen will be disrespected up to and until he has a career pushing Brady, which I hope he does.

It's all about confirmation bias.  The "story" on Allen is that he has an arm that can laser a ball through a brick wall, but is unable to successfully target said wall 4 times out of 5.  He was said to be a "joke of a first round draft pick" and to have "less than zero probability to succeed as a QB".

People will cling to those takes with the tenacity of barnacles on an 18th century whaler, even as wooden ships pass into history.

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You are absolutely right from the perspective of the average fan. Most of us do not watch every game out there and often, make judgements about performances of players from other teams based off highlights and stats. However, if your JOB is to provided commentary on sports and you decide to comment, on a national platform, about a specific player, perhaps you should do a little more indepth analysis prior to making the comments....

I agree with you completely, but the fact is most of those guys don't.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Hopefully, in 6 short weeks, they'll be on TV on a Monday morning whinging about how he's the worst QB ever to win a Super Bowl.

From your mouth to God's Ears, Bandit!

• Like (+1) 1

It’s a very simplistic take - though he was f entirely wrong about The Ravens strategy.  

What I’ve learned following the BS from the Twitter Analytics crowd is that journalists or worse yet mathematicians turned “analysts,” don’t have anymore of an informed opinion than a lot of us fans who follow the NFL.  Translation here is that the use guys have no idea what they are talking about  

This is a quotation from the article Tom Pelissero wrote yesterday where NFL execs named McDermott coach of the year:

“He's winning with a young quarterback -- they're kind of winning because of the quarterback, too.”

This is from an NFC Director of Pro Personnel.  If Allen isn’t view this way in from office circles, you know there has to be a lot more to it that the superficial argument that these three are making.  

10 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I think that too many Bills fans are too sensitive about criticism of Allen in the media.  Some of the criticism is justified because Allen doesn't put up great passing stats, and his game still needs considerable work.  OTOH, passing stats have become the be-all and end-all for some in the media as well as among some fans --at least partly and maybe mostly -- due to fantasy football, but passing stats alone don't define great QBs.

IMO, Allen is already a competent NFL QB who demonstrates both good leadership and clutch play even though his passing stats aren't very good.  He not only improved significantly from his rookie season, he's continued to improve as both a passer and a QB over the course of this season.  Allen has thrown for 18 TDs and only 9 picks in 2019, and he's run for 9 more.  Allen, in only 2 seasons, had already directed 6 4th quarter comebacks and 8 game winning drive. 

Jameis Winston OTOH has never been a competent NFL QB despite a being a great passer.  His poor decision making has regularly cost his team wins.  In his five seasons, Winston has thrown for 118 TDs in 70 games -- and 82 INTs.  He's led 7 4th quarter comebacks and led 11 game winning drives in 5 seasons.  Essentially, Winston is the same QB in Year 5 as he was in Year 2.  Even having QB whisperer Bruce Arians as his HC has only helped Winston improve his QB play very marginally -- he's thrown 30 TDs and 24 INTs in 14 games this season.

He’s right about the Ravens strategy.  They dared him to beat them deep and he couldn’t.

I do agree that fans are overly sensitive about criticism to Allen.  But in this case, I feel that these hosts are taking a superficial look at him based on stats

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Who's the ahole on the right (the one trying too hard to be funny)?

Bomani Jones.  He can sometimes be funny. This clip he was trying really hard and failing 

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

It’s a very simplistic take - though he was f entirely wrong about The Ravens strategy.  

What I’ve learned following the BS from the Twitter Analytics crowd is that journalists or worse yet mathematicians turned “analysts,” don’t have anymore of an informed opinion than a lot of us fans who follow the NFL.  Translation here is that the use guys have no idea what they are talking about  

This is a quotation from the article Tom Pelissero wrote yesterday where NFL execs named McDermott coach of the year:

“He's winning with a young quarterback -- they're kind of winning because of the quarterback, too.”

This is from an NFC Director of Pro Personnel.  If Allen isn’t view this way in from office circles, you know there has to be a lot more to it that the superficial argument that these three are making.  

Phil,

What did he say about the Ravens strategy?  I'm unmotivated to actually listen.  Thanks.

"kind of" hmmmph.

4 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He’s right about the Ravens strategy.  They dared him to beat them deep and he couldn’t.

I do agree that fans are overly sensitive about criticism to Allen.  But in this case, I feel that these hosts are taking a superficial look at him based on stats

Bomani Jones.  He can sometimes be funny. This clip he was trying really hard and failing 

Here's what folks need to ask themselves about Allen and the Bills:

When opposing coaches draw up their game plan, who on Buffalo's offense are they focused on stopping?

The answer is easy

8 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You are absolutely right from the perspective of the average fan. Most of us do not watch every game out there and often, make judgements about performances of players from other teams based off highlights and stats. However, if your JOB is to provided commentary on sports and you decide to comment, on a national platform, about a specific player, perhaps you should do a little more indepth analysis prior to making the comments....

And again I put very little blame on Allen, because I think the Coach & OC have done very little to help him & design an offense that like they say about a child "Only a mother could love".....

This is what drives me crazy here as we are all Bills fans.  Be honest this offense is seldom fun to watch.  They can't/won't throw for 300 yards, seldom put up points and their philosophy is make no mistakes, control field position & take time off the clock......  

Really if not a Bills fan, why would you watch them?  

Be honest if no rooting interest, however know some history & just look at scores, how far down would the Bill be?

LeBatard & the others are often talking heads.  Some like Mina Kimes, Katie Nolan have specific knowledge.  Most are just however sports fans & social commentators.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Phil,

What did he say about the Ravens strategy?  I'm unmotivated to actually listen.  Thanks.

Wise choice.

It was a bit of an embellishment.  I’m paraphrasing here but he said they left WR’s wide open down the field because they knew he couldn’t hit them.  He said it was the most disrespectful strategy he’s ever seen and that Pittsburgh chose not to do that and that’s why they lost.  

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

And again I put very little blame on Allen, because I think the Coach & OC have done very little to help him & design an offense that like they say about a child "Only a mother could love".....

This is what drives me crazy here as we are all Bills fans.  Be honest this offense is seldom fun to watch.  They can't/won't throw for 300 yards, seldom put up points and their philosophy is make no mistakes, control field position & take time off the clock......  

Really if not a Bills fan, why would you watch them?  

Be honest if no rooting interest, however know some history & just look at scores, how far down would the Bill be?

LeBatard & the others are often talking heads.  Some like Mina Kimes, Katie Nolan have specific knowledge.  Most are just however sports fans & social commentators.  

Anyone who blames coaching and not the QB is just scapegoating.  

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Phil,

They dared him to throw by Blitzing & little coverage & he failed.  Of course they didn't see the game & the drops & the fact that Daboll made no apparent adjustments.....

BTW there was a boring game up against them that ended 48-46 (btw SF held Balt to 20 the week prior on the road).

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

They dared him to throw by Blitzing & little coverage & he failed.  Of course they didn't see the game & the drops & the fact that Daboll made no apparent adjustments.....

BTW there was a boring game up against them that ended 48-46 (btw SF held Balt to 20 the week prior on the road).

Thanks

Daboll is sometimes maddeningly slow to adjust, and of course, one viewpoint is that the game turned on a personnel package that put Knox 1:1 with Judon.

Wow! these guys are clueless. I cant believe these saps get paid for spouting that garbage. I understand he makes mistakes, but he's young and learning, but his physical skills are undeniable and he brings a lot more to the table than that. what a bunch of clowns.

5 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Wise choice.

It was a bit of an embellishment.  I’m paraphrasing here but he said they left WR’s wide open down the field because they knew he couldn’t hit them.  He said it was the most disrespectful strategy he’s ever seen and that Pittsburgh chose not to do that and that’s why they lost.  

Anyone who blames coaching and not the QB is just scapegoating.  

So it is Allen?  

The coaching Sunday at the end of the half & the last two drives was indicative of the coaching philosophy all year.

They coach him as if he is their third stringer in as an emergency.  

Until I see a game where they consistently try & ram it down an opponents throat & aren't content with 14 points in a half, you can't convince me.

If he is so so bad, time to draft another QB.

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please, Kind Sir, permit me to Empower you to start New Topics of Rare and Great Interest to yourself

These are neither rare nor great, unfortunately.  But they are difficult to understand and never ending--like PPP!

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So it is Allen?  

The coaching Sunday at the end of the half & the last two drives was indicative of the coaching philosophy all year.

Until I see a game where they consistently try & ram it down an opponents throat & aren't content with 14 points in a half, you can't convince me.

14 points a half would put us about 4th in the league in ppg.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So it is Allen?  

You do realize that some of the play calls are designed giving his current development and game situations.

The calls Sunday were somewhat conservative and Daboll admitted to that.  When they tied the game up at 10-1 he said they went conservative to even up the score and to put the pressure back on Hodges.  He felt confident about the defense’s ability to pressure him into mistakes and it worked!

Also the 3rd down call that led to the Kroft TD was hardly conservative. 

If they were playing against a more effective offense they wouldn’t do this.  But given the situation it made sense 

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

You do realize that some of the play calls are designed giving his current development and game situations.

The calls Sunday were somewhat conservative and Daboll admitted to that.  When they tied the game up at 10-1 he said they went conservative to even up the score and to put the pressure back on Hodges.  He felt confident about the defense’s ability to pressure him into mistakes and it worked!

Also the 3rd down call that led to the Kroft TD was hardly conservative. 

If they were playing against a more effective offense they wouldn’t do this.  But given the situation it made sense 

Always an excuse.....  They've played conservative all year long.  Sunday was a new low.  

This Development excuse is cr$p.....  He is 25 games in & they have yet to give him the keys to the car.  

Allen is their future.  He has shown the ability to win in the 4trh quarter. Time to see what he can do for 60 minutes.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

I've never cared what other people think...not going to start now

I think most of us don’t care, but this is outrageous. Nationally broadcast current sports banter and they go off in a hate tangent about things obviously they’ve never been able to do themselves.

It rates throwing monkey crap their way.

#ProveThemWrongJosh!

• Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I think most of us don’t care, but this is outrageous. Nationally broadcast current sports banter and they go off in a hate tangent about things obviously they’ve never been able to do themselves.

It rates throwing monkey crap their way.

#ProveThemWrongJosh!

c'mon, the family tree is only a few generations into learning not to fling it....  :(

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So it is Allen?  

Allen gets at least another year, but the play calling and their attempt at hiding our passing game is a concern. Either they don't trust the QB, or they are playing a conservative playing style you don't see from many top NFL teams. 

Overall the ESPN take is too harsh. Allen has talent, and he can make the hard throws look easy, but his lack of consistency is a concern and he really needs to improve his deep ball which is among the worst in the league. 

Hopefully he takes a big step forward next year. I assume he'll have more weapons to work with then and if our passing game isn't at least average by NFL standards we probably have a real problem on our hands. 

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Start at 6:13. This is some of the most vehement hate for Allen I've seen. Methinks this should find its way to Josh...

Absolutely ridiculous!

Bills Mafia has to start complaining about Espn Philadelphia did it a couple of years ago when they had radio announcers on Wip telling listeners to go to there website and scroll all the way down on there web page  to where you see contact us after that they hardly complain about the eagles any more.  So if you hate Espn go to there web page and scroll all the way down to where you see Contact us.

Just now, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Bills Mafia has to start complaining about Espn Philadelphia did it a couple of years ago when they had radio announcers on Wip telling listeners to go to there website and scroll all the way down on there web page  to where you see contact us after that they hardly complain about the eagles any more.  So if you hate Espn go to there web page and scroll all the way down to where you see Contact us.

it's amazing how WFAN has remained mostly civil and enjoyable for 3 decades now, i posit that having Somers as the voice of the station, and his classy patter, has helped?

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Always an excuse.....  They've played conservative all year long.  Sunday was a new low.  

This Development excuse is cr$p.....  He is 25 games in & they have yet to give him the keys to the car.  

Allen is their future.  He has shown the ability to win in the 4trh quarter. Time to see what he can do for 60 minutes.

I'm pretty sure the coaches care more about wining and making a push into the playoffs.  But yeah, as every knows, coaches love gambling and setting up gameplans that increase their chances of losing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

Allen gets at least another year, but the play calling and their attempt at hiding our passing game is a concern. Either they don't trust the QB, or they are playing a conservative playing style you don't see from many top NFL teams. 

Overall the ESPN take is too harsh. Allen has talent, and he can make the hard throws look easy, but his lack of consistency is a concern and he really needs to improve his deep ball which is among the worst in the league. 

Hopefully he takes a big step forward next year. I assume he'll have more weapons to work with then and if our passing game isn't at least average by NFL standards we probably have a real problem on our hands. 

Are you serious the kid got us to the playoffs in his second year with literally no offensive talent.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

you whined for national attention....

YOU GOT IT, SPORT!!

now are y'all happy....

Just now, Marvlevydraftdaygenius said:

Are you serious the kid got us to the playoffs in his second year with literally no offensive talent.

a great apprenticeship for Brady 2.0

Just now, brianb386 said:

I'm not angry at them, just kind of confused as to who they are and why they have a show on a major network. Also, who is tuning in and valuing their "expert" opinions?

i much enjoy all the "cast off" talent that has the best podcasts on their own (usually through Simmons)

i only tune in when stuck in a hotel room with time to burn and i have to preserve all my energy

11 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

And that is it in a nutshell..  No other NFL team thinks every week that 17 points will win the game.

No other team in 2017, 2018 & 2019 (and the common denominator is the HC) has not passed for 300 yards in at least 1 game/yr.......  47 games & counting (46 under this coach).

9 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I'm pretty sure the coaches care more about wining and making a push into the playoffs.  But yeah, as every knows, coaches love gambling and setting up gameplans that increase their chances of losing. 

I forgot the Bills were 46-0 under McD......  Oh yea they pulled the same protect a lead & let the defense win the game vs. Cleveland & lost.  So it does not work all the time.

Edited by Billsfan1972

10 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Wise choice.

?

The Ravens were playing very physical coverage.  They were undressing Beasley, and had their hands all over Brown all day.   (As one poster colorfully put it here "Beasley and Brown needed rape kits after that game"). They knew just how to cover Brown - he's a former teammate.  They put two guys on Foster and knocked him down.  Our guys struggled against physical coverage.  Someone asked McD about it on Monday after the game and he ack'd.

There's a chicken-and-egg conundrum here.  They had confidence in their coverage largely because they were winning the OL battle - Big Time - forcing Allen to throw under pressure and to 'feel the heat' every down.  They were able to keep winning the OL battle because Allen missed some deep throws so they didn't have to adjust, but that wasn't what ultimately decided the game.   Allen not taking the easy completions when they were there, the drops, sticking to a pass protection scheme that wasn't getting it done, and we were still right there in the final moments.

Pitts tried to do a similar thing and Brown/Allen/Daboll had a "Renegade" plan to beat it which worked.  Give Brown credit, he stepped it up.

The next week against Darnold, the Ravens D wasn't playing nearly so fierce.  They didn't need to be.  Like us against the Duck, they figured they'd limit the rush, give up some yards and some points and Darnold would make mistakes that balanced his throws.  1 fumble lost, 1 INT for Sam.  Mission: accomplished.