I Like The Pro Bowl Snubs

Irv

There are a handful of our guys who deserved it or at least way better reserve status.  Makes them pissed and more determined to kick a$$ in the playoffs.  Good motivator.  We'll get more in the 1st Team P-Bowl in the upcoming years - Oliver, Milano, Edmunds, Allen, Singeltary, Brown.  Let the boys get angry.  Here we come.

• Like (+1) 2

It probably didn’t cost you, say,  a quarter million or so, so I can see how it might be more OK with you than some players. 

I get the underdog, us against the world mentality, and our time will come. Established guys always get the benefit of the doubt, even after they have left their prime. I’d rather be going into our prime than leaving it.

In another thread about this, it was suggested that they pay those deserving the bonus regardless. If that is a legit thing to do, it could build some serious goodwill with those presently on the team, or FA prospects in years to come. Be a First Class organization. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

It probably didn’t cost you, say,  a quarter million or so, so I can see how it might be more OK with you than some players. 

I get the underdog, us against the world mentality, and our time will come. Established guys always get the benefit of the doubt, even after they have left their prime. I’d rather be going into our prime than leaving it.

In another thread about this, it was suggested that they pay those deserving the bonus regardless. If that is a legit thing to do, it could build some serious goodwill with those presently on the team, or FA prospects in years to come. Be a First Class organization. 

So serious question:

Can the team do that?  Would it count against the Salary Cap if they did?

The problem that I see is that it could easily be or become a sore spot - if two players both feel they should be pro-bowl bound, neither get the nod, and the coach taps one for a bonus and not the other.

It could easily become a source of friction or discontent.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So serious question:

I don’t know if they can, but I’m almost positive it would count against the cap. Too easy to cheat if not. @Kirby Jackson and some others brought it up as a real option, so I gave it some weight. 

17 minutes ago, Irv said:

There are a handful of our guys who deserved it or at least way better reserve status.  Makes them pissed and more determined to kick a$$ in the playoffs.  Good motivator.  We'll get more in the 1st Team P-Bowl in the upcoming years - Oliver, Milano, Edmunds, Allen, Singeltary, Brown.  Let the boys get angry.  Here we come.

Considering that the Cheatriots are falling down a hill at an advanced rate, it may be YEAR instead of YEARS.

20 minutes ago, Irv said:

Playing angry does not translate to winning.

It translates to sloppy play and penalties. 

Negative motivation has never produced positive results. 

It produces spite and individuality. 

Let’s just win the Super Bowl. 

3 hours ago, Kiva said:

Playing angry does not translate to winning.

It translates to sloppy play and penalties. 

Negative motivation has never produced positive results. 

It produces spite and individuality. 

Let’s just win the Super Bowl. 

Guess you weren't paying attention to last Sunday when the Bills defense took a Duck Hodges comment personally and played angry against him. They picked him off 4 times and sacked him a bunch, then talked about how slighted they were after the game for his comments.

• Thank you (+1) 1

One of the most admirable things about this team, especially compared to some off the "soft" teams we consistently fielded pre-McBeane, is that they come to the field prepared to give a great effort each week (perhaps the Eagles game being a outlier - but that happens somewhere in a season to all teams). I believe that the snubs may provide some additional motivation for some individual players - however, I suspect that it will have minimal impact on the game itself. This group takes the "next game", "one game at a time" message seriously. A little "us against the world" drama does not make much of a difference - this is a disciplined & motivated group, for the most part they behave like professionals. They will be ready to give a maximum effort on Saturday - no matter what anyone on the outside has to say, whether it be positive or negative.       

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So serious question:

The problem that I see is that it could easily be or become a sore spot - if two players both feel they should be pro-bowl bound, neither get the nod, and the coach taps one for a bonus and not the other.

It could easily become a source of friction or discontent.

Are performance bonuses part of most contracts?

I'm assuming all players have something in their contracts about a Pro Bowl Bonus.

But why not just scratch that and put performance bonuses in there without having to win a stupid popularity contest?

12 hours ago, Augie said:

there's no "us" in football, beyond who is producing today, and some sentimental holding onto a rusty vet