The Bills should re-sign Shaq and J. Phillips

TPS

1 minute ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’d imagine around $7-$8MM a year for Shaq unless he has a freak game and gets over 10 sacks. Phillips is harder to estimate because we’re looking at an anomalous year that’s top 5 in production. Phillips is likely getting a big offer or two from a desperate team.... but.... Phillips knows the difference between a good and bad organization. 

That is how I see it so far.

Both will be looking for 4 year deals IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I don't think anyone on this board knows what each one of these guys value is on the open market.

That's the issue right now.

I will bet dollars to donuts that Beane will be negotiating the best he can.

We all will have to wait to see what happens.

Pretty much this.

The only thing I would say, is that while  they would both get good offers in FA, neither is going to be bank busting.

High end, not necessarily top end. As such, they should both (hopefully) be affordable.

Fwiw, I think it's no coincidence that the improvement in stopping the run, has come with the increase in snaps, that Lawson in particular, has got.

As to the notion of letting them walk to get compensatory picks, well, to me, that's inane. You've got 1st and 2nd round picks, playing up towards their draft status, and you want to let them walk for comp picks, the best of which is going to be a late 3rd rounder. Doubt that is part of the 'process' for acquiring talent. ;)

why create a hole at DT?

Re-sign Phillips to a 4 year, $55 million deal with a bunch guaranteed. We've got the cap space and he is young and has really bought into the system here. 

Going forward you have Star, Oliver, Harry and Phillips at DT. That's a nice rotation. 

It's time to stack some talent. Why have a great 26 year old DT who is playing extremely well, let him walk, then spend a high draft pick to replace him?

INSTEAD, keep that DT and then stack talent with that high round pick. We don't have the nutzo QB contract so take advantage of that! 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Pretty much this.

The only thing I would say, is that while  they would both get good offers in FA, neither is going to be bank busting.

High end, not necessarily top end. As such, they should both (hopefully) be affordable.

Fwiw, I think it's no coincidence that the improvement in stopping the run, has come with the increase in snaps, that Lawson in particular, has got.

As to the notion of letting them walk to get compensatory picks, well, to me, that's inane. You've got 1st and 2nd round picks, playing up towards their draft status, and you want to let them walk for comp picks, the best of which is going to be a late 3rd rounder. Doubt that is part of the 'process' for acquiring talent. ;)

You, Beane and I would like the bolded.  LOL

As for "comp picks" I don't personally get what people get concerned about.  If you get them you get them.

With all the cash Beane has to work with I don't see the Bills qualifying for them this coming year.

• Like (+1) 1

I understood and was in favor that these guys would probably be moving on to greener pastures after this year going into this season but wow it's really going to be a much more complicated situation now.  Not only have we gotten a lot of production out of these guys but these guys really bring some bravado and have become a huge part of the defensive identity of this team.  It seems like both guys have bought into what McDermott is selling.  I am all for getting as much continuity as possible but the biggest question will obviously be can we afford to resign both of them or at least one of them?  Because you know all the McBeane draft picks White, Edmunds, Oliver, Milano will be getting extended offers.  Will be the most interesting offseason of Beane yet. 

44 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I feel that we should let @TPS go after the season.  His contract is up and just doesn’t bring enough to the table creating quality threads.  His responses are forgettable as well, bringing down his value even more.  

Happy Holidays to you too.

26 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You dont "pass" on your own good players when they mature....you sign them

Good DT, definitely try to resign Phillips...

Shaq is a different situation.  We thought so 'highly' coming into this year that we passed on his 5th year of his deal...

So this year Shaq is playing for a new deal.  So has he really matured or is he just balling out THIS year so he can get a good contract?

Most of the time people that are only playing for a deal revert back to their 'normal' not hair on fire performance.

2 hours ago, TPS said:

Both of these guys have bought into the process and should be re-signed. Statistically, I think they are the best options as well.

jordan Phillips is straightforward: 9.5 sacks on 460 defensive snaps. Compare that to A. DONALD who has 11 sacks on 823 defensive snaps. Hopefully, he'll be willing to take a home town discount. At any rate, signing him keeps their DT rotation in place and continuity is valuable. 

Shaq is the more interesting case. Many people want the Bills to go after yannick Ngakoue of the Jags. Compare their stats. Ngakoue has 8 sacks, 13 TFLs, and 13 QB hits on 680 defensive snaps; Shaq has 6.5 sacks, 12 TFLs, and 17 QB hits on 435 defensive snaps. There really is no comparison, Shaq is the better player based on production per snap. And, Again, continuity is valuable. The Bills should then draft an edge rusher in one of the first two rounds to groom behind Hughes. 

It would probably take $16-20 million/ year, but it would lock them in for their next 4-year super bowl run. If D. Johnson continues to develop, then they could also move on from Murphy which saves them $7 mil.  Shaq has been more productive anyway, and should be the starting LDE. 

At any rate, I think this may be the best route for the Bills, and it keeps the D nearly intact.

Agreed. Get them both signed. They proved themselves this season

8 minutes ago, hjnick said:

Good DT, definitely try to resign Phillips...

Shaq is a different situation.  We thought so 'highly' coming into this year that we passed on his 5th year of his deal...

So this year Shaq is playing for a new deal.  So has he really matured or is he just balling out THIS year so he can get a good contract?

Most of the time people that are only playing for a deal revert back to their 'normal' not hair on fire performance.

Shaq's 5th year option was 9.5 million.  His new contract (wherever that is) won't be THAT high I don't think.

Personally I don't think Shaq is playing well this year just for the money, he was in a weird situation and seems to be finding his way.

It happens that way sometimes.

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

since this has been discussed at length - to save this thread let me introduce a new wrinkle - COMP PICKS.

That consideration alone makes it very unlikely we resign both, though I would welcome the continuity.

Bills will be active again in FA this year.  Comp picks are still a year away imo.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

He probably has, which makes him average. Nobody on our line is a dominant pass rusher. Defensive ends who can stop the run, but can't produce sacks, grow on trees.

Yeah the Bills should add a stud pass rusher like a Frank Clark or a Dee Ford.  Maybe a Carlos Dunlap or Calais Campbell.

Oh wait they have equal to or as many sacks as Shaq.

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

why create a hole at DT?

Re-sign Phillips to a 4 year, $55 million deal with a bunch guaranteed. We've got the cap space and he is young and has really bought into the system here. 

Going forward you have Star, Oliver, Harry and Phillips at DT. That's a nice rotation. 

It's time to stack some talent. Why have a great 26 year old DT who is playing extremely well, let him walk, then spend a high draft pick to replace him?

INSTEAD, keep that DT and then stack talent with that high round pick. We don't have the nutzo QB contract so take advantage of that! 

I have been preaching this!!! Why make holes when they have so much money.  Time to stack talent not just replace talent.  As for you worried about them getting paid and taking it easy, you haven't been paying attention.  That is not the type of players the Bills have on the team.  They have guys that go to work, embrace the team idea, and work not only for themselves but each other.  If they were money focused players they would have already been jettisoned.  

Lawson and Phillips have not only been productive but they have brought an attitude to this defense.  These dudes are playing with fire and intensity and producing.  You don't let that go.  I loved the Shaq pick and now he is ballin. Jordan is on the sidelines pumping the crowd up going crazy.  How can you not want these guys to stay Buffalo Bills.  

My name is section122 and I would like your vote for Jordan Phillips fan club president. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think they should, it’s kind of a no brainer imo. When a group is working this good together it would be like breaking up the Beatles. 

Its gonna take some doing to resign the ones we should, and bring in upgrades where needed, glad I’m not footing the bill. ?

GO BILLS!!!