Does Jordan Phillips ever get 10 sacks again?

Kelly the Dog

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes?

No?

I expect it will be 10 by season’s end. Will he ever do it again? 

I say no but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t re-sign him. We should depending on the money. He loves Buffalo. He’s going to demand more than he is worth. But we should sign him and likely release Star. 

Different positions for the DTs.  I don't see Star getting cut, but they may look to cut his salary by a few mil.   Could be win win for both.  He's valuable to the D, but not worth $10 mil

20 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Star and Phillips play two completely different roles on the LOS. It's like comparing an edge rush OLB sack numbers to a MLB.

Star is a lineman eating DT that allows other players like Phillips, Edmunds, Milano to perform their playmaking roles. Star will not show up on the stat sheet, but if the unit is playing well and guys like Edmunds are moving freely in space and Phillips is undressing single blockers and can't be double teamed -- then Star is doing his job.

exactly.    Jordan can be more readily replaced.   Guys like Star are few are far between.   Scouts and teams know this.   Will be an interesting test for Beane to handle this one, along with a few others (Milano, the O Line guys, etc. ) ..  Next up Challenge for the McBeanes is can they hang on to their hand picked guys who have made the locker room as tight as it appears to be.  Trust it.  They will figure it out. 

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes?

No?

I say no but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t re-sign him. We should depending on the money. He loves Buffalo. He’s going to demand more than he is worth. But we should sign him and likely release Star. 

He's got 9.5 already on the season. YES.  

With the way the defense is built.    I say YES again.

For his career 15.0    (only 5.5 with Miami) 

Some people THRIVE when they get to Buffalo.  Just like (2 examples) Jerry Hughes, and Poyer,  we got the best from them 

Some people crap the bed when they leave Buffalo. kudos to us. 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes?

No?

Not with the Bills because he's never going to get more than 50% of the snap counts sharing time with Ed. I hope he's willing to take a little less $$ to stay here. He's a good fit.

6 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Why not? If you think it's no please explain why? The guy is really fast for his size and he's got plenty of talented players around him to draw some heat away. 

What's important is that he will continue to be disruptive, of that I have no doubt. Whether it translates to sacks? Who knows.

Agreed. While sacks are important, I feel like that can be a bit of an overrated stat. Disruption and pressure are key. 

6 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yes?

No?

10 sacks from the DT position is really hard to do. However I do think in this scheme with this rotation YES. Wait until he is next to a year 2 or year 3 Oliver 

and ultimately it is the scheme and his success in this scheme that will have him Re-sign for less than people think. 

Edited by MAJBobby

9.5 sacks so far this season. Next best season: 2.  The question of what to expect going forward is a huge one.  Has he turned the corner or is this season an anomaly (a contract year anomaly no less)?  I really don’t know, but I have a strong suspicion that there is a team or two out there that will be willing to pay him like a 10 sack DT.  I’d like to retain him, but I don’t think the Bills go there if that’s where his price ends up. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Why not? If you think it's no please explain why? The guy is really fast for his size and he's got plenty of talented players around him to draw some heat away. 

What's important is that he will continue to be disruptive, of that I have no doubt. Whether it translates to sacks? Who knows.

He’s not really good against the run and that could be the reason we let him go , but I would rather keep him over Star 

Edited by Putin

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

9.5 sacks so far this season. Next best season: 2.  The question of what to expect going forward is a huge one.  Has he turned the corner or is this season an anomaly (a contract year anomaly no less)?  I really don’t know, but I have a strong suspicion that there is a team or two out there that will be willing to pay him like a 10 sack DT.  I’d like to retain him, but I don’t think the Bills go there if that’s where his price ends up. 

I would pay him Stars money in a heartbeat before paying Star that money. 

1 minute ago, Putin said:

He’s not really good against the run and that could be the reason we let him go 

he has been better against the run the last 4 weeks. Once he stopped trying to 2 gap and penetrate (his skill set) he has been good blowing up run plays. 

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I would pay him Stars money in a heartbeat before paying Star that money. 

I said it when they gave it to him and I’ll say it now: Star’s contract is a travesty.  A front loaded 5 year/$50M contract for a NT that doesn’t even require a double team and quit doing his one job - stopping the run - years ago (before we signed him).  If the Bills part ways with him after this season he’ll have been paid $26M for two seasons of poor play.  That’s absolutely ridiculous.  So, yeah, there’s a lot of players that I’d give that contract to before him.  At least a case could be made for Phillips being worth it. 

Hard to really know if he is ONLY playing this way for a contract or is it also just to be the best DT he can game in and game out? I’ll leave that up to McDermott and Beane. If he is totally all in and will keep up this intensity going forward I say pay him well but not Dareus money!!

1 minute ago, Maynard said:

I’d love to re-sign him. Can’t we just tag him next year or no? Give him another year to see what he’s got.

Tag will cost more than a long term deal. Bills shouldn’t overthink this. Give home that 8-9M AVV and be done with it 

I'd definitely like to see him stay and I think he can be more productive in Buffalo than anywhere else. Hopefully the price is right because he's playing better than anyone on our DL right now. Remember that he was a 2nd round pick, so it's not a complete surprise that he's coming around.