This weeks look (laugh) at the Power Rankings

1 hour ago, PolishPrince said:

And yet a lot of power rankings have Houston and Tennessee above us who have less wins than us... and we beat Tennessee lol - so obviously wins arent everything apparently. We have a top 3 defense, we also average rankings between offense and defense better than a lot of those teams, like Seattle for instance.

Think the big thing hurting us particularly early on is so many games we just squeaked by against weak teams, Miami the 1st time, Washington, Cinci, Giants while teams like NE were beating them by 20 points.  And the other thing that hurt  us early on were all the turnovers by Allen.

Also think the ranking work alot like college football rankings. Teams get hardly any upward movement for improvements, its more a case of teams ranked higher faltering and dropping which indirectly moves you up.  And just as we started to get respect, we get blown out by Philly.

Looking at the Washington Post rankings that you linked, I see:

1. Baltimore Ravens (12-2) | Last Week’s Rank: 1
2. New Orleans Saints (11-3) | Last Week’s Rank: 3
3. Seattle Seahawks (11-3) | Last Week’s Rank: 4
4. Kansas City Chiefs (10-4) | Last Week’s Rank: 5
5. New England Patriots (11-3) | Last Week’s Rank: 6
6. Green Bay Packers (11-3) | Last Week’s Rank: 7
7. San Francisco 49ers (11-3) | Last Week’s Rank: 2
8. Minnesota Vikings (10-4) | Last Week’s Rank: 8
9. Buffalo Bills (10-4) | Last Week’s Rank: 10

I don't see the Bills as being "better" than any of those 8 teams. The 9 ranking seems fair.

3 hours ago, peterpan said:

The NFC is really strong this year.  Sea, SF, NO, GB, Minn are all going to be higher rates than Buffalo.  NE and Balt should be higher rates in the AFC at this point.   That's 7 teams right there, putting bills at 8.  Being 9 or 10 is accurate and a strong ranking I'd say. 

NFC East is trash.   GB and Minn are not better than the Bills.  

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How was beating the Steelers (who's 4th string QB was driving for a tying TD as far as the Bills 24 in the final 90 seconds, thwarted by an EZ int) a more impressive victory than the win over the Cowboys? 

the Bills were the underdog 

the Bills won.  

credit Bills for teaching a 3rd string QB what not to do on 2 consecutive drives. 

2 hours ago, buffalostu2 said:

No one pays attention to the Buffalo Bills. But they’re back in the playoffs after winning in Pittsburgh.

By Mark Maske 
Dec. 15, 2019 at 9:41 p.m. MST

"There aren’t that many people outside Western New York, it seems, who pay much attention to the Buffalo Bills. Not this season. Not this century. Not ever, really"

No one pays attention?  Then how do you explain the recent TV ratings? 

The Bills militia stretches across the US and around the world.   They can all write this garbage until our playoff run comes to their town! 

living in DC 

what he says is what this region as a whole believes even though I’ve met hundreds of Bills fans in the region. 

5 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Who had 8? 

never mind  The Sporting News 

8. Buffalo Bills, 10-4 (9)

The Bills threw down their most impressive victory of their breakout season with their defensive dominance of the Steelers in Pittsburgh. They are showing they can do all the little and big things to win games in the playoffs, too

NFL power rankings: Packers, Chiefs, Seahawks rise; 49ers ...

That settles it! I'm renewing my subscription to The Sporting News right freaking now!?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

the Bills were the underdog 

the Bills won.  

credit Bills for teaching a 3rd string QB what not to do on 2 consecutive drives. 

living in DC 

what he says is what this region as a whole believes even though I’ve met hundreds of Bills fans in the region. 

The Bills were basically the favorite. You normally get 3 points for being at home and the Bills were -1.  

Edited by C.Biscuit97

7 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

i'm seeing 9 or 10 from just about everywhere..... so I'm failing to see any real issues here. 

Yup....that seems just about right.   The top 7 teams are not really debatable IMO.  (Balt, KC, NE, Sea, SF, GB, NO).   

As of now, Bills are in next group.

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

come on WEO. You can do better than that. 

unless I am totally clueless 

The lines are “set” before bets are made. 

You know how this works.  Lines are set to test the market.  It's an educated guess as to where bettors aren going to put their money.  I heard on ESPN radio that local Fanduel in Indy last night was offering -51 real time, which its silly, but that's what it was taking to get local action on the Colts.  Not one really thinks the Saints were 7+ TD better team than the Colts.

8. Buffalo Bills

(10-5. Last week: 7)

There's no such thing as a good loss, but Saturday's defeat at New England was as close as it gets. The Bills went on the road and took the Patriots down to a last-minute drive. The Patriots, once again, are the kings of the AFC East. But the Bills have emerged as princes and may eventually overthrow the division dynasty. For now, the Bills are in the playoffs and locked in as the No. 5 seed. Despite the loss, they grew up some Saturday. Second-year quarterback Josh Allen went head to head with Tom Brady. Allen can make plays with his feet and his arms, and he's only going to get better. So are the Bills. They're a dangerous team entering this year's playoffs. Coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane have assembled a roster that's going to be good for a long time.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/touchdown-wires-week-17-nfl-power-rankings-—-playoff-picture-becoming-clearer/ss-BBYiguS?ocid=spartandhp#image=25

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/17/2019 at 4:12 PM, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Looking at the Washington Post rankings that you linked, I see:

1. Baltimore Ravens (12-2) | Last Week’s Rank: 1
2. New Orleans Saints (11-3) | Last Week’s Rank: 3
3. Seattle Seahawks (11-3) | Last Week’s Rank: 4
4. Kansas City Chiefs (10-4) | Last Week’s Rank: 5
5. New England Patriots (11-3) | Last Week’s Rank: 6
6. Green Bay Packers (11-3) | Last Week’s Rank: 7
7. San Francisco 49ers (11-3) | Last Week’s Rank: 2
8. Minnesota Vikings (10-4) | Last Week’s Rank: 8
9. Buffalo Bills (10-4) | Last Week’s Rank: 10

I don't see the Bills as being "better" than any of those 8 teams. The 9 ranking seems fair.

I see the Bills beating Minnesota.  When the bright lights are on, Kirk Cousins is nowhere to be found because he is cowering in the corner in the locker room. Josh Allen is delivering virtuoso performances on stage in those situations.

In the most important game of the year for the Vikings, Cousins accounted for 7 total first downs.  Puke.

Edited by matter2003

3 hours ago, The Red King said:

Power rankings are designed to stir the pot, whip people up.  Topics like this prove it works, week after week.

? correct- I don’t buy into them. Written by little jock sniffers that have never played a sport in their lives except sword cross at the potty ?

On 12/17/2019 at 11:46 AM, BfloBillsFan said:

As much as we would agree that the offense needs to improve, they did play a stout Steelers D, leading the league in sacks and turnovers.  Everyone knew it would be an offensive struggle.

Damn straight!

On 12/17/2019 at 11:47 AM, peterpan said:

The NFC is really strong this year.  Sea, SF, NO, GB, Minn are all going to be higher rates than Buffalo.  NE and Balt should be higher rates in the AFC at this point.   That's 7 teams right there, putting bills at 8.  Being 9 or 10 is accurate and a strong ranking I'd say. 

I think KC should arguably be higher.  Some would put the Texans higher as well.  Both have better offense and not as good defense.  Ditto Vikes.  Then you get into arguing strength of schedule and point diff and all that jazz.  Who knows?

Somewhere between 8-10 is pretty much right.