Who will conquer the wind this Sunday?

Stallions

The forecast for Orchard Park is partly sunny, 45 degrees & WINDS at 20-25 MPH from the South.

Josh can throw through this type of wind.  Can Lamar or will he run more often?

Interesting and fun game this week!

**UPDATED FORECAST**    Winds now 20 mph + with gusts up to 30 mph.  Tough to pass!

Edited by Stallions

3 minutes ago, Stallions said:

The forecast for Orchard Park is partly sunny, 45 degrees & WINDS at 20-25 MPH from the South.

Josh can throw through this type of wind.  Can Lamar or will he run more often?

Interesting and fun game this week!

Baltimore’s game the past few weeks has been to pound the ball and throw shorter passes.  I don’t think that the winds will really change that, though if the Bills can somehow slow the ground game (which is way easier said than done) I think it bodes well 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Baltimore’s game the past few weeks has been to pound the ball and throw shorter passes.  I don’t think that the winds will really change that, though if the Bills can somehow slow the ground game (which is way easier said than done) I think it bodes well 

This.  Lamar Jackson is never going to get caught up in a passing duel.  It's just not his game.  A strong wing from the south would tend to be a cross wind at New Era Field.  That will make long field goals an adventure even for a usually reliable kicker.  That will affect strategy on drives that end in the area of the (opponent's) 30 to 40 yard line.  Buffalo will not want Josh chucking the ball deep all afternoon, not that he would anyway.  The bottom line is wind will be a factor, but it's not going to be the story of the game unless one of the teams is really stupid in their approach to it.  Neither coaching staff is stupid.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

So a couple of things.  Yes, Baltimore's game has been to pound the ball and throw shorter passes, but the "don't sleep on the passing game" thing is just when the opponent is desperate to contain him and stop that short game to the TEs, he'll throw the long bomb - he completed a 40 yard beaut in Week 10 against the Bengals and threw an incomplete bomb in nasty conditions against SF.  Week 9, incomplete.  Week 7, completed one.   The Rams game was an exception (they did win 45-6), but it seems as though Jackson will try one or two deep bombs a game, just to remind the defense that they still need to cover the WR. 

Of course, if he tries one and you can pick it like the Steelers did (picked him 3x overall), Bonus for the D. 

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This defense knows how to play the run ever since the Eagles game.  Adjustments in schemes with Taylor and Liuget in the mix.  No worries here!

Shame, these conditions in a home game SHOULD make us favorites against just about the entire league outside Baltimore and the 49ers. Dealing with cooler weather and 20+ MPH, only Allen and a few others can manage. Tom would shrink (See Philadelphia away game), Brees would struggle. The list of cerebral QB's with fading arms is rather long.

About the only thing you would really not like to see if your Buffalo is a run oriented team and probably the best kicker in NFL history (should we end up in a one score game). That is exactly what we get Sunday.      

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 1

What's potentially helpful is if the wind shrinks the field on Baltimore's offense and allows the Bills to commit more bodies to stopping the run. If Baltimore seems reluctant to throw deep or outside the numbers then it could help the Bills contain the running game at least to some degree.

The wind vs. Philly absolutely stopped Wentz's downfield passing game but that did not help the Bills - they got gashed by power runs and screen passes. 

• Like (+1) 2