Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Hapless Bills Fan

Will Bird Fans Infiltrate New Era?

Recommended Posts

The #1 reason for all this is the lifting of the blackout rule.  Gameday attendance is not everyone's favorite way to view their team but often it was the only way to see them.  There are plenty of reasons to prefer to enjoy your favorite team in the comfort of your own living room or at a prime watch location.  This seems to be true all over the league as it is pretty easy for Bills fans to get tickets and make the trip when so inclined.  I have an extra pair that I usually sell on the ticket exchange but not this week because my regular seat is not available and I am still looking for someone to bring with me.  The pair got me $225, $243, $14O, $126, $36 and $45 which means I have almost broke even.  In a year like this, that does say that the gameday weather is a big factor in demand.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

They don’t have fans outside of Baltimore 

But to be fair it's a good excuse to get out of Baltimore 😂

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just one quick comment. Whatever form the new stadium takes, it almost certainly won't be a "dome".  It could be an enclosed stadium or one with a retractable roof, but I doubt it will be a domed stadium. 

 

Speaking strictly from personal experience, I have never had a great experience watching football or baseball inside.  Even the most miserable experiences in outdoor stadiums have been far superior to that of being indoors. Well, there is one exception. Watching the Bills/Packers in Milwaukee's old baseball stadium was pretty damn miserable, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:


why should they alienate people like me?  I have been a Bills fans my entire life. That life has taken me out of NY after I graduated College and got my Commission in the Army. But I still have been a season ticket holder for 21 years. I make it back to Buffalo for just about every game. (Sold my tickets twice this year). 
 

I also make it to 50% or so of their away games. Want to lose Fans? alienate those of us outside of your certain Zip Codes for season ticket purchase. 

Fans like you are fine cause you go to almost all the home games. Its the ones who buy season tickets that go to 1 or 2 games and sell the rest are the ones that's the problem. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

 

Bills fans travel well.............except to the Ralph in winter weather.😂

 

Out of our 8 home regular season games it looks like 5 of them will be either cold or bad weather/windy games.

 

Next stadium needs a roof.

 

Sorry to all those die-hards who prefer watching an outdoor game from the comfort of their couch at home but even when the Bills are decent the tickets are cold product in cold weather.   

 

I'm convinced that those that go the the game who don't want a roof are the same people who say they like shopping at Sears because it's "quiet and peaceful".:beer:

 

 

 

I don't really know what that last bit means, but I think you are right. Everyone loves the idea of these cold weather games, but if we play in a dome I 100% think every game will be sold out to Bills fans, even if ticket prices went up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

 

I don't really know what that last bit means, but I think you are right. Everyone loves the idea of these cold weather games, but if we play in a dome I 100% think every game will be sold out to Bills fans, even if ticket prices went up. 

 

I could be wrong but I think he's making this analogy:

"People claim they like shopping at Sears because it's quiet and peaceful, but it's quiet and peaceful because those people ain't actually walkin' in the door with their cash or plastic" "People claim they like an outdoor stadium in Buffalo and don't want a roof, but those people ain't actually walkin' into that outdoor stadium when 'baby it's cold outside' "

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are about 17 Ravens fans in total, so I don't expect many in attendance.

 

If there are any more than that in attendance, I'm sure they'll be wearing their new Lamar Jackson chinese jerseys.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

 

I don't really know what that last bit means, but I think you are right. Everyone loves the idea of these cold weather games, but if we play in a dome I 100% think every game will be sold out to Bills fans, even if ticket prices went up. 

the group of 15-20 that I go to most of my games(4-6 a year) with have discussed this quite a bit. its a pretty fair consensus that if the bills put in a dome they'd lose a decent amount of our attendance. if they did that AND made it more expensive then i'd have a hard time going to more than 1 or 2 a year.... maybe its just us? but I doubt that.

 

my wife HATES the cold and she even admitted the dome experience down in indy last year SUCKED to watch a live game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its Amazing how little some tickets are selling for.  What’s the climate up there that people don’t seem to want to go to the games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Codyny13 said:

its Amazing how little some tickets are selling for.  What’s the climate up there that people don’t seem to want to go to the games?

this week its about perfect for a late season game. 45 and dry...… for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

44 and cloudy. Seems about like a perfect football day IMO. Unfortunately having very young kids nowadays and a 2 hour drive doesn’t let me get there as much as I used to. 5 to 6 homes games has now turned into 3, maybe 4, tops. 

 

For the people much closer it’s crazy to me that the team is 9-3, in a huge AFC matchup, with a rep for being a passionate fan base and there are that many seats available online right now.... $40??? Really????? It just blows my mind. 
 

hopefully the stadium is still rocking and and it’s hardly noticeable on Sunday. 

   

 

I don't judge people for not coming..........let's face it,  Russ was right that "the brand is tarnished".........late season Bills football has become synonymous with "meaningless" and over the course of near 20 years of not being a serious SB contender people get used to making plans to do other things in December.   Not even considering the Bills schedule.    Factor in the expectation of bad weather and most fans aren't even giving much thought to attending and it's not easy to pivot on plans after a nice November run of football.

 

It's going to take some time and winning to change that and even then it's always going to be a struggle late in the season if weather is a factor.

 

But how can you start your take with befuddlement about why people aren't going to the game and finish that first breath with "I'm unable to attend" and then start the next thought with how embarrassing it is and price shaming Bills fans?  That's just a lack of self accountability for the perceived problem on your part.    Why is your reason to be unable to attend so much better than everyone else's?   2 kids and 2 hour drive is a fine excuse on it's face IMO....... but not worthy of shaming your fellow fans.   Takes me 2 hours to get to the game and I have 5 kids and I can count the games I've missed in 25 years on one hand and still have enough digits left  to bowl a few frames.

 

I think we had a similar discussion in the "is it OK for fans to boo their team thread".    You were irate about the booing as I recall.   The reality is that there are about 20,000 or so season ticket holders who actually come to every game themselves and account for the 50k season tix sold.   That figure might even be too high.   I think only about 10% of club seat holders attended the last game. 😂   Frankly, if you aren't in that number that are there thru thick and thin every week it's not right to be calling out the fanbase for apathy or booing or anything really.   Start with the man in the mirror.:thumbsup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

this week its about perfect for a late season game. 45 and dry...… for now.

Nicer than it is here down in nyc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the group of 15-20 that I go to most of my games(4-6 a year) with have discussed this quite a bit. its a pretty fair consensus that if the bills put in a dome they'd lose a decent amount of our attendance. if they did that AND made it more expensive then i'd have a hard time going to more than 1 or 2 a year.... maybe its just us? but I doubt that.

 

my wife HATES the cold and she even admitted the dome experience down in indy last year SUCKED to watch a live game.

 

Really? You'd be less likely to go to a domed game? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lord I hope not. I have traveled to 2 games so far this season, and would have tried to get to this one if my weekend wasn't full of Christmas parties already. I was at the Broncos game and was 100% convinced that the crowd noise had an impact on the game.  We need every edge we can get in this game and I am hoping  the crowd is even louder than we were against Denver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I hear there are no tickets available unless you need a single

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

 

Really? You'd be less likely to go to a domed game? 

 

 

I would be FAR less likely. But then I don't count as I live in Florida and am lucky if I make one game in Buffalo.  And, again, it isn't likely to be a dome--just maybe a stadium with a roof (stationary or retractable).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Dean said:

 

 

I would be FAR less likely. But then I don't count as I live in Florida and am lucky if I make one game in Buffalo.  And, again, it isn't likely to be a dome--just maybe a stadium with a roof (stationary or retractable).

Why? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

   

 

I don't judge people for not coming..........let's face it,  Russ was right that "the brand is tarnished".........late season Bills football has become synonymous with "meaningless" and over the course of near 20 years of not being a serious SB contender people get used to making plans to do other things in December.   Not even considering the Bills schedule.    Factor in the expectation of bad weather and most fans aren't even giving much thought to attending and it's not easy to pivot on plans after a nice November run of football.

 

It's going to take some time and winning to change that and even then it's always going to be a struggle late in the season if weather is a factor.

 

But how can you start your take with befuddlement about why people aren't going to the game and finish that first breath with "I'm unable to attend" and then start the next thought with how embarrassing it is and price shaming Bills fans?  That's just a lack of self accountability for the perceived problem on your part.    Why is your reason to be unable to attend so much better than everyone else's?   2 kids and 2 hour drive is a fine excuse on it's face IMO....... but not worthy of shaming your fellow fans.   Takes me 2 hours to get to the game and I have 5 kids and I can count the games I've missed in 25 years on one hand and still have enough digits left  to bowl a few frames.

 

I think we had a similar discussion in the "is it OK for fans to boo their team thread".    You were irate about the booing as I recall.   The reality is that there are about 20,000 or so season ticket holders who actually come to every game themselves and account for the 50k season tix sold.   That figure might even be too high.   I think only about 10% of club seat holders attended the last game. 😂   Frankly, if you aren't in that number that are there thru thick and thin every week it's not right to be calling out the fanbase for apathy or booing or anything really.   Start with the man in the mirror.:thumbsup:

 

i'm sorry you don't get it. the point is living closer would ensure its not a full day event for me therefore the kids wouldn't be such an issue. I don't have to attend ever single game to be surprised that the fanbase that's right there in the back yard isn't showing up. i'm sorry you cant see to understand that. its a really easy concept. I don't think that's hard to understand. the closer you are to the stadium the easier and more convenient it is to get to games... I've never discussed the booing. I don't get riled up by that. I don't do it but I don't care who does.... I just totally disagree with  basically everything you say on here in general though.... like ever. so its whatever, man. 

 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

 

Really? You'd be less likely to go to a domed game? 

110% I would have a hard time paying as much as it is for my wife and I to take a day for a football game when I absolutely cant stand the experience. walking into that dome was like walking into a shopping mall. 

 

I would guess for every person you find that wants a dome you'll find the same amount that don't. I know for a fact, because we've had these talks, that most of the group I regularly attend with would be very unhappy with an indoor stadium. I would still try to get there for some games because I want support my team at the stadium. but I cant say it'd be nearly as regular as its been over the last 15 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

110% I would have a hard time paying as much as it is for my wife and I to take a day for a football game when I absolutely cant stand the experience. walking into that dome was like walking into a shopping mall. 

 

I would guess for every person you find that wants a dome you'll find the same amount that don't. I know for a fact, because we've had these talks, that most of the group I regularly attend with would be very unhappy with an indoor stadium. I would still try to get there for some games because I want support my team at the stadium. but I cant say it'd be nearly as regular as its been over the last 15 years. 

 

Wild. I can't even wrap my head around that. I'm not saying your wrong, but to me its just not meaningfully different. I say that as someone who lived in Syracuse for 8 years and went to a ton of SU football games.  I just don't think the game time experience was any different, excluding the tailgating obviously. Not excluding the losing, unfortunately. 

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Lord I hope not. I have traveled to 2 games so far this season, and would have tried to get to this one if my weekend wasn't full of Christmas parties already. I was at the Broncos game and was 100% convinced that the crowd noise had an impact on the game.  We need every edge we can get in this game and I am hoping  the crowd is even louder than we were against Denver.

I can only speak for myself here but I think because of the magnitude of this game I got a bit overemotional that there were still a bunch of tickets out there. i'd like to think that no matter what its gonna be a loud crowd come sunday. 

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

 

Wild. I can't even wrap my head around that. I'm not saying your wrong, but to me its just not meaningfully different. I saw that as someone who lived in Syracuse for 8 years and went to a ton of SU football games.  I just don't think the game time experience was any different, excluding the tailgating obviously. Not excluding the losing, unfortunately. 

and I cant wrap my head around somebody not seeing the difference. just differing opinions. I'm sure they wont have problems getting it full, but what i'm telling you is I have a large group of fans I tailgate with that would be unhappy and probably wouldn't pay nearly as often for an experience they didn't like as much....but like I said earlier, you have to support your team so i'd still be trying to make it up there for a few.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I can only speak for myself here but I think because of the magnitude of this game I got a bit overemotional that there were still a bunch of tickets out there. i'd like to think that no matter what its gonna be a loud crowd come sunday. 

and I cant wrap my head around somebody not seeing the difference. just differing opinions. I'm sure they wont have problems getting it full, but what i'm telling you is I have a large group of fans I tailgate with that would be unhappy and probably wouldn't pay nearly as often for an experience they didn't like as much....but like I said earlier, you have to support your team so i'd still be trying to make it up there for a few.

 

I don't mean to challenge you, but have you actually gone to a domed football game? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

 

I don't mean to challenge you, but have you actually gone to a domed football game? 

well I said in another post to you that I have. like walking into a shopping mall. I led with that. haha. it was in indy last year. it sucked. my wife absolutely hates the cold and she even said it sucked being in a dome for a game and she'd take a winter outdoor game anytime over it.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

well I said in another post to you that I have. indy last year. it sucked. my wife absolutely hates the cold and she even said it sucked being in a dome for a game.

Sorry- I am doing something else and am half distracted. 

 

In any event, to each there own I guess. My take is that the type of fans that sit in the cold for a game are probably going to go regardless. Its the people on the fence they need to capture. I still think its safe to say you get more net fans with a dome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...