Will Bird Fans Infiltrate New Era?

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

allowing Seasons to certain Zips will Alienate a lot of Season Ticket Holders. 

some Of us do sell our tickets to we can fund an extra away game or two. 

this year as long as Work doesn’t force something I will use 6 of my 8 home Tickets 

and went to 4 of 8 away games. 

not my fault my life has taken me outside of NY. But want to lose a fan? And his 3 younger Generation Bills fans take our ability to buy Season Tickets away. 

I hear you.   I just recall hearing that tickets sold in January and February for the playoff games that any remaining tickets sales were "monitored".  

Seahawks to Limit Ticket Sales for NFC Championship Game .

KC is set a little better than Buffalo and theirs go on sale in 2 days

NFL PLAYOFFS: Chiefs postseason tickets go on sale in two ...

55 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I agree, but you seem to be forgetting the Bills have sucked for years. I'm sure a lot of fans got sick of it and started to tune the team out....

Man, I have a hard time buying that.... just this year a bengals media member that had been at both seattle for their season opener when the bengals played them and then to buffalo for our home opener said the bills stadium was noticeably louder than seattles. so I'm having a very hard time figuring out how a game with mild weather between 2 teams jockeying for playoff seeding is having trouble filling the stadium. and throwing tickets at people for $40. 

@teef. I think your explanation of it "just being that time of year" has some merit.... its whats keeping me away from this HUGE matchup.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

I am a long-time season ticket holder with 4 tix living in central VA. Typically, business travel limits my ability to attend all games. However, fortunately this year I worked biz travel around so that I will be able to fly in for all home games (& 1 away game).

I understand that Dec holiday events might limit some fans but a bit surprised that even the casual season ticket holder would not want to see LJ play live.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr Info said:

I am a long-time season ticket holder with 4 tix living in central VA. Typically, business travel limits my ability to attend all games. However, fortunately this year I worked biz travel around so that I will be able to fly in for all home games (& 1 away game).

I understand that Dec holiday events might limit some fans but a bit surprised that even the casual season ticket holder would not want to see LJ play live.

casual?  

Most season holders I know try to sell their Tix to fellow Bills Fans if they can't make it. 

5 hours ago, BillnutinHouston said:

I believe the Bills are now phasing in that policy.

Electronic ticketing now allows the Bills to know how many of the person's tickets are used vs. sold.  Heck, they even know when you arrive in the stadium.  I know this because in the One Buffalo app my profile shows the notations "Earned home attendance" and "Earned early arrival" for each gameday.

BTW, I'm a STH in the Pittsburgh area and drive 3 hours each way, every week.  

Your correct. Ever since electronic ticket scanning has been used, the Bills know what gate you use, what time you enter. The season ticket zip code area (100 mile limit) is an attempt to have more Bills fans attending/cheering than having  visiting fans at Bills games. Don't think that worked for the eagles game. I would not be surprised if in the future your bills card had a chip in it so they could track your movement in the stadium  for security purposes, when you go to bathroom, waiting in concession lines, etc. 

With the secondary market such a huge thing, every stadium is filled with opposing fans.  It's the new reality of the NFL.  Yes, 20 years ago you would see a few Miami jerseys in the crowd for a fins-bills home game, and it would get nasty.  I saw some pretty nasty sh!& happen at Rich/Ralph/New Era.  Now there more opposing fans, and in general, they're treated pretty decently in the stadium.

I have seen the Bills play in 18 stadiums now.  Always TONS of Bills fans.  Look at the Seattle Monday night game a few days ago, tons of Purple in the crowd.  Opposing fans travel and that's the new reality.

There is an issue though with ticket prices being this low for this game on Sunday.  This is a incredible game, and the Bills are 9-3 coming off a  Thanksgiving beat down.  I have seasons, and see tickets online for below what I paid.  Not good.

3 minutes ago, gmanbfan said:

There is an issue though with ticket prices being this low for this game on Sunday.  This is a incredible game, and the Bills are 9-3 coming off a  Thanksgiving beat down.  I have seasons, and see tickets online for below what I paid.  Not good.

This is the fairly recent practice of "dynamic" pricing.  The tickets the Bills have in stock that were $45 yesterday can be $35 today.  Secondary sellers set their own price, of course. 

It'll be a sellout by Sunday...if you're willing to take a chance and wait, the club seats could be a steal by then.

13 minutes ago, Hammered a Lot said:

Your correct. Ever since electronic ticket scanning has been used, the Bills know what gate you use, what time you enter. The season ticket zip code area (100 mile limit) is an attempt to have more Bills fans attending/cheering than having  visiting fans at Bills games. Don't think that worked for the eagles game. I would not be surprised if in the future your bills card had a chip in it so they could track your movement in the stadium  for security purposes, when you go to bathroom, waiting in concession lines, etc. 

I can remember in 1995, buying tickets for a Sunday game on a Saturday afternoon beforehand, with the ticket office having their hard-paper stock in shoe boxes...and you got to pick what was available from the stack the Bills employee had in her hand at the time.  Also got to shake hands with John Butler, who just happened to be strolling by.

The #1 reason for all this is the lifting of the blackout rule.  Gameday attendance is not everyone's favorite way to view their team but often it was the only way to see them.  There are plenty of reasons to prefer to enjoy your favorite team in the comfort of your own living room or at a prime watch location.  This seems to be true all over the league as it is pretty easy for Bills fans to get tickets and make the trip when so inclined.  I have an extra pair that I usually sell on the ticket exchange but not this week because my regular seat is not available and I am still looking for someone to bring with me.  The pair got me $225, $243, $14O, $126, $36 and $45 which means I have almost broke even.  In a year like this, that does say that the gameday weather is a big factor in demand.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

Just one quick comment. Whatever form the new stadium takes, it almost certainly won't be a "dome".  It could be an enclosed stadium or one with a retractable roof, but I doubt it will be a domed stadium. 

Speaking strictly from personal experience, I have never had a great experience watching football or baseball inside.  Even the most miserable experiences in outdoor stadiums have been far superior to that of being indoors. Well, there is one exception. Watching the Bills/Packers in Milwaukee's old baseball stadium was pretty damn miserable, too. 

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

why should they alienate people like me?  I have been a Bills fans my entire life. That life has taken me out of NY after I graduated College and got my Commission in the Army. But I still have been a season ticket holder for 21 years. I make it back to Buffalo for just about every game. (Sold my tickets twice this year). 

I also make it to 50% or so of their away games. Want to lose Fans? alienate those of us outside of your certain Zip Codes for season ticket purchase. 

Fans like you are fine cause you go to almost all the home games. Its the ones who buy season tickets that go to 1 or 2 games and sell the rest are the ones that's the problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bills fans travel well.............except to the Ralph in winter weather.?

Out of our 8 home regular season games it looks like 5 of them will be either cold or bad weather/windy games.

Next stadium needs a roof.

Sorry to all those die-hards who prefer watching an outdoor game from the comfort of their couch at home but even when the Bills are decent the tickets are cold product in cold weather.   

I'm convinced that those that go the the game who don't want a roof are the same people who say they like shopping at Sears because it's "quiet and peaceful".:beer:

I don't really know what that last bit means, but I think you are right. Everyone loves the idea of these cold weather games, but if we play in a dome I 100% think every game will be sold out to Bills fans, even if ticket prices went up. 

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I don't really know what that last bit means, but I think you are right. Everyone loves the idea of these cold weather games, but if we play in a dome I 100% think every game will be sold out to Bills fans, even if ticket prices went up. 

I could be wrong but I think he's making this analogy:

"People claim they like shopping at Sears because it's quiet and peaceful, but it's quiet and peaceful because those people ain't actually walkin' in the door with their cash or plastic" "People claim they like an outdoor stadium in Buffalo and don't want a roof, but those people ain't actually walkin' into that outdoor stadium when 'baby it's cold outside' "

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

the group of 15-20 that I go to most of my games(4-6 a year) with have discussed this quite a bit. its a pretty fair consensus that if the bills put in a dome they'd lose a decent amount of our attendance. if they did that AND made it more expensive then i'd have a hard time going to more than 1 or 2 a year.... maybe its just us? but I doubt that.

my wife HATES the cold and she even admitted the dome experience down in indy last year SUCKED to watch a live game.

10 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

44 and cloudy. Seems about like a perfect football day IMO. Unfortunately having very young kids nowadays and a 2 hour drive doesn’t let me get there as much as I used to. 5 to 6 homes games has now turned into 3, maybe 4, tops. 

For the people much closer it’s crazy to me that the team is 9-3, in a huge AFC matchup, with a rep for being a passionate fan base and there are that many seats available online right now.... $40??? Really????? It just blows my mind. 

hopefully the stadium is still rocking and and it’s hardly noticeable on Sunday. 

I don't judge people for not coming..........let's face it,  Russ was right that "the brand is tarnished".........late season Bills football has become synonymous with "meaningless" and over the course of near 20 years of not being a serious SB contender people get used to making plans to do other things in December.   Not even considering the Bills schedule.    Factor in the expectation of bad weather and most fans aren't even giving much thought to attending and it's not easy to pivot on plans after a nice November run of football.

It's going to take some time and winning to change that and even then it's always going to be a struggle late in the season if weather is a factor.

But how can you start your take with befuddlement about why people aren't going to the game and finish that first breath with "I'm unable to attend" and then start the next thought with how embarrassing it is and price shaming Bills fans?  That's just a lack of self accountability for the perceived problem on your part.    Why is your reason to be unable to attend so much better than everyone else's?   2 kids and 2 hour drive is a fine excuse on it's face IMO....... but not worthy of shaming your fellow fans.   Takes me 2 hours to get to the game and I have 5 kids and I can count the games I've missed in 25 years on one hand and still have enough digits left  to bowl a few frames.

I think we had a similar discussion in the "is it OK for fans to boo their team thread".    You were irate about the booing as I recall.   The reality is that there are about 20,000 or so season ticket holders who actually come to every game themselves and account for the 50k season tix sold.   That figure might even be too high.   I think only about 10% of club seat holders attended the last game. ?   Frankly, if you aren't in that number that are there thru thick and thin every week it's not right to be calling out the fanbase for apathy or booing or anything really.   Start with the man in the mirror.:thumbsup: