Will Bird Fans Infiltrate New Era?

17 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The ONLY thing that makes it possible for anyone, fortunate or not, to watch home games for free on TV is the media broadcast deal with the league. 

It’s great that the fans who attend and the sponsors who pay for displayed branding and other commercial announcements make it possible for the Bills to realize more unshared revenue, though. That is not an insignificant contribution to the franchise. 

Oh look it's John Maynard Keynes back from the grave!

The franchise would get the same cut of that broadcast $ if they were in Toronto or San Antonio etc..

They are only IN Buffalo because the place is mostly sold out 8 games per year. 

On 12/3/2019 at 11:30 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Bills fans travel well.............except to the Ralph in winter weather.?

Out of our 8 home regular season games it looks like 5 of them will be either cold or bad weather/windy games.

Next stadium needs a roof.

Sorry to all those die-hards who prefer watching an outdoor game from the comfort of their couch at home but even when the Bills are decent the tickets are cold product in cold weather.   

I'm convinced that those that go the the game who don't want a roof are the same people who say they like shopping at Sears because it's "quiet and peaceful".:beer:

So true. I hate domes so I disagree about creating one, but it is the case that Bills fans are pretty soft when it comes to cold weather games. You don't see that in GB, Chicago, Pitt, or NE. And it's not just about winning; the Bills had a lot of empty seats in the 1990s late in the season.

Also, Sears isn't the right reference. Amazon is the better one!

Edited by dave mcbride

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Oh look it's John Maynard Keynes back from the grave!

The franchise would get the same cut of that broadcast $ if they were in Toronto or San Antonio etc..

They are only IN Buffalo because the place is mostly sold out 8 games per year. 

Per the bold text, that’s the point. Whether a fan attends a game in person or not has NO bearing on the game being shown for free locally as you suggested previously. Was a time you could make that claim, but not any more.

While league blackout rules were suspended largely due to pressure from the FCC and some members of Congress, there was also upward pressure from broadcast media to lift them as well. And that relates directly to the record rights fees paid by those media outlets and shared equally league wide. So your Keynes reference is apt. 

The Bills are in Buffalo for two reasons: Mr. Wilson located and kept the the team here originally and the Pegulas bought and decided to keep them here after he passed. No doubt a loyal fan base all these years has helped to assure that. 

20 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The Bills are in Buffalo for two reasons: Mr. Wilson located and kept the the team here originally and the Pegulas bought and decided to keep them here after he passed. No doubt a loyal fan base all these years has helped to assure that. 

Oh it hasn't just "helped".   That's grossly downplaying it.   It's been ESSENTIAL.    Without the loyal fanbase they'd have been gone LONG ago.  

The Pegula's have been very generous with their wealth but I suspect their empathy has bounds(and I know that of their 31 NFL partners does).

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

So true. I hate domes so I disagree about creating one, but it is the case that Bills fans are pretty soft when it comes to cold weather games. You don't see that in GB, Chicago, Pitt, or NE. And it's not just about winning; the Bills had a lot of empty seats in the 1990s late in the season.

Also, Sears isn't the right reference. Amazon is the better one!

The Sears reference was a quote I read the other day from a Sears shopper at a store that's closing in CA.    It was basically" I like shopping here because there is nobody else around".   It's reminiscent of the few tough guys who swear by the value of bad weather games even though it's obviously very bad for business.

I do think that one of the problems that the Bills face going forward is that it's been a generation since this team was good and in that time people have formed traditions in the meantime that don't include going to Bills games in December.

When you got people saying "we have holiday things to do" on December 8th and that's why they can't go to a Bills game?   I mean.......we aren't talking about a December 23rd game. ?

Blame Coca Cola for inventing Santa Claus.   Christmas used to be for closers!:thumbsup:

Edited by BADOLBILZ

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

First of all be sure to have context of the conversation you are jumping into:

@Stank_Nasty was at once shaming Bills fans for not being there and citing cheap tickets when he himself was opting out of attending the game.

It's not that complicated. 

If you can afford season tickets and have a reasonable commute to the stadium but choose not to commit to them............then yes you are definitely less committed as a fan.

The product is pro football.........pro=paid to perform.

Spending 2,000 hours per year on a free Bills website expresses your mania........not your commitment to the franchise,  it's stability or to the community of Bills fans who show up to games to make it possible for those less fortunate to enjoy the product for free on TV.

I’ll respectfully disagree. Some people just prefer watching the games at home. Doesn’t make them less of a fan. It’s just all a matter of preference.

For myself, I am a die hard Bills fan from day 1 and I like to go to 1-2 games a year. For me going 8 games is an inconvenience and is very time consuming 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

I’ll respectfully disagree. Some people just prefer watching the games at home. Doesn’t make them less of a fan. It’s just all a matter of preference.

For myself, I am a die hard Bills fan from day 1 and I like to go to 1-2 games a year. For me going 8 games is an inconvenience and is very time consuming 

So you are a "die hard" but inconvenience stops you from being there?

I guess I don't know what your definition of "die hard" is.

I don't blame you or anyone for not going to Bills games.    It's a product.   If it's not worth it to you then don't buy.

But there IS a difference in commitment level between those that are out there at the stadium every week putting up their hard earned cash and braving the elements to support their team.......and those that don't want to be inconvenienced by the process but will watch it on tv when it's on.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

Don’t fall into that silly argument. Because you prefer to watch some games in the comfort of your own home does NOT make you any less of a fan. To argue otherwise is ignorance. Die hard fans can watch at home. To argue “inconvenience” lessens your fan-hood is just to say you don’t have a choice on how to be a “real fan”, as decided by some guy who thinks he knows and judges all things football.  That’s a bunch of crap, once again. Not the first time. 

Inconvenience and choice are two different things. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Don’t fall into that silly argument. Because you prefer to watch some games in the comfort of your own home does NOT make you any less of a fan. To argue otherwise is ignorance. Die hard fans can watch at home. To argue “inconvenience” lessens your fan-hood is just to say you don’t have a choice on how to be a “real fan”, as decided by some guy who thinks he knows and judges all things football.  That’s a bunch of crap, once again. Not the first time. 

Perfectly said sir

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Yup. I love going to games, but money is tight, and honestly, I see more and have a more complete Bills experience when watching on TV compared to being there. If I was less interested in knowing exactly who is on the field and in what formation and how many yards each play gets as it's going on in real time and not waiting for announcements, and more interested in just having a good time and being loud, the games would be preferable, but that aspect of watching live honestly pains me a lot and it's fun to have the tv and be able to see it all

• Like (+1) 1

As a local WNYer one trend I am starting to notice that might also play a role into this is that it seems so many people are into doing the Bills road trip thing now and with the Steelers Sunday night game coming up next week I feel like a lot people are going to that game so in a sense it almost seems like people are overlooking this game.  Personally I know many more people that are amped up and talking about going down to Pittsburgh for the big prime time game than talking about going to the Ravens game.  I'm not saying this is the only factor but I do think it plays a role.  I know people have always done the road trips but it really seems to be a growing phenomenon. 

10 hours ago, arcane said:

Yup. I love going to games, but money is tight, and honestly, I see more and have a more complete Bills experience when watching on TV compared to being there. If I was less interested in knowing exactly who is on the field and in what formation and how many yards each play gets as it's going on in real time and not waiting for announcements, and more interested in just having a good time and being loud, the games would be preferable, but that aspect of watching live honestly pains me a lot and it's fun to have the tv and be able to see it all

If you are a fan who just follows the ball then TV is good for you.    If you are lucky maybe a good color commentator fills you in on some of what's going on but if you enjoy the all-22 look in real time it's hard to beat being there live.   And it's funny sometimes being at the game and then coming home and watching the narrative they spin on the broadcast.   It's a tense moment......quick switch to that perfect recording we got of some fans looking nervous from earlier........ok switch to the concerned face we captured 2 minutes ago on the sideline..........now right before the snap go back to the QB getting the ball.   Meanwhile at the game I was looking at the coverage and anticipating where the ball was going to go etc..   If you think you are getting the whole story on TV try sitting behind the Bills bench for a game and then go home and watch the TV broadcast.  But to each their own.  :beer:  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

As a local WNYer one trend I am starting to notice that might also play a role into this is that it seems so many people are into doing the Bills road trip thing now and with the Steelers Sunday night game coming up next week I feel like a lot people are going to that game so in a sense it almost seems like people are overlooking this game.  Personally I know many more people that are amped up and talking about going down to Pittsburgh for the big prime time game than talking about going to the Ravens game.  I'm not saying this is the only factor but I do think it plays a role.  I know people have always done the road trips but it really seems to be a growing phenomenon. 

Could be.   Our tailgate group has a 25 person capacity shuttle bus going to Pittsburgh for the game but to my knowledge everyone going to that game is also coming to this game.   

On 12/3/2019 at 9:04 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It was hard to watch/hear so many Iggles fans cheering on their team in New Era. 

Anyone know, do PoeBirds fans travel like that?

About the same drive time, 6.5-ish hrs

Seem to be a fair number of tickets remaining.

Will be putting up some scarecrow’s 

• Thank you (+1) 1