SNF: Pats @ Texans

whatdrought

Belated SNF conclusions (avoided the score long enough to watch on a flight back from Amsterdam at lunchtime - but new Pats had lost because my Jags fan friend messaged me this morning asking if we can win the division):

- This was big for Houston. In previous years they have definitely had a mental block in the biggest games but now this season they have knocked off Kansas City and knocked off New England. Yes they had a nightmare in Baltimore but for the first time they must feel that they can beat some of these playoff teams when the time comes.

- Bill O'Brien took some stick for getting rid of his GM... and maybe deservedly so.... but Duke Johnson, Carlos Hyde, Gareon Conley, Vernon Hargreaves, Kenny Stills and Laremy Tunsil are "his" personnel moves since he took full control. Those guys are all contributing.

- Watching Watson vs Brady was an interesting contrast. One is fast in thought and movement and looks like he is having fun out there. The other has always been physically slow of course, but he looks mentally a split second slower and he doesn't look like this is fun anymore. 

- How many years have we seen New England's oline start the year struggling and they have found a way as things have gone along to adjust on the fly? Doesn't look like it is working this time. That oline is bad. 

- Buffalo will have a shot at the division if they can win out. At the very least they will go to Foxborough with it still in play. How cool is that? 

- I think the Brady era is drawing to a close. I now believe it is more likely than not that someone else is the Patriots QB on day 1 of 2020. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

This "we are playing terrible" thing seems pretty new to them :)

I like the sarcasm..."Edelman's fault (on that throw) he does not have a 72" vertical".

I have that Doors tune "The End" running through my head right now.

This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes, again

Can you picture what will be, so limitless and free
Desperately in need, of some, stranger's hand
In a, desperate land

Dare we hope that the bell finally tolls for NE? Belichick is a very good coach and I expect they still have fight in them but they are looking more vulnerable than I can ever remember. 

That defense is far less effective playing from behind.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I scanned through a couple dozen pages

First, I cant believe how soft-skinned they all are.  It was like 3-7, their team, is 10-1, and you would think it was a Browns GTD from the Steelers game.  

Its remarkable how many people are screaming that they need to sign Antonio Bryant (again) as if he is some sort of magic pill that will make this 10-2 team an 14 and negative 3 team.  They are crying that Kraft made the awful decision, while everyone else was on board with riding him out, veiled threats to children and all.  

It is funny how many people defend Brady no matter what there, blaming everyone else no matter what.   I get it though, and that would happen anywhere.

People were turning the game off pretty early, and one person even said they were going to "switch to Greys Anatomy".  Lol.  

There does seem to be a general feeling of panic.  It isnt the typical 'this always happens, on to Cincinnati' crowd.  This Patriots team has shown flaws since week 3, and they havent gone away.  Additional weaknesses have popped up, and they got their faces kicked in by both AFC Division leaders they have faced.  The third is coming up this week (and they just won a game like 40-9 and have a lot of motivation).  

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I scanned through a couple dozen pages

First, I cant believe how soft-skinned they all are.  It was like 3-7, their team, is 10-1, and you would think it was a Browns GTD from the Steelers game.  

Its remarkable how many people are screaming that they need to sign Antonio Bryant (again) as if he is some sort of magic pill that will make this 10-2 team an 14 and negative 3 team.  They are crying that Kraft made the awful decision, while everyone else was on board with riding him out, veiled threats to children and all.  

It is funny how many people defend Brady no matter what there, blaming everyone else no matter what.   I get it though, and that would happen anywhere.

People were turning the game off pretty early, and one person even said they were going to "switch to Greys Anatomy".  Lol.  

There does seem to be a general feeling of panic.  It isnt the typical 'this always happens, on to Cincinnati' crowd.  This Patriots team has shown flaws since week 3, and they havent gone away.  Additional weaknesses have popped up, and they got their faces kicked in by both AFC Division leaders they have faced.  The third is coming up this week (and they just won a game like 40-9 and have a lot of motivation).  

I love it.

Let them suffer. Let them suffer for 20 years in the wilderness.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, stevewin said:

One huge thing was no turnovers by Houston.  You need to avoid huge game changing turnovers and specual teams gaffes against the Cheaters to win - you have to play mistake free because positive plays are always going to be taken away from you as well as given to them by the refs

Yep.

No ST gaffes, no turnovers, and don't give their struggling offense a short field to work with and you have a good chance of beating them.

Especially if you can go up on them a score or two and are able to keep that pressure/passing D in check with some run balance.

As Baltimore did show, they really struggle with defending the RPO and (Run) Option. Daboll has been getting Allen more acclimated to running those plays.

4 hours ago, the skycap said:

Are there any lip readers on the forum? I'd love to know what Brady was saying as he sat on the bench

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

His receivers should have responded by requesting he not fall down and go into the fetal position whenever a defender comes within 3 yards of him.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Yep.

No ST gaffes, no turnovers, and don't give their struggling offense a short field to work with and you have a good chance of beating them.

Especially if you can go up on them a score or two and are able to keep that pressure/passing D in check with some run balance.

As Baltimore did show, they really struggle with defending the RPO and (Run) Option. Daboll has been getting Allen more acclimated to running those plays.

How many of us had our hearts in our throats with that onside kick?

First off Houston goes into that soft prevent D and Brady and Edelman play catch down the field to score and pull within 6.

Then the onside kick.  Had that ball not gone out of bounds and been picked up cleanly by the Pats, that guy had clear sailing to the endzone.

Just goes to show you, run the prevent D at your own risk.  

10 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

First off Houston goes into that soft prevent D and Brady and Edelman play catch down the field to score and pull within 6.

Then the onside kick.  Had that ball not gone out of bounds and been picked up cleanly by the Pats, that guy had clear sailing to the endzone.

For real, I hate prevent D more then anything. It prevents nothing, and is guaranteeing an opponent score.. makes zero sense...

3 hours ago, stevewin said:

What a douche

Yeah.  And if Josh Allen had done this in a similar game with the Bills, he would be showered with praise for his leadership and will to win. 

Let's be honest, despite being the greatest QB of all time, Tom Brady just isn't going to get a fair deal around here, is he?

:lol:

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

This "we are playing terrible" thing seems pretty new to them :)

I like the sarcasm..."Edelman's fault (on that throw) he does not have a 72" vertical".

I have that Doors tune "The End" running through my head right now.

This is the end, beautiful friend
This is the end, my only friend, the end
Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes, again

Can you picture what will be, so limitless and free
Desperately in need, of some, stranger's hand
In a, desperate land

Dare we hope that the bell finally tolls for NE? Belichick is a very good coach and I expect they still have fight in them but they are looking more vulnerable than I can ever remember. 

That defense is far less effective playing from behind.

Nice.  "When the Music's Over" also comes to mind.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah.  And if Josh Allen had done this in a similar game with the Bills, he would be showered with praise for his leadership and will to win. 

Let's be honest, despite being the greatest QB of all time, Tom Brady just isn't going to get a fair deal around here, is he?

:lol:

There was a camera right in his face and he knew it - it was all completely for show.  Josh Allen doesn't whine like a baby when he is touched or every time every single thing doesn't go his way, drop into the fetal position when pressure comes within 5 ft of him. nor has he cheated throughout his entire career.  The comparison is false.  Brady is a douche of the highest order and Josh is not.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jkeerie said:

I was definelty nervous, but at worst they’d get the ball at the spot of recovery. The kicking team can’t advance a kickoff. 

4 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

I was definelty nervous, but at worst they’d get the ball at the spot of recovery. The kicking team can’t advance a kickoff. 

I forgot about this.  Thank you for reminding me of that rule.  However...I think Houston would have been so out of sorts, it would have been Brady and Edelman again for the TD.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Could Pats miss playoffs???

Yes. There may be other scenarios, but one I found with the ESPN playoff machine involved the pats losing out, the Steelers and titans winning out to get to 11-5, and the Texans winning both their remaining games not against the titans to go 10-6. In that case titans take the south, pit takes the 1st wildcard and the Texans get the 2nd with their head to head tiebreaker over the pats. The best possible record for the bills in this case would be 12-4 because the Steelers would have beaten them, but that would be good enough for at least a 1st round bye if not the top seed.