Joe B. All-22 from Broncos game - pump the brakes on Cody Ford vs Von Miller love

YoloinOhio

There were only a handful of reps in which the Bills allowed Ford to go one-on-one in a pass-blocking situation against Miller. Ford usually received help from either a tight end or right guard Spencer Long as the game went on. In the reps in which it was a one-on-one situation, the results were a mixed bag. As you’ll notice, not all of the good reps came against Miller. The first clip was his best of the game and only true one-on-one good rep versus Miller. In the last example, Long came off his block to make sure Miller was a non-factor, though Ford did a sufficient job leading up to the help.

The not-so-good reps didn’t result in negative plays, but much of that was because the ball was out of Allen’s hands much quicker. 

Ford excelled as a run-blocker as he usually does. Still, nothing he did against the Broncos as a pass blocker was enough to alleviate the concerns about how his game translates to being a full-time offensive tackle

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There were only a handful of reps in which the Bills allowed Ford to go one-on-one in a pass-blocking situation against Miller. Ford usually received help from either a tight end or right guard Spencer Long as the game went on. In the reps in which it was a one-on-one situation, the results were a mixed bag. As you’ll notice, not all of the good reps came against Miller. The first clip was his best of the game and only true one-on-one good rep versus Miller. In the last example, Long came off his block to make sure Miller was a non-factor, though Ford did a sufficient job leading up to the help.

The not-so-good reps didn’t result in negative plays, but much of that was because the ball was out of Allen’s hands much quicker. 

Ford excelled as a run-blocker as he usually does. Still, nothing he did against the Broncos as a pass blocker was enough to alleviate the concerns about how his game translates to being a full-time offensive tackle

As to the middle bolded... Yeah, Joe, that's the way it's supposed to work! The QB gets the ball out on time, the ball gets to the WR at their break not after it, completion, move the sticks, everyone looks good, and smart QB play helps the OL neutralize any pass rush.

The kid is still a rookie with limited OT experience. I'll let him keep developing, and will keep showing him love for Sunday without having to pump my brakes. Thanks.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Hmmm Hmmm who to believe:  the all-22 review of 9-year radio veteran Joe Buscaglia, or the praise of 7x probowl, 3x all-pro OLB Von Miller saying Ford should feel good about how he played?  Hmmm Hmmm

Most OTs who don't get some help against Von Miller wind up watching their QB on "spin cycle" as Miller "brings his laundry" into the backfield all game long.

And yes, telling your QB that he needs to have a faster clock against all-pro pass rushers is part of the game too, as is giving the QB just "enough" time (like the Beasley TD where they left Motor on his own to hold off an LB.  The LB eventually moved him aside, but Singletary held long enough for the TD pass to be thrown)

• Like (+1) 19
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This is more of a gameplan thing than it is a negative about Ford. He even says that in some of the cases where he got help, he was doing fine before the help arrived. 

Considering the Miller vs. Ford matchup was the biggest question mark going into the game, I think Cody did a fine job.

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hmmm Hmmm who to believe:  the all-22 review of 9-year radio veteran Joe Buscaglia, or the praise of 7x probowl, 3x all-pro OLB Von Miller saying Ford should feel good about how he played?  Hmmm Hmmm

Most OTs who don't get some help against Von Miller wind up watching their QB on "spin cycle" as Miller "brings his laundry" into the backfield all game long.

And yes, telling your QB that he needs to have a faster clock against all-pro pass rushers is part of the game too, as is giving the QB just "enough" time (like the Beasley TD where they left Motor on his own to hold off an LB.  The LB eventually moved him aside, but Singletary held long enough for the TD pass to be thrown)

With all the help Ford received blocking him, how can you be sure Miller wasn't being sarcastic? 

• Haha (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

His job isn’t to be a fan. 

is he job to be a tool?

How many sacks did they give up?

lets not pretend the Broncos defense sucked 

lets not pretend players don’t need assistance double teaming good players 

Is he still a rookie making good plays?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I don't mind that Buscaglia is putting a player under the microscope.  It is probably true that many teams choose to give offensive linemen some help when blocking Von Miller.  It's also true that Ford has room for improvement, but I don't think every successful offensive lineman came through their rookie season as a finished product.  Just because Buscaglia is pointing out Ford's growing edge  doesn't mean he thinks Ford is a bust.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 1

So what you’re saying is a rookie lineman got help against an all pro and when he didn’t get help it was a quick pass which maybe was part of the game plan. 
I see serious red flags there. I mean no one should need help against a scrub like Von Miller. 

I get he’s trying to be objective but my gosh Von Miller has zero effect on the game. That’s a win for Dabolls game plan and Fords play

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

With all the help Ford received blocking him, how can you be sure Miller wasn't being sarcastic? 

Listen to his interview and judge for yourself.

51 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

And I dont think he's being overly or unnecessarily negative either. It's an honest, clinical tape breakdown. All good.

It's a tape breakdown, but keep in mind that OL plays are the hardest to break down without knowledge of what the assignments were.  There's a good interview with Eric Wood where he goes into this with details and examples.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

His job isn’t to be a fan. 

It's amazing how many people here demand that the media align their coverage with the opinions of hardcore fans.  And if they don't, they are attacked relentlessly.

Objectivity and differing opinions are not a bad thing.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

I don't mind that Buscaglia is putting a player under the microscope.  It is probably true that many teams choose to give offensive linemen some help when blocking Von Miller.  It's also true that Ford has room for improvement, but I don't think every successful offensive lineman came through their rookie season as a finished product.  Just because Buscaglia is pointing out Ford's growing edge  doesn't mean he thinks Ford is a bust.

I was actually waiting for this because I thought ford did well just based on the broadcast but assumed he was getting help - which is not unexpected, I just can’t tell that kind of thing while watching the game so I was more curious than anything