I CAN'T WAIT til the Ravens come to Buffalo

JerseyBills

I don't mind that the OP has that viewpoint.  I think that what makes the Baltimore offense so tough to defend against is one of the strengths of Buffalo's offense - the ability of the QB to run the ball.  The offenses are very different though.  Jackson is in essence another running back in the backfield, and defenses have to focus so intently on trying to stop two potential runners on every play that they sacrifice their ability to defend the pass well.  While Jackson is not nearly the passer that he is a runner, the defense, having been manipulated in overplaying the run, gives up a lot of easy pass plays.  McDermott and Frazier are pretty bright defensive minds.  With ten days to prepare, they may be able to throw Jackson a few curve balls along the way.  Somewhere, somehow, somebody is going to figure out how to confound Baltimore's offensive attack.   However, I don't have any thought that this will be an easy game.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

He's correct.

Jackson is making simple throws right now. It's very much like the Tyrod offense with Roman. For you to deny it is foolish. 

Jackson is better and more explosive, but what he's doing isn't groundbreaking stuff...at least not in the passing game.

Tyrod was scared to try and elevate his game beyond the simple reads and throws. We have no idea yet what Jackson will be, but it should be interesting to watch.

Thank you for reiterating what I don't have the energy to.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/25/2019 at 11:07 PM, JerseyBills said:

I respectfully disagree. They are nothing like those teams. They had world class QBs in their prime. This is a great GIMMICK offense, and our back 7 has the pieces to stifle them, Consistently

That gimmick Offense just destroyed the SB runner up dominant defense last season, beat up on the #2 Pats defense and we'll see what he does this week against the 49ers defense, that's one hell of a gimmick.

10 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

He's correct.

Jackson is making simple throws right now. It's very much like the Tyrod offense with Roman. For you to deny it is foolish. 

Jackson is better and more explosive, but what he's doing isn't groundbreaking stuff...at least not in the passing game.

Tyrod was scared to try and elevate his game beyond the simple reads and throws. We have no idea yet what Jackson will be, but it should be interesting to watch.

Making the simple throws is the majority of the QBs responsibility.   Jackson's groundbreaking stuff (in the past decade or so anyway)  is combining a very productive passing game with an unstoppable speed and power running style.  THAT is the difference.  Roman isn't doing anything groundbreaking here.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:12 PM, Mr. WEO said:

That back 7 yielded over 600 yards passing to Fitz this year.  They have faced nothing like Jackson

I would argue that Fitz had a lot to play for against us and when he is hot he can be elite. See the first 4 games in Tampa last year when he was absolutely blowing up the league. Unpopular as this sounds Fitz’s Intellect makes him a better QB against our defense. I think Frazier/McDermott are already breaking down Roman’s scheme. To me this Balt O is most similar to what he did with Kapernick in San Fran.  When it was figured out it broke down never to be repaired. Much like what has happened to McVay with Goff (scheme QB) and Peterson with Wentz (scheme QB). 

Our O may not be producing short term the way those teams have but I really believe that Daboll is trying to teach Allen to find the solutions by reading the D. Instead of scheming gimmicks that will be short term successes. In other words we are playing the long game through player development so that Allen can stand the test of time.  

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

That gimmick Offense just destroyed the SB runner up dominant defense last season, beat up on the #2 Pats defense and we'll see what he does this week against the 49ers defense, that's one hell of a gimmick.

It will give them “short term” success. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Making the simple throws is the majority of the QBs responsibility.   Jackson's groundbreaking stuff (in the past decade or so anyway)  is combining a very productive passing game with an unstoppable speed and power running style.  THAT is the difference.  Roman isn't doing anything groundbreaking here.

*See Roman with Kapernick in San Fran... all the way to the Super Bowl. Rinse wash repeat

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s bad timing for them going up against that 49er DL this week 

Not that I'm not trying to jinx em.?

1 minute ago, Turk71 said:

Not that I'm not trying to jinx em.?

Did I say that right? Not sure if I said that right. 

Pretty sure I said it right. 

I don't know.

2 hours ago, Lenigmusx said:

I would argue that Fitz had a lot to play for against us and when he is hot he can be elite. See the first 4 games in Tampa last year when he was absolutely blowing up the league. Unpopular as this sounds Fitz’s Intellect makes him a better QB against our defense. I think Frazier/McDermott are already breaking down Roman’s scheme. To me this Balt O is most similar to what he did with Kapernick in San Fran.  When it was figured out it broke down never to be repaired. Much like what has happened to McVay with Goff (scheme QB) and Peterson with Wentz (scheme QB). 

Our O may not be producing short term the way those teams have but I really believe that Daboll is trying to teach Allen to find the solutions by reading the D. Instead of scheming gimmicks that will be short term successes. In other words we are playing the long game through player development so that Allen can stand the test of time.  

It will give them “short term” success. 

*See Roman with Kapernick in San Fran... all the way to the Super Bowl. Rinse wash repeat

Isn't a gimmick a 1 time thing sort of like the wild ca cat offense that was figured out a year later? Lamar Jackson was doing this last season and brought the ravens to the playoffs more with his legs than his arm and this season he's great at both, to me he looks like he has Michael Vicks running ability with Patrick Mahomes arm where he can wing it anywhere on the field, it's your opinion that he's a gimmick but teams had plenty of tape to contain Jackson in year 2 and he's much better than last season so I'm just asking what you're seeing to think the way you do.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Isn't a gimmick a 1 time thing sort of like the wild ca cat offense that was figured out a year later? Lamar Jackson was doing this last season and brought the ravens to the playoffs more with his legs than his arm and this season he's great at both, to me he looks like he has Michael Vicks running ability with Patrick Mahomes arm where he can wing it anywhere on the field, it's your opinion that he's a gimmick but teams had plenty of tape to contain Jackson in year 2 and he's much better than last season so I'm just asking what you're seeing to think the way you do.

I see an offensive coordinator that has created a passing game predicated on a moving pocket and easy throws. Lamar is doing a great job of throwing to wide open receivers. He is doing what he is asked to do very well.

The threat of running and his ability is beating teams even with a spy. That is exceptional and it is driving defenses crazy. When a defense is able to create tight coverage and force him to stay in the pocket he will throw picks and falter. This is where Josh Allen’s superior arm talent is going to make him more successful long term. Lamar throws well to big targets and outside but the laser over the middle stuff and throwing receivers open is not happening. When the scheme is figured out Lamar will be average to good but long term longevity when forced to stay in the pocket will be an issue. I am also not sure that he is being asked to be cerebral and read/audible etc.. that is not necessary in Romans offense. 

A good example of a throw he can’t make is the  40 yard Touchdown pass Josh Allen made to John Brown against Miami. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/26/2019 at 10:12 AM, iinii said:

Did you miss the touchdown passes? They were money. 

Saw them.  They were really good throws.  Impressive accuracy.

I'm not trying to say that Lamar Jackson cannot make pinpoint throws between defenders.  He obviously can.

What I'm saying is that Jackson isn't displaying the ability (at this point in his career) of consistent high-level QB play... meaning going through multiple reads and quickly diagnosing defensive coverages from the pocket.  Instead, you are seeing Jackson taking advantage of defenses stacking the box, and leaving bare-bones man-coverage in the secondary.  Combined with play-action and RPO's, his reads are simple, but extremely effective.

Don't get me wrong.  This is not a big knock on Jackson.  His running ability (and opposing defenses being totally helpless to stop it) is the #1 reason he's getting those easy reads downfield.  You must also remember that Jackson is still very early in development, and very few QBs can diagnose coverages at a high-level in their second year.

But it's also why some fans still have some skepticism regarding Jackson's long-term outlook.  History has shown that QBs who depend mostly on their legs - without also developing as a passer - don't succeed very long in the NFL.  And despite what pure statistics/numbers say, I still think Josh Allen, Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield are progressing beyond Jackson in pure development as a Quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

He's correct.

Simple throws?  He's keeping his eyes downfield and making damn impressive throws in between those simple ones.  His deep ball accuracy has to be near tops in the league.

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Saw them.  They were really good throws.  Impressive accuracy.

I'm not trying to say that Lamar Jackson cannot make pinpoint throws between defenders.  He obviously can.

What I'm saying is that Jackson isn't displaying the ability (at this point in his career) of consistent high-level QB play... meaning going through multiple reads and quickly diagnosing defensive coverages from the pocket.  Instead, you are seeing Jackson taking advantage of defenses stacking the box, and leaving bare-bones man-coverage in the secondary.  Combined with play-action and RPO's, his reads are simple, but extremely effective.

Don't get me wrong.  This is not a big knock on Jackson.  His running ability (and opposing defenses being totally helpless to stop it) is the #1 reason he's getting those easy reads downfield.  You must also remember that Jackson is still very early in development, and very few QBs can diagnose coverages at a high-level in their second year.

But it's also why some fans still have some skepticism regarding Jackson's long-term outlook.  History has shown that QBs who depend mostly on their legs - without also developing as a passer - don't succeed very long in the NFL.  And despite what pure statistics/numbers say, I still think Josh Allen, Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield are progressing beyond Jackson in pure development as a Quarterback.

That's where I'm at.

We've seen this before for the most part. Jackson is Mike Vick reincarnate.

Vick changed the game and had people going nuts over what he could do, but It never resulted in the ultimate success. 

Jackson could be different...I'm not gonna say what he can or cannot be since nobody truly knows. What I do know is that there is a formula to neutralize him. Everyone gets figured out and the guys who rely on their legs more than their passing ability tend to get figured out much easier, and then when they get hurt or lose some of their physical ability, they fade away.

I'm still of the belief that the most cerebral QB's are the one's that prove to ultimately be the toughest to play against and that they end up having the most success and longevity.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Vick was better at this and also a better passer. Can’t believe people are saying this is ground breaking when honestly Randall did it for a clip as well but both were more accomplished passers. Uber talented but I will wait and see after a solid 5 game stretch...

• Thank you (+1) 1