Why I like the Bills having a short week against the Boys

BisonMan

Nobody likes a short week before going on the road. The Bills have to travel to Dallas for Thursday but, I think, that may be a good thing.

Dallas is a good team, but also a "normal" team. By that, I mean that Dallas' offensive and defensive schemes are not out of the ordinary. Neither team will put in much in the way of new exotic schemes/formations because they just don't have the time. The Bills' defensive scheme should serve them well as it isn't considered exotic or adjusted much game to game.

But really, I'm looking beyond Dallas because the next team we face is very exotic. No other team has an offense like the Ravens. This takes time to prepare for and to scheme against. Those extra few days of prep after Thursday will give the Bills' defense an advantage that other teams didn't have against the Ravens. This could lead to an upset. #fingerscrossed

We see this in college football where teams like my alma mater (Georgia Tech) had an exotic run-based offense (triple option) that helps them win or outperform during the regular season against "better" teams. But, once the schedule stretches out late in the season and for bowl games, they get slaughtered because teams are prepared.

Let's hope those extra days help the Bills' defense against the Ravens' college offense.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

I do like having a mini bye week before the ravens. They may have to come up with something unique to slow them down. 

Yeah - containing the TEs with our LBs, tackling well, consistent rush angles.  If they do those things, and force LJ to try and beat us down the field in a december game in buffalo- they would have a chance.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BisonMan said:

Nobody likes a short week before going on the road. The Bills have to travel to Dallas for Thursday but, I think, that may be a good thing.

Dallas is a good team, but also a "normal" team. By that, I mean that Dallas' offensive and defensive schemes are not out of the ordinary. Neither team will put in much in the way of new exotic schemes/formations because they just don't have the time. The Bills' defensive scheme should serve them well as it isn't considered exotic or adjusted much game to game.

But really, I'm looking beyond Dallas because the next team we face is very exotic. No other team has an offense like the Ravens. This takes time to prepare for and to scheme against. Those extra few days of prep after Thursday will give the Bills' defense an advantage that other teams didn't have against the Ravens. This could lead to an upset. #fingerscrossed

We see this in college football where teams like my alma mater (Georgia Tech) had an exotic run-based offense (triple option) that helps them win or outperform during the regular season against "better" teams. But, once the schedule stretches out late in the season and for bowl games, they get slaughtered because teams are prepared.

Let's hope those extra days help the Bills' defense against the Ravens' college offense.

I like your point in terms of the Ravens.  I have the Dallas game as a loss due funny business by the refs.  In my mind the NFL would like to set them up with at least one home playoff game so the hoses will be waiting for us in Dallas.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I like your point in terms of the Ravens.  I have the Dallas game as a loss due funny business by the refs.  In my mind the NFL would like to set them up with at least one home playoff game so the hoses will be waiting for us in Dallas.  

Yes, and I expect some tripping calls against the Bills. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The refs could go either way.  They were clearly in the Cheats pocket with those phantom tripping calls.  I could see them trying to make it up to the 'girls by screwing us.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Yes, and I expect some tripping calls against the Bills. 

Seriously, I expect around 8-10 penalties called against us costing us 100 yards or so.  At least one offensive holding call on a 3rd down conversion to put us at 3rd and long.  One defensive pass interference call to give the Cowboys a key 3rd down conversion.  I hope that I am wrong but this is what I fear.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Seriously, I expect around 8-10 penalties called against us costing us 100 yards or so.  At least one offensive holding call on a 3rd down conversion to put us at 3rd and long.  One defensive pass interference call to give the Cowboys a key 3rd down conversion.  I hope that I am wrong but this is what I fear.

The Cowboys did get screwed by the refs in that game yesterday, and the league is undoubtedly highly aware of this. 

• Like (+1) 2

I have a feeling that Jaylon Smith is going to be tasked with spying Allen all game. We will mix in some runs, but I think this is the week where the offense will be geared around Allen attempting to beat the Cowboys with his arm. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Cowboys did get screwed by the refs in that game yesterday, and the league is undoubtedly highly aware of this. 

Those ‘trips’ were an absolute joke.

Overall, I had been pleased with the officiating the last couple of weeks but those were just horrendous. I hope we don’t have that group for Thanksgiving.  

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And the way I see the Cowboys beating us is by getting physical on the lines. Harder to achieve on a short week I'd suggest. I think once you take the physicality away (or reduce it significantly) this becomes a 50/50 ball game.

As far as the lines go, our OL is pretty nasty too.  As good as Morse is, if he can't go and Feliciano is in at C, they become that much more physical.

On the flip side, the Cowboys OL is fantastic, so I will be very interested to see how we match their physicality and try to confuse them.  Our DL has really come on in recent weeks.

Edited by SCBills

A lot of people drawing up losses , waiting for the other shoe to drop. We are so jaded as a fan base it’s really tough to tolerate some days. Some of the upcoming games are against teams that are better than us, we might lose, but we are a good enough team to hang with and possibly beat any of them. We have a good shot this Thursday, looking forward to watching this team fight to win in Jerry world. Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

As far as the refs go, if one were to believe that refs are swayed to one side or the other, a national game that everyone in the country is watching should help mitigate any funny business.

The NFL does not care if a billion people watch that game and complain about homer calls.  The NFL sees itself as a guardian of teams such as the Cowboys and does not care about the Bills.  The only way I see where the NFL would not put its finger on the scale in favor of Dallas is if they had the division all wrapped up but they don't with the Eagles only a game behind with 5 left to play.  Honestly, I have similar concerns about us with the Steelers with the game being played in Pittsburgh.  I hope that McDermott can get our guys amped to out physical the Cowboys as it will be necessary.  If we can get our 2 games before the Patriots game I will be less upset if we drop games to them and the Jets.