Big Blitz

Ed Oliver first half grade

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's out of position like Edmunds. Ed is too small to be a 1tech dt and not quite fast enough (yet) to be a pass rushing de. He will get better but we have to find him a spot?

Maybe we could convert him to WR, to take the place of the guy we SHOULD have taken in the first?

I thought he would be more destructive. Dominate in college not in the big boy league

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He's out of position like Edmunds. Ed is too small to be a 1tech dt and not quite fast enough (yet) to be a pass rushing de. He will get better but we have to find him a spot?

I think you are correct- right now his quickness is being neutralized too often by one lineman.

Wow. People losing their minds like usual. Give the kid a chance. He's a rookie.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

He’s not a defensive end.  He’s not out of position, he’s a rookie.  He’s made impacts that don’t show up on the stat sheet which is why he’s been the consistent leader in snaps among DT’s.  We went with size today.

• Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Maybe we could convert him to WR, to take the place of the guy we SHOULD have taken in the first?

And who would that be?

Just now, class_of_2012 said:

And who would that be?

The guy I've been harping about since draft day: Metcalf.

The people thinking he was going to be Aaron Donald right out of the gate clearly didn’t watch Ed or Aaron in college. 

Aaron was polished as a pass rusher coming out. His technique and pass rush moves were very good to go along with elite athleticism. 

Ed played out of position and relied a lot on his bull rush and athleticism. His pass rush technique and moves are very raw.

Ed needs to work on them a lot but he does show flashes that he can do it. He’s a rookie at a tough position on top of being raw. He has the strength and athleticism, just needs to learn and continue to add to his game. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

The guy I've been harping about since draft day: Metcalf.

I think Oliver will be fine.  I liked the pick.  Always love building in the trenches first.

But yea if we all had it over again I think 80 percent of us would say DK.  

Absolutely nothing against Oliver.  Just saying this offense desperately needs his prototype at WR.  

Just now, Not at the table Karlos said:

The people thinking he was going to be Aaron Donald right out of the gate clearly didn’t watch Ed or Aaron in college. 

Aaron was polished as a pass rusher coming out. His technique and pass rush moves were very good to go along with elite athleticism. 

Ed played out of position and relied a lot on his bull rush and athleticism. His pass rush technique and moves are very raw.

Ed needs to work on them a lot but he does show flashes that he can do it. He’s a rookie at a tough position on top of being raw. He has the strength and athleticism, just needs to learn and continue to add to his game. 

Agree with this 100 percent.  Still see the talent there. 

• Like (+1) 1

Need to cut back on his playing time. He'll get better with time and seasoning, but right now he is more liability than asset. Needs to meat up and get stronger from my view.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think you are correct- right now his quickness is being neutralized too often by one lineman.

But - his "metrics" are wonderful even if he can't make plays???

59 minutes ago, MJS said:

Wow. People losing their minds like usual. Give the kid a chance. He's a rookie.

Defensive rookies who are very good usually make an early impact. 

He’s just not that good... he’s not a waste of a pick. Maybe he gets better, maybe we’re saying the same things a year from now.🤷‍♂️

I just don’t see him being a big impact player. The problem is that’s what we were suppose to get!

IMO, we’d all like to see a bigger impact. However, I’d ask the same on Hughes and Star? Two veteran players that hav3 been almost invisible for 8 games. Front seven these last three games have really struggled!

29 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

But - his "metrics" are wonderful even if he can't make plays???

I like stats but in football especially for linemen the numbers can only go so far. But I overall have not seen him use his quickness effectively

33 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Defensive rookies who are very good usually make an early impact. 

And ones that aren't good their rookie year turn into good players too.

This board does this with Bills draft picks all the time see some of the things Trumaine Edwards has been called in here...the people who do evaluations of every snap of Bills games like Joe Buscgalia say he’s doing very well but I’d make that  pick every single day and never regret it as he’s going to be really good with more snaps and an NFL off season conditioning program behind him 

Obviously it's too early to make a judgement, but I would like to see a few flashes from him to make me feel better. He just seems so quiet on the field all the time.

i think everyone who is down on ed should take a looksey at the cant miss, blockbuster, arguably best player in the draft, quinnen williams stats.

it will make you feel better.

i think the kid is decent but just not a game disrupter yet. prob needs a full offseason of strength conditioning with coaches and seeing how often kyle is in his ear..he will have one of the best.

53 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

just not usually

According to what? Have any data to back that up?