Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Big Blitz

Ed Oliver first half grade

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I still would never take Metcalf in the top 10

 

DTs usually take a few years to flash, Metcalf has Wilson one of the best QBs in the world

 

 

Agreed. And Lockett out there to draw attention away from him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well well well how the turn tables. There was a time I felt he was getting there.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

It seems to me that coaching staff relied on Jordan Philips and Vincent Taylor to stop the run.

I will look at the snap count analysis, but if this is the case, not a very good sign for Star and Ed, which are supposed to be our starters...

If pro-football-reference.com is correct, here are the numbers:

Vincent Taylor - Only 9 snaps or 18%

Ed Oliver  only 18 snaps or 35%

Phillips 33 or 65%

Star 29 snaps or 57%

Star was a part of the 2nd half adjustments. To me, it doesn't look so bad for Star. Guys, there has to be a rotation of players. It helps them stay fresh. As for Ed, I think he will be effective as penetrating during passing situations, not as effective as a run stopper. Our LBs and safeties need to do their jobs too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Our LBs and safeties need to do their jobs too.

 

Edmunds seems terrible when run is going inside the tackle-box, while he's very good covering from sideline to sideline.

Even if he is in the right position runner is down three yards after the point of impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dopey said:

If pro-football-reference.com is correct, here are the numbers:

Vincent Taylor - Only 9 snaps or 18%

Ed Oliver  only 18 snaps or 35%

Phillips 33 or 65%

Star 29 snaps or 57%

Star was a part of the 2nd half adjustments. To me, it doesn't look so bad for Star. Guys, there has to be a rotation of players. It helps them stay fresh. As for Ed, I think he will be effective as penetrating during passing situations, not as effective as a run stopper. Our LBs and safeties need to do their jobs too.

35 percent isn't that bad - bear in mind that the Redskins ran a ridiculously low 49 plays (because they went 2-11 on third down). 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

 

Edmunds seems terrible when run is going inside the tackle-box, while he's very good covering from sideline to sideline.

Even if he is in the right position runner is down three yards after the point of impact.

I'm hoping he gets better at gap assignment. He can be a good one. Still a work in progress. Maybe he's still "thinking about it" too much and not to the point where it's a reaction. 

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

35 percent isn't that bad - bear in mind that the Redskins ran a ridiculously low 49 plays (because they went 2-11 on third down). 

I like Oliver. If we had bigger leads, he could come in and do what I think we got him for. Create pressure in passing situations. He's shown he can chase down rbs too. For now, I'm good with the Phillips-Star combo and a rotation of Taylor and Ed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BmarvB said:

He's going to need more time and experience

He's going to need more size if they want to keep him inside, problem with that he could loose quickness. Yesterday it looked as if he was being pushed around easily taken out of the play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid C+ 

Has things to work on, as any rookie would. If we had more or bigger leads, he could come in as the penetrating DT we envisioned he would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bangarang said:

When we drafted him I figured he’d have more of a presence with making plays in the backfield and getting to the QB. 
 

He’s having a very quiet season.

 

I expected the same.  Based on what he brought in college.. I thought he would be living in the backfield and disrupting running plays and getting the occasional sack.  The Bills had said as much when they drafted him.. that he was effectively a Kyle Williams replacement.  Everyone remembers KW's play.. he would shoot through the line and get the STF or disrupt the play (or the other team would run right through the hole he created with his penetration).  

 

To be honest, I don't know what would be worse.  The Bill's decision makers trying to turn him into a space eater like Lotulelei or Oliver just not having the ability to penetrate like he did in college.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

Man I hope this kid can get much better.  Hopefully he can be coached up. Otherwise huge first round whiff.

It will be interesting to see how alot of draft picks turn out.

 

Beane is seen as a good gm and talent assessor generally but if Oliver, Ford, Edmunds and Allen all start panning out to be average or worse than people will need to start asking questions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, london_bills said:

It will be interesting to see how alot of draft picks turn out.

 

Beane is seen as a good gm and talent assessor generally but if Oliver, Ford, Edmunds and Allen all start panning out to be average or worse than people will need to start asking questions. 

Honestly, I do wonder about the tactical deployment of a few of these guys.  For all listed (except for Allen), you could make an argument that the Bills aren't using them in optimal positions or in the correct manner.  Might not be misses per se... might just be not letting players play to their strengths.  Only time will tell I suppose.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, berg1029 said:

Honestly, I do wonder about the tactical deployment of a few of these guys.  For all listed (except for Allen), you could make an argument that the Bills aren't using them in optimal positions or in the correct manner.  Might not be misses per se... might just be not letting players play to their strengths.  Only time will tell I suppose.  

Yeah and coaching 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, he sure 'aint facing off against the 250 lb. OG's from East Appalachian State ... welcome to the NFL, little man!  Gonna take some time and some work with the dietary/training staff, and a year or so of maturing

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2019 at 11:02 AM, Yav said:

He's going to need more size if they want to keep him inside, problem with that he could loose quickness. Yesterday it looked as if he was being pushed around easily taken out of the play. 

Agreed. He's very quick but too light in the @$$ and can be easily pushed around by the bigger lineman. It's going to take a while for him to learn how to use their size against them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2019 at 5:57 PM, Bangarang said:

When we drafted him I figured he’d have more of a presence with making plays in the backfield and getting to the QB. 
 

He’s having a very quiet season.

Remember when we first traded for Biscuit? 

 

He instantly improved the D and was flying all over the place making big, impact plays that caught you attention.

 

If this board was around back then I don't think there would have been threads created trying to convince people that Cornelius was in fact a good player.  It was obvious to all who watched him play.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...