Josh Gordon released off IR

1 hour ago, starrymessenger said:

Passing on Gordon makes no sense to me. Very low risk/sunk cost (lower than Benjamin or Zay), high potential reward (higher than either one of those clowns). Hope this doesn't signal this administration's inability or unwillingness to try to work with talented players who require "special care". If so the talent pool may be limited. Good teams take chances on these types of players, and for a good reason, although in so doing they have different philosophies, approaches and methods: both Bill B and Pete Carrol do it, albeit in different ways. Honouring the process should not disguise a lack of self confidence or ability to manage personalities as volatile and diverse as you get on the typical NFL roster. Or maybe the McD culture is a lot more vulnerable than we have been led to believe. 

I'll watch with interest how Gordon makes out in Seattle. I think they just got better. 

Agree with you on the bolded, but re-read your own words.

Good teams take chances because they're good... Good teams aren't good because they take chances. Important distinction. Win first, then you have the equity to cut Antonio Brown after a week. Sign Antonio Brown and count on him to make you good, and he becomes Antonio Brown and destroys your locker room from within while you wait for him to make you good.

Buffalo is a season removed from 6-10 with a rookie quarterback, and has a very tenuous grasp on the foundations of a winning program. The soufflé is in the oven and it's rising baby, but every week more fans either want to eat it right now, or throw it away and start over. And the fukking ANGER they show over it is alarming--its just eggs and sugar big boy, and when it's done, we're having dessert. 

Sit back and enjoy.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

Not going to read through this thread--enjoying a nice glass (or 3) of red on a Friday night before an early bedtime so I can do some leaf blowing and wood splitting tomorrow with my boy--but I'm dying to know:

How many posters tonight are spiking their blood pressure because "my name recognition of this player outweighs Buffalo's scouting department and the Super Bowl champion's decision makers...we're doomed!"

Judging by the fact this is page 13, I'm guessing more than a handful?

Oh come on!  Does it really need a "scouting department" tpdecide whether yon want to take a chance on A guy like this?  

Anyway, this is the same "scouting department" that DID pull the trigger on the disaster that was Benjamin (and Kroft).

26 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

The soufflé is in the oven and it's rising baby, but every week more fans either want to eat it right now, or throw it away and start over. And the fukking ANGER they show over it is alarming--its just eggs and sugar big boy, and when it's done, we're having dessert. 

Sit back and enjoy.

BOOM!  I raise a toast your way brotha...  :beer:

Edited by Heitz

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Well, that’s just the thing.....all colas around here ARE Coke!

It’s tough to find a Pepsi! 

Interesting. I just thought it was a flip on folks in North Carolina calling all colas Pepsi. It’s a bit different now after all the migration, but still.... all the sales outside of major chains are Pepsi products. ?‍♂️

18 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

Good teams take chances because they're good... Good teams aren't good because they take chances. Important distinction. Win first, then you have the equity to cut Antonio Brown after a week. Sign Antonio Brown and count on him to make you good, and he becomes Antonio Brown and destroys your locker room from within while you wait for him to make you good.

Buffalo is a season removed from 6-10 with a rookie quarterback, and has a very tenuous grasp on the foundations of a winning program. The soufflé is in the oven and it's rising baby, but every week more fans either want to eat it right now, or throw it away and start over. And the fukking ANGER they show over it is alarming--its just eggs and sugar big boy, and when it's done, we're having dessert. 

Sit back and enjoy.

The point is that the Bills would not be taking much of a "chance" or risk in claiming Gordon, unless of course he was somehow a threat to the program, or should I say "process". And if a guy you could drop kick off your team at any time and for any reason is somehow a threat you need to avoid, then the structure is not very strong to begin with. 

Not putting a claim in on JG shouldn't be looked at in isolation. It's part of the bigger picture together with the team's inability to trade before the deadline. I'll admit to being disappointed to learn that the 49rs outbid the Bills for E. Sanders. You like Brown? Sanders has plenty left in the tank IMO and is probably a better WR. Speaking for myself, I derive little consolation from the thought that it's ok because the 49rs are a better team than the Bills.

There was also something odd in McD's peculiarly aggressive if not gratuitously hostile reason for not making a trade. 

Dick J was really good with DBs too, but he was only half a head coach. I hope we're not headed in the same direction again. In fairness I think Dick's hands were maybe somewhat tied by ownership that was no longer even interested in being competitive. Beane and McD don't have that excuse. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Interesting. I just thought it was a flip on folks in North Carolina calling all colas Pepsi. It’s a bit different now after all the migration, but still.... all the sales outside of major chains are Pepsi products. ?‍♂️

Here in Atlanta, home of Coke and the Coca-Cola Museum, there is no question who owns the market. Some of the nicer, older neighborhoods and some major roads are named after people from early in the Coca-Cola history. You can find Pepsi, if you want to look. But I’m not a soda guy, so maybe that’s more reputation than fact. National chain restaurants will of course live by whatever deals they have arranged. 

I actually had a buddy come in from out of town and we had some bad weather. I asked what he’d like to do.....and we ended up at the Coke Museum. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Here in Atlanta, home of Coke and the Coca-Cola Museum, there is no question who owns the market. Some of the nicer, older neighborhoods and some major roads are named after people from early in the Coca-Cola history. You can find Pepsi, if you want to look. But I’m not a soda guy, so maybe that’s more reputation than fact. National chain restaurants will of course live by whatever deals they have arranged. 

I actually had a buddy come in from out of town and we had some bad weather. I asked what he’d like to do.....and we ended up at the Coke Museum. 

Makes sense. A lot of NC was like that with Pepsi when I was a kid. Heck, my old man paid for college by loading Mountain Dew into trucks. Definitely different now. Figured other local markets would loosen the death grip as well. Learn something every day. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Makes sense. A lot of NC was like that with Pepsi when I was a kid. Heck, my old man paid for college by loading Mountain Dew into trucks. Definitely different now. Figured other local markets would loosen the death grip as well. Learn something every day. 

Yeah, Pepsi is certainly a legit competitor, and maybe more diversified (with fast food chains, etc.), but Coca-Cola is far more iconic. They blew it when they basically gave away bottling (largely to some people in Chattanooga) just to increase volume of sales. Push the product!  Turns out the bottling rights are worth billions, and they’ve been buying the rights back over time. 

I have a buddy who is a tax attorney from Chattanooga and he deals with SERIOUS wealth that Coca-Cola gave away a LONG time ago. Nobody is perfect! 

56 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh come on!  Does it really need a "scouting department" tpdecide whether yon want to take a chance on A guy like this?  

I mean, I think so. Yes. 

Personally, I lack the necessary metrics on comparable receivers; an understanding of how Josh Gordon performed in each play he was on the field this season with regards to the designed play call and his route tree; the understanding of the Buffalo Bills playbook that they intend to use for the remainder of the season and playoffs and how he would fit into that and impact other players; his perception around the league in coaching circles and locker rooms that may or may not have an impact on bringing him into an organization with a second year quarterback; and any handshake/backroom deals that may exist between the clubs making these moves to have an informed opinion strong enough to use exclamation points and go to bed angry over Buf not signing this player.

But--for the sake of relativity--there are also many, many posters on this board who go to bed angry that the Bills passed on Mahomes and Watson, and wake up forgetting that the Bills have a better record than the Chiefs or the Texans. Then they log on to here--a board for the Buffalo Bills! A team they presumably like!--and argue with people about why the Bills, despite having the better record, are worse than those 2 other teams, despite them having a worse record! I remember when being a fan of a team meant LIKING them, and, sometimes, even, defending them against other fans in a playful manner. 

But, the internet has a way of sucking the joy out of all facets of life, so.. back to the doom and gloom. Didn't mean to interrupt. The 5-2 Bills totally should have signed this decorated receiver, who I've heard on MANY message boards COULD be good, if he plays, because we all know his name, and it's best (like the Bills record) to ignore actual results and go with the reality we see in our mind. Because consensus and results don't matter--feelings do. Is there anyone in particular that's really out of line in here that we can tar and feather and demean? I'm up for some name calling.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyGold said:

Sit back and enjoy.

I need to buy you a beer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

Yeah, Pepsi is certainly a legit competitor, and maybe more diversified (with fast food chains, etc.), but Coca-Cola is far more iconic. They blew it when they basically gave away bottling (largely to some people in Chattanooga) just to increase volume of sales. Push the product!  Turns out the bottling rights are worth billions, and they’ve been buying the rights back over time. 

I have a buddy who is a tax attorney from Chattanooga and he deals with SERIOUS wealth that Coca-Cola gave away a LONG time ago. Nobody is perfect! 

That’s still better than Xerox and Kodak...

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

so then there is Zero point to preaching this culture, Strong lockerroom stuff.  It does take talent in this league to win. 

Beane and McDermott have frequently said they are not collecting talent, they’re building a team.

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

why?  So tell me why was AB. Bryant a RT that was in Prison a player with domestic issue last thief right type of guys?

Is English not your first language?

4 hours ago, ColeB said:

Beane and McDermott have frequently said they are not collecting talent, they’re building a team.

Is English not your first language?

yeah cool. So now tell me what Risk to “Building a team” would claiming Josh Gordon been?

it would have upgraded the WR group. Which in turn upgrades the Offense. Which in turn upgrades the team short term with zero long term liability. 

Edited by MAJBobby

9 hours ago, JohnnyGold said:

I mean, I think so. Yes. 

Personally, I lack the necessary metrics on comparable receivers; an understanding of how Josh Gordon performed in each play he was on the field this season with regards to the designed play call and his route tree; the understanding of the Buffalo Bills playbook that they intend to use for the remainder of the season and playoffs and how he would fit into that and impact other players; his perception around the league in coaching circles and locker rooms that may or may not have an impact on bringing him into an organization with a second year quarterback; and any handshake/backroom deals that may exist between the clubs making these moves to have an informed opinion strong enough to use exclamation points and go to bed angry over Buf not signing this player.

But--for the sake of relativity--there are also many, many posters on this board who go to bed angry that the Bills passed on Mahomes and Watson, and wake up forgetting that the Bills have a better record than the Chiefs or the Texans. Then they log on to here--a board for the Buffalo Bills! A team they presumably like!--and argue with people about why the Bills, despite having the better record, are worse than those 2 other teams, despite them having a worse record! I remember when being a fan of a team meant LIKING them, and, sometimes, even, defending them against other fans in a playful manner. 

But, the internet has a way of sucking the joy out of all facets of life, so.. back to the doom and gloom. Didn't mean to interrupt. The 5-2 Bills totally should have signed this decorated receiver, who I've heard on MANY message boards COULD be good, if he plays, because we all know his name, and it's best (like the Bills record) to ignore actual results and go with the reality we see in our mind. Because consensus and results don't matter--feelings do. Is there anyone in particular that's really out of line in here that we can tar and feather and demean? I'm up for some name calling.

Right on man! Right ***** on!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/31/2019 at 3:46 PM, One Buffalo said:

it should be noted that because Gordon was available via waivers and because Seattle was 28th on the waiver priority list, that means at least 27 other teams did not even attempt to claim the 28-year-old receiver.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/seahawks-claim-josh-gordon-off-waivers-giving-russell-wilson-another-target-in-former-patriots-receiver/