McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

9 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

Between that and observations from Daboll’s press conference the other day, seems like that Eagles game has him feeling ticked off. Maybe lit a fire? Not sure but I don’t mind!

Could be!   The Eagles game was disappointing but I think we’ll be fine.  The defense will get back to “elite” level soon enough.

32 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm going to guess that's because they were bad moves he doesn't want to repeat.

So AJ Green is Benjamin. ?

26 minutes ago, ALF said:

"There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way." -- Sean McDermott

Hindsight is 20-20 but who passed on Mahomes ?

Ding ding ding 

9 hours ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

If he blames the previous admin it looks like an excuse. If he blames Beane, it strains relationships. If he blames himself, he looks incompetent. 

Beane and McDermott are obviously going to play the year out with what they have. If all goes well, they can at least get a wildcard spot.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Atlanta of 2017 and KC that same year but KC was on a down swing when the Bills played them. 

I’m just skeptical these guys ever put together a decent offensive football team.... a lot of that depends on Allen but if they don’t add some big pieces and good FAs in the offseason they’ll be looking at another mediocre football team, IMO.

Per the data in another thread, Allen isn’t on pace for being the long term solution without a big day through the air to this point. 

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. Interesting Russell Wilson is on that list... Seahawks ran a pretty conservative offense their first couple years with him. Daboll and the Bills offense is much more pass oriented and Allen barely breaks 200..... he just gets too erratic and inconsistent at points throughout games. Not sure that ever improves.

I mean, technically, just about everybody is on the list. There are 130 QB’s. Haha

Russ is just a head of Allen by a game (assuming JA drops 300 on the redskins) in terms of games started without going for 300. People seem to think Allen is an anomaly. He might be, but I think he has to have a big game through the air by the time we wrap up the playoffs or he’s flirting with being replaced as the starter sometime in year 3 or to start year 4. 

Edited: Allen’s placement compared to RW

Edited by Mango

Star is a mistake with that contract. Benjamin was a mistake as well as pretty much any of the Panthers players we brought in. We are playing money ball now as a lot of teams are. I think we have great coaches but we make some poor decisions with RBs (except Singletary) and receivers. However, with that said we are a good team but we need a piece or two on the offensive line, a piece or two on the defensive line (edge rusher too), Lorenzo’s replacement and an A+ wide receiver. 
Every regime selects players for their team vision. A lot of things look like mistakes when the next guys scheme doesn’t jive with the player. All things considered, I think Rex had the worst selections (all the Jets players, Percy Harvin etc..).

2 hours ago, QCity said:

JW's right. 

This team was never going to contend for a title this year, sorry if it just dawned on you last Sunday.

I don’t think he is right. The overwhelming majority of fans have bought into the process. Acting like fans ran good coaches out of town is ridiculous. McD and Beane have plenty of support, they need to win a few big games before they start talking about other people’s mistake.

You can’t make everyone happy but you can be professional and avoid statements like the one he made today. We did our due dilligence and nothing made sense for the direction we are headed. Simple. 

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oh snap. 

I absolutely hate that quote by McDermott, since there are so many trade scenarios it didn't have to be a huge trade like AJ Green but something minor that could have helped us in the long run. There could have been several positions that could have helped, you don't have to mortgage the future but to sit on your hands and do nothing when there are clear issues that need to be addressed? I'm not a fan of it.

17 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Sammy Watkins

Ya and McDermott essentially passing on Watson and Mahomes to then have to wheel and deal a bunch of picks in order to get up to 7 to take Allen, If Allen doesn't pan out, will be far worse than the Watkins move

Edited by Laughing Coffin

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I would say yes that too though it looked ok at the time 

Agreed....when we traded for him I thought it was going to be a good trade

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I absolutely hate that quote by McDermott, since there are so many trade scenarios it didn't have to be a huge trade like AJ Green but something minor that could have helped us in the long run. There could have been several positions that could have helped, you don't have to mortgage the future but to sit on your hands and do nothing when there are clear issues that need to be addressed? I'm not a fan of it.

We have absolutely no idea what teams were asking for in compensation for a trade

For instance....Corey Davis....I actually like him....what if the Titans were just asking for too much?