Is Tremaine Edmunds the answer at MLB?

KOKO NFL

2 hours ago, KOKO NFL said:

I've heard all the talk that our second year MLB is a physical freak with size and speed. My eyes, however, tell me he's not tough or instinctive enough to be a good MLB, let alone a great one. IMO Beane and McDermott need to take a serious look at this position in the off season and upgrade. Perhaps Edmonds is better suited for OLB? Fans can speculate but only the coaching staff can make an educated guess. So... is Tremaine Edmunds the answer at MLB?

No, because Luke Kuechly is... Edmunds and Milano at OLB

Like most MLBs Edmunds needs our DTs to absorb blockers to allow him to get to the runner.  

He he is going to get stronger and better with age and experience.  We lost, they ran on us, we ran into an angry team that is better than us.   Now is not the time to quit and assign blame.  Now is the time to learn and get better.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I think Edmunds could be a generational talent as a Sam, but think he’s a square peg in a round hole at the Mike.

So true....he's a fish out of water in the middle. Constantly getting lost in the wash. And no this isn't the first time this has happened. Maybe because of his age he'll get better but my gut says he'd be so much better in the SAM.

• Like (+1) 1

I saw him on at least 3 running plays today running unblocked towards the los without any regard for where the ball carrier was going.  In all 3 cases, he wasn’t anywhere near where the play was going, and just ended up in a mess of OL and DL.  

I’d be shocked if come training camp next season, he is not moved to OLB. 

I'm not so sure about Tremaine, but he is still young and growing into his body.  I kind of would like to see him slip over to OLB in Lorax place next year and bring in Bobby Wagner in FA. That would be my big spend and make this D killer elite.  With Horrible Harry back and everyone in the system another year, I think we'd finally challenge NE.  We just need Josh to develop and spend the rest keeping the Oline in place and getting a stud RB and WR.

31 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I saw him on at least 3 running plays today running unblocked towards the los without any regard for where the ball carrier was going.  In all 3 cases, he wasn’t anywhere near where the play was going, and just ended up in a mess of OL and DL.  

I’d be shocked if come training camp next season, he is not moved to OLB. 

Yep.  Needs to read plays better.

The Eagles offense run plays designed with lots of distraction.  I can see a second year man getting confused out there.  I wouldn't judge Edmunds based just on the eagles game.  That said, there's no question that he needs to improve.

I feel like if Edmunds isn't reading the plays better/is more consistent by years' end, some consideration should be given to moving him to the SAM. The guy is still a physical freak and has a lot of talent. He's good enough to be on the field, for sure. But is he a MIKE? I'm not sure yet. He has gotten better, but he needs to take another step. I'm willing to give him 2 full seasons to figure it out, especially considering how young he was when he came into the league.

6 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

The Eagles offense run plays designed with lots of distraction.  I can see a second year man getting confused out there.  I wouldn't judge Edmunds based just on the eagles game.  That said, there's no question that he needs to improve.

He's started 23 NFL games now, played in another 8 preseason NFL games and been part of 2 NFL training camps and he still looks lost. It really needs to be addressed that maybe he isn't the answer at MLB.