Offensive identity?

familykwi

6 minutes ago, BananaB said:

Gore is a having solid season but he’s not the guy you want your run game to be focused around at this point in his career. Week after week we watch them stroll him out their early in games when they plan on running, then take him out in passing situations. He’s a tough back, but he’s not helping this offense get moving early in games.

Tough to do when you only get 9 carries the entire game.  We ran the ball a whole 12 times today in crap weather with our RB's.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

We kill drives with weird running plays to a 36 yo rb. That's our identity. When we lined up on 3-1 early in the first with dimarco and gore. I said to my wife and kid...game over. If that's our strategy today, we aren't going to win. Can't quit important drives.

• Like (+1) 1

Hard to have an identity on offense when the HC makes building the defense a priority in years 1 and 2 of a complete rebuild.  Well, aside from drafting a QB they did very little on offense in (EDIT: 2017-18), hurried to catch up this past off-season and expected the offense to make a huge leap to being average from 2018.  

It has failed miserably through 7 games.  

Edited by BillsVet

16 minutes ago, vorpma said:

We lost, the seasons over and the "sky is falling!"

A bit dismissive.  What intelligent, well reasoned point are you making here?  I think this thread is valid regardless of the outcome. 

Could you have defined our identity after last week's game?  The sky is not falling, we lost to a good team.  No disgrace there.

I'd just like to see us do something in particular well to help us build consistency and confidence offensively.

It seems like the Bills would like to say they're a run oriented offense with play action passing but in reality their a hack rushing offense and end up putting JA in position to have to play perfect football in order to proceed.  In this game Singletary made a nice run after the catch to score 1 TD,  but did anyone else on offense make any great plays?  Bills want Allen to run the ball on 3rd and 4th and 2's but don't want him to play "reckless".  I think Allen is learning to play exactly how the Bills coaching staff wants him to and that is a big part of the problem! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

He appears to be a problem, he’s certainly not THE problem.

This is well said.

"Play calling" may not be the best it could be but it has nothing to do with why we lost today or why we lost to the Patriots.

29 minutes ago, thronethinker said:

Players are constantly getting plays confused. Saw it multiple times today. 

They've already said it's the most complicated offense they've ever dealt with. Not to mention Dumbell's plays take way too long to develop. And this puts Josh at risk of strip sack fumbles. I don't see Dumbell surviving after the season.

There is plenty of blame to go around after this game for sure. The play calling is a head scratcher for sure at times. The big problem I have is not making proper use of a dynamic player like Singletary. The guy was showing really great numbers for his limited touches early on before the hamstring injury, now he is finally back and again being totally under utilized. Get this guy the ball, especially out in space and good things happen as with today’s TD. The OC’s decision to keep this guy on the bench or only used as a decoy is just plain dumb and really unexplainable.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

We started the season with rhythm passing, short completions, move the chains.   Keeps Josh upright and the offense gets good time of possession.

Now we will go entire halves with none of that.    

Easy to blame the OC, but C'mon Daboll you have to take into account how your defense is playing, weather etc., and adjust man.

33 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Tough to do when you only get 9 carries the entire game.  We ran the ball a whole 12 times today in crap weather with our RB's.

Agreed. It’s been the same most of the season. I think Gore had 4 of those carries on the first two drives. Lol

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Hard to have an identity on offense when the HC makes building the defense a priority in years 1 and 2 of a complete rebuild.  Well, aside from drafting a QB they did very little on offense in (EDIT: 2017-18), hurried to catch up this past off-season and expected the offense to make a huge leap to being average from 2018.  

It has failed miserably through 7 games.  

QB 7th overall, 2 OTs and a WR taken at the top of the 2nd round.

McD is a defensive HC and he hasn’t had good OCs leading his offense. 

2 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

We started the season with rhythm passing, short completions, move the chains.   Keeps Josh upright and the offense gets good time of possession.

Now we will go entire halves with none of that.    

Easy to blame the OC, but C'mon Daboll you have to take into account how your defense is playing, weather etc., and adjust man.

Defensive units have a pretty clear cut goal - prevent the other team from scoring and try to make them punt, get a turnover when you can.  

On offense it should be try to score every time you have the ball.  In certain situations such as the end of a half or end of game then worry about managing the clock.  Bills coaches seem perfectly content to just try to get a first down and then punt and play field position.   

Successful teams: Whats are plan on offense?  To score a touchdown! How we going to do that?  Get first downs!  

Bills - Whats are plan on offense?  Run some plays and see if they work, run some time off the clock, then punt and play field position, let the defense win it.