Bills 13, Eagles 31 postgame thread

Just now, Lurker said:

Yep.   

It amazes me that year after year following a loss the same posters ALWAYS say the Bills players/coaches/front office stink, are pathetic etc.  And NEVER acknowledge that the other team just might be better.     

Philly was the bigger, better and more experience team heading into the game--and the results showed it.   Does that mean the Bills should just roll over and forget about the remaining nine games?   Apparently some posters here would say yes to that...

NFL games get obsessively dissected, but sometimes it’s simply that one team plays better.  That’s what happened today.  Got their butt kicked.  

Just now, oldmanfan said:

NFL games get obsessively dissected, but sometimes it’s simply that one team plays better.  That’s what happened today.  Got their butt kicked.  

That’s what is often forgotten. How’d the Jets look after their big win over the Cowboys ? Many were picking them to upset New England , lol . 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

That’s what is often forgotten. How’d the Jets look after their big win over the Cowboys ? Many were picking them to upset New England , lol . 

Every year some teams get their behinds kicked by teams below them in the standings.  Hell, every week pretty much.

That said they have things to fix to be sure.

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

How does it work then ? The Niners appear to be for real after a few drafts and FA acquisitions , and they don’t have a QB on a rookie deal either. I don’t think there’s just one way to get it done. 

Why are the Niners for real this season in Shanahan’s third season while the Bills remain pretenders?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yep.   

It amazes me that year after year following a loss the same posters ALWAYS say the Bills players/coaches/front office stink, are pathetic etc.  And NEVER acknowledge that the other team just might be better.     

Philly was the bigger, better and more experience team heading into the game--and the results showed it.   Does that mean the Bills should just roll over and forget about the remaining nine games?   Apparently some posters here would say yes to that...

There is one flaw with your theory. If the other team is better (which too many have been over the years) you can blame the front office for that. On a serious note, I like this team and the current regime. I just think we have a way to go. 

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Why are the Niners for real this season in Shanahan’s third season while the Bills remain pretenders?

The Bills tore down the offense after year one. It’s year 3 yes, but the niners are a year ahead. Bills need another good draft and FA period. They took a different approach, and there’s more than one way to do it. 

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This is a pretty realistic assessment. While they made some big changes on the O, it was because they had little worth keeping. They’re still a stud WR and a tackle away ( at least ) on offense, and the D needs an elite pass rusher. That doesn’t mean they can’t still improve this year and even make the playoffs. I doubt anyone thought this roster was championship caliber right now. 

Yup I had us at 10-6 with the wildcard this year and I’ve hit every single game in the prediction to be at 5-2 right now. The people who are upset right now are just mad they got ahead of themselves. 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

The Bills tore down the offense after year one. It’s year 3 yes, but the niners are a year ahead. Bills need another good draft and FA period. They took a different approach, and there’s more than one way to do it. 

Also, I'm not sure that the 49ers are built to win a championship with Jimmy G at QB. It looks great now but you generally need excellent QB play to win in the playoffs with very, very few exceptions. We'll see if they have it.

12 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yep.   

Yes, year after year no one acknowledges the be Bills might not just be that good as we make the playoffs and make Super Bowl runs over and over.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yes the D sucked, but it was all after that huge turnover.  You have to go into the locker room up at least 7-3.  

Nonsense.  This isn't high school football.  You don't fold the tent up and go home just because you lose a 7 - 3 lead at half and go down 11 - 7.  These guys are PROFESSIONALS.  There should have been NO ill effects after the fumble and Eagle TD drive.

And for the record if this was truly an elite defense, say like NE's, why do we assume they give up a TD AND 2 pt conversion here.  How about we go into the locker room up 7 - 6 at half? 

Don't make more of the fumble then it was. 

15 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This is a pretty realistic assessment. While they made some big changes on the O, it was because they had little worth keeping. They’re still a stud WR and a tackle away ( at least ) on offense, and the D needs an elite pass rusher. That doesn’t mean they can’t still improve this year and even make the playoffs. I doubt anyone thought this roster was championship caliber right now. 

Exactly right.  They improved an offense that was in the bottom two in the NFL last year and lifted it to (at best) the middle of the pack.  But this is still NOT an offense that can explode for a lot of points. 

And for the record, it's not like the D & Special teams have helped an admittedly mediocre O with great field position.  Through 7 games the D & ST's have given the ball to the O in the opponents red zone only once.  In fact, they have given the ball to the O on the opponents side of the field ONLY twice.  Our O has had to go on to many long drives to score points. 

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Nonsense.  This isn't high school football.  You don't fold the tent up and go home just because you lose a 7 - 3 lead at half and go down 11 - 7.  These guys are PROFESSIONALS.  There should have been NO ill effects after the fumble and Eagle TD drive.

And for the record if this was truly an elite defense, say like NE's, why do we assume they give up a TD AND 2 pt conversion here.  How about we go into the locker room up 7 - 6 at half? 

Don't make more of the fumble then it was. 

I get it but the call to run the QB in that situation was emblematic of the questionable play call Daboll has been giving us all year.

I don't know whats going through his head but it seems he is convinced (by the analytics no doubt) we have to pass to win and only uses the run game to set up the pass game later, or to do something nonsensically cute like call a designed QB run when Frank Gore has been tearing them apart up the middle.

I get the idea using JA's legs now and then but it just seemed like an odd spot to call a designed run like that.  I just think he constantly outthinks his own self by doing whatever a logical person would not do.  

Its got to get to JA and the guys on both sides of the ball after a while.  

untitled.png

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yep.   

The solution to this problem would be for the Bills to be constructed to be the better team on a consistent basis against legit competition. 

Go beat the teams they should beat and win a couple against good teams and those posters will be silent. 

There is alot of season left and there are many different directions it could turn. Some are good; some not good. Things are definitely starting to come into focus and it's not all rainbows and butterflies. 

I'm patient. I'm OK with the season thus far. But all the key players from the GM to the HC to the QB need to do a lot more to earn long term trust.

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Yes, year after year no one acknowledges the be Bills might not just be that good as we make the playoffs and make Super Bowl runs over and over.

When are these posters going to start being more appreciative of this franchise and all of their Super Bowl championships?! 

When???!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1