Tim Graham interview with Brandon Beane

YoloinOhio

Summary of Brandon Beane comments on The Tim Graham Show – October 23, 2019

1.       Attitude in locker room no different at 5-1 from 0-0. Folks are hungry. Hyde was texting Secondary Coach and being self-critical after seeing film before even the coach had looked at it.

2.       Trade deadline – Will get more skill, but that is not the only criterion. Fit (culture) is important in deciding to trade for.

3.       Trade interest doesn’t start GM to GM. Usually an Asst. GM to Asst. GM type would happen based on personal contacts and, if there is some interest, then GMs will get involved.

4.       Are Bills buyers or sellers? Neither. Not shopping anybody actively, but listening.

5.       KB trade – happened at last minute unexpectedly (for Beane) because Carolina relaxed their demands. Comp picks were a consideration in the KB trade. (many TBD posters will like that).

6.       Philosophy is building through the draft. Trading a first or second – usually agent will get involved – so the player can be signed long term.

7.       Some stupid questions too – asking if team’s projected draft position is a factor in a trade. Duh!

8.       TG kissing some Beane ass – complimenting Beane on his staff – says Bills never had such a competent staff. Beane did say he went for competence rather than just knowing them from before.

9.       Beane – confidentiality of trade talks important – don’t want to leak things that so and so is on the block.

10.   Some more on how mesh and fit is important especially mid-season.

11.   Most important question - TG tried – asked for clues regarding players Bills are interested at the deadline that we shd be researching – Beane sidestepped and said how about Jerry Rice. That may be an indication that Bills are looking to upgrade at receiver. Or not. Take it for what it is.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 22

30 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

1.       Attitude in locker room no different at 5-1 from 0-0. Folks are hungry. Hyde was texting Secondary Coach and being self-critical after seeing film before even the coach had looked at it.

2.       Trade deadline – Will get more skill, but that is not the only criterion. Fit (culture) is important in deciding to trade for.

3.       Trade interest doesn’t start GM to GM. Usually an Asst. GM to Asst. GM type would happen based on personal contacts and, if there is some interest, then GMs will get involved.

4.       Are Bills buyers or sellers? Neither. Not shopping anybody actively, but listening.

5.       KB trade – happened at last minute unexpectedly (for Beane) because Carolina relaxed their demands. Comp picks were a consideration in the KB trade. (many TBD posters will like that).

6.       Philosophy is building through the draft. Trading a first or second – usually agent will get involved – so the player can be signed long term.

7.       Some stupid questions too – asking if team’s projected draft position is a factor in a trade. Duh!

8.       TG kissing some Beane ass – complimenting Beane on his staff – says Bills never had such a competent staff. Beane did say he went for competence rather than just knowing them from before.

9.       Beane – confidentiality of trade talks important – don’t want to leak things that so and so is on the block.

10.   Some more on how mesh and fit is important especially mid-season.

11.   Most important question - TG tried – asked for clues regarding players Bills are interested at the deadline that we shd be researching – Beane sidestepped and said how about Jerry Rice. That may be an indication that Bills are looking to upgrade at receiver. Or not. Take it for what it is.

Thanks for the summary!

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm still trying to figure out who the ***** is Alice?

... Alice. Remember Alice? This is a song about Alice.

38 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

i.e., no Josh Gordon

38 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

8.       Beane did say he went for competence rather than just knowing them from before.

... and also lay to rest the "Carolina Connection" myth.

Interesting that he noted specifically "you have to listen to offers in areas where you're deep".....then immediately followed that up with "not that we have had any"

I went through our roster and noted a few areas where we are fairly deep.

TE - I could see Kroft being a guy they would be willing to deal

WR - Robert Foster is a guy I don't want the Bills to give up on.....I still think there's a lot of talent there, but I'm not sure the Bills like him.  I think he'd have some value around the league too, for those teams sorely missing the speed presence (think Eagles, after we play them of course)

CB - Levi Wallace.  Now hear me out.  I don't think the Bills would do it, I don't think they should do it.......but what if a team offered a 2nd and 4th for Levi.  He was an undrafted FA, to turn that into a year and half of productive play then into a 2nd and 4th would be amazing asset management.  Once again, doesn't make our team better for this year, but long term it would be worth some consideration if the offer was big enough.  McDermott seems to have a magic touch with turning guys into productive starters in the secondary, so I'd have some faith they could replace Levi adequately.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Man whichever WR they do trade for is going to have some high expectations.

6 hours ago, Estro said:

Interesting that he noted specifically "you have to listen to offers in areas where you're deep".....then immediately followed that up with "not that we have had any"

I went through our roster and noted a few areas where we are fairly deep.

TE - I could see Kroft being a guy they would be willing to deal

WR - Robert Foster is a guy I don't want the Bills to give up on.....I still think there's a lot of talent there, but I'm not sure the Bills like him.  I think he'd have some value around the league too, for those teams sorely missing the speed presence (think Eagles, after we play them of course)

CB - Levi Wallace.  Now hear me out.  I don't think the Bills would do it, I don't think they should do it.......but what if a team offered a 2nd and 4th for Levi.  He was an undrafted FA, to turn that into a year and half of productive play then into a 2nd and 4th would be amazing asset management.  Once again, doesn't make our team better for this year, but long term it would be worth some consideration if the offer was big enough.  McDermott seems to have a magic touch with turning guys into productive starters in the secondary, so I'd have some faith they could replace Levi adequately.

Agree with the first two as doesn't really weaken the Bills much.  Trading Wallace would make the team much weaker now, who and how do you replace him for the remainder of the year.  Certainly if they picked up a top CB to replace him, great but otherwise would not let him go.  Agree with Foster and Kroft though. You could also add Yeldon to that list too.

I think trading Foster is a no brainer if you get a proven WR2 in return. He truly hasn’t proven much as indicated by his inability to get on the field this year. He has potential, which is why he makes for good trade bait, but potential doesn’t always turn into production. I am hoping his inactive status last week is a sign that someone is interested and they are making sure he doesn’t get nicked up.