R Talbot (via ESPN) - bills on the hunt for a WR

Reed83HOF

2 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Lol. It's a joke until he becomes a Bill.

Mike Evans would be an upgrade at WR obviously, but anything more than a 3rd and Bills' fans will begin losing sleep at night at some point, wondering if the team got its money's worth.

Mike Evans has never had a season with a catch % of 60 or better more than once and the season he did, it was slightly lower than Sammy Watkins' best season with the Bills; Sammy Watkins didn't feel like a go-to receiver even in his best season with Buffalo. 

I'm just sayin'.

To be fair I haven’t watched him play up close. I feel like the QB has some influence on that metric as well... but I don’t know Godwin is near tops in the league 

17 minutes ago, McBean said:

Julio, Mike Evans, Green in that order.

Send a first this year for one of them. Our first rounder this year is going to be late, and we’re going to miss out anyway on a top WR via draft. 

I actually think I prefer Mike Evans... Younger, likely cheaper, and more of a fit for our needs. (though Julio would also be a great fit)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DCOrange said:

Jameis isn't great, but he's roughly an average starting QB. He's not so bad that you can write off a disappointing Evans stat due to the presence of Jameis.

In reality though, the reason Evans' catch rate is relatively low is because the throws that come his way are generally low probability throws. Deep balls in general are low-percentage; add in the fact that Evans tends to get contested deep balls and it makes it even more low percentage. He's still a great, possibly even elite WR though. Having said that, I highly highly doubt Tampa has any interest in trading him. Worst case scenario (from their point of view), him and Godwin are exactly what they want in place for a new QB next year. Best case scenario is that Jameis settles in the 2nd half of the year and they have a great offense and an average or below-average defense.

If Buffalo wants to trade for a WR, I would think there's at least some chance of getting the following guys:

Difference makers:

• AJ Green
  • Corey Davis

Under-the-radar:

• Marqise Lee
  • Nelson Agholer
  • Paul Richardson

I'd be fine with taking a flier on any of these guys depending on the price.

Not a million years.  Cant catch (a requirement for WR's) and poor effort 

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Not a million years.  Cant catch (a requirement for WR's) and poor effort 

To be clear, I wouldn't offer more than a Day 3 pick for him at this point. We'd essentially be just taking a flier to see if a change of scenery does him any good.

Edit: FWIW, he's caught 25 of 30 catchable targets this year (83.3%).

Bills target leaders:

Beasley: 30/36 - 83.3%

Brown: 33/39 - 84.6%

Knox: 12/21 - 57%

So he's actually right in line with our top guys and considering their respective average depth of target, he's ahead of Beasley (and obviously Knox).

Edited by DCOrange

19 minutes ago, McBean said:

Julio, Mike Evans, Green in that order.

Send a first this year for one of them. Our first rounder this year is going to be late, and we’re going to miss out anyway on a top WR via draft. 

Julio just signed a big contract, and they traded Sanu. The Falcons still have a lot of talent, and they could easily bounce back to 10-11 wins next season.  I don't think they're trading him. 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Julio just signed a big contract, and they traded Sanu. The Falcons still have a lot of talent, and they could easily bounce back to 10-11 wins next season.  I don't think they're trading him. 

With coaching and some investment on the line and in the D, they can contend next year. I don't think they're rebuilding- they just need a new coach.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I wouldnt take him for free.

I edited my post after the fact, but just for your awareness, Agholor's true catch rate per PlayerProfiler.com (receptions / catchable targets) the past two years has been 85.3% and 83.3% respectively. Basically puts him on par or better than all of the Bills receivers. He's definitely nothing special as a player, but he's a potential starting caliber guy for sure and Buffalo could definitely use another one of those.

Edited by DCOrange

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

in order:

Trent Williams

Stephon Diggs

Mike Evans

Corey Davis

AJ Green

Corey Davis is rumored to be out there and would be an interesting “Jerry Hughes type” of move. You can maybe resurrect the career of a former early pick with a lot of talent. He’s played with trash Mariota. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Yeah, I know that, but does anyone have any info on what's really going right now? I assume he's hurt and simply not able to perform at 100 percent, and if his speed game isn't there, he's not much use. But I don't really know.  

As we all know, OBD has been tight lipped since McD arrived.  McD harps on getting better every day and earning your opportunity.  My take is Foster has been hurt but also isn't showing enough in practice when healthy.  Therefore he sits.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Corey Davis is rumored to be out there and would be an interesting “Jerry Hughes type” of move. You can maybe resurrect the career of a former early pick with a lot of talent. He’s played with trash Mariota. 

6 catches on 7 targets for 80 yards and a TD with Tannehill throwing to him this past Sunday. I doubt he gets moved; TN has a solid shot at winning that division (as does every other team in the AFC central). 

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Not with that defense. There's going to be a coaching change. Honestly, they look awful, but I doubt Julio gets traded. The owner loves the fella.

I know people keep throwing out Mike Evans name and don't get me wrong, he would be an amazing pick up if they could get him but the Bucs aren't giving him up. Bruce Arians isn't in Tampa Bay for a rebuild. He's a cornerstone of that franchise at the moment. And even though Jameis is playing bad, take a look at Carson Palmers first half of his first season with Arians, it was VERY similar to Jameis. 

I'm just not seeing Arians giving up that piece EVEN IF they decide to go a new QB route.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

6 catches on 7 targets for 80 yards and a TD with Tannehill throwing to him this past Sunday. I doubt he gets moved; TN has a solid shot at winning that division (as does every other team in the AFC central). 

Yeah, I think it’s unlikely too. If he could be had for a 3rd though I’d do it in a second.

12 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I know people keep throwing out Mike Evans name and don't get me wrong, he would be an amazing pick up if they could get him but the Bucs aren't giving him up. Bruce Arians isn't in Tampa Bay for a rebuild. He's a cornerstone of that franchise at the moment. And even though Jameis is playing bad, take a look at Carson Palmers first half of his first season with Arians, it was VERY similar to Jameis. 

I'm just not seeing Arians giving up that piece EVEN IF they decide to go a new QB route.

I doubt they do it but it just seems like a perfect marriage of a trade.  

Evans is everything we want for Allen in a #1.  Hes the prototype when we also have John Brown on the outside and Cole Beasley in the slot. 

If, big if, they’re moving on from Jameis, they could certainly use a first rounder to package in a move up to guarantee they get their QB.   

Evans is the only guy they have that gets them that extra draft capital.  OJ Howard is intriguing, but he’s not bringing back a 1st.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1