Belicheat exposee loophole in rules

The only criticism here is, "why didn't he keep doing it?" He should have done everyone a favor and keep taking the penalties and time.

I turned this game on early in the 1st quarter, and I was done with it before the end of the 1st quarter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, voodoo poonani said:

Belicheat does it again! This time with a loophole, takes 1 min 22 sec off of the clock.

Nobody goes through the rulebook quite like him. I'm surprised he wasted it against the jests.

Link

Gase probably would have kept declining because he's awful.

Meh...

The inverse is a team can commit penalties to stop the clock. Gase could have just accepted as well. It wasn’t some loophole that existed in a vacuum or is an oddity like that wonky formation vs. the Ravens. 

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. 

This is what Belichek said about it:

“No, it was just the way the rules are set up. We were able to run quite a bit of time off the clock without really having to do anything. That’s probably a loophole that will be closed and probably should be closed but right now it’s open,” Belichick said.

The Patriots were so far ahead in the fourth quarter that it really didn’t matter, but Belichick is right that this loophole should be closed. Teams shouldn’t be able to take more than 40 seconds off the clock between plays. Perhaps this is a rule Belichick wants to see changed, and he was waiting until just the right time to demonstrate that it needs to change."

It is hard to say he "exploited" anything with a 33-0 fourth quarter lead.  Its much more logical to assume he used the opportunity to bring attention to it.  Exploiting it would have been running out the clock in the final two minutes of a playoff game with a 1 point lead. 

Edited by PlayoffsPlease
  • Like (+1) 9

3 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

“No, it was just the way the rules are set up. We were able to run quite a bit of time off the clock without really having to do anything. That’s probably a loophole that will be closed and probably should be closed but right now it’s open,” Belichick said.

The Patriots were so far ahead in the fourth quarter that it really didn’t matter, but Belichick is right that this loophole should be closed. Teams shouldn’t be able to take more than 40 seconds off the clock between plays. Perhaps this is a rule Belichick wants to see changed, and he was waiting until just the right time to demonstrate that it needs to change."

It is are to say he "exploited" anything with a 33-0 fourth quarter lead.  Its much more logical to assume he used the opportunity to bring attention to it.  Exploiting it would have been running out the clock in the final two minutes of a playoff game with a 1 point lead. 

I also don’t think BB’s thought there was to run out the clock. My guess is Gase declines, and BB was like “wait, what? You need the clock, I need the 5 yards. Let’s try this again Adam” then facepalm laughter ensued. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, PlayoffsPlease said:

It is are to say he "exploited" anything with a 33-0 fourth quarter lead.  Its much more logical to assume he used the opportunity to bring attention to it.  Exploiting it would have been running out the clock in the final two minutes of a playoff game with a 1 point lead. 

I noticed this too. No one commented on it during the game. The announcers were clueless.

Funny side note- I heard a caller comment on this loophole during a One Bills Live broadcast and get laughed off the air by both Murphy and Tasker who were both sure that the clock stopped running after a penalty.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I also don’t think BB’s thought there was to run out the clock. My guess is Gase declines, and BB was like “wait, what? You need the clock, I need the 5 yards. Let’s try this again Adam” then facepalm laughter ensued. 

I am not sure what Jets fans did to be made to suffer so much.  Gase is not good at his job, and has a terrible personality to boot. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, vincec said:

I noticed this too. No one commented on it during the game. The announcers were clueless.

Funny side note- I heard a caller comment on this loophole during a One Bills Live broadcast and get laughed off the air by both Murphy and Tasker who were both sure that the clock stopped running after a penalty.

I'm shocked, I tell ya! Shocked!

4 minutes ago, vincec said:

It does, if it is accepted. If it is declined, there is no penalty, so the clock keeps running. 

Changing the rule would mean that teams could purposely commit a penalty to stop the clock.  Maybe the solution is to cap declining penalties at 2 in a row on the same down. But even still...

This whole thing is a non-issue. 99.9% of the time, accepting the penalty and stopping the clock is the correct decision. If you’re down by one and on defense, if the offense wants to jump Offside or miss the play clock, why wouldn’t you accept the yardage and stop the clock?  If you’re down by one and the defense wants to jump the snap, you either get a free positive play, or you accept the penalty and stop the clock. 

This is more Gase being a dumb-dumb. It was stupid and pointless to decline twice. 

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Anyone want to explain what happened!

NE was punting, and wanted more room, so they took a delay of game to back up 5 yards. Gase declined because he was hoping for the touchback. Then BB basically did it again, and Gase declined again. 

Because the penalty was declined, it basically means there was none. So the clock kept wronging. Gase is an idiot. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Anyone want to explain what happened!

Patriots* were punting from Jets 40 or so and wanted to get a little more room for punter to work with, so they let clock run all way down and took delay of game.  Gase declined penalty to keep them where they were, so the officials re-started the clock and Pats* lined up to punt again.  This time they let it run all the way down and had someone jump off sides at last second. Declined again,  1min 22 sec wasted. 

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

It worked because the Pats were up 33-0 so the Jets just wanted to get the game over with, in a close game they'd have accepted.

Not necessarily- teams decline that penalty all of the time so they do not give the kicker the extra room.

If it had been a close game - this would be a huge issue, but it becomes a teaching point because it was a blow-out.

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

Not necessarily- teams decline that penalty all of the time so they do not give the kicker the extra room.

If it had been a close game - this would be a huge issue, but it becomes a teaching point because it was a blow-out.

That's my point, if the game were close, they'd have accepted the penalty and the clock stops.  Gase may have thanked Bill for running the extra time off last night.