Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John from Riverside

Some next day observations from my DVR

Recommended Posts

- I really wish they would stop getting cute with these Josh Allen designed runs.....we do have guys that can run the ball.  Josh will get plenty of times to run when nothing is open.

 

- McKenzie in the end zone....this is why I dont feel our WR core is yet complete....McKenie is not the guy you want running that route...yes the pass was a bit high....a WR that will climb the ladder with some size that can play MAKES that catch....McKenzie didnt even attempt to get off the ground....McKenzie should be used for things like jet sweeps and backing up on returns.

 

Oliver sighting early...that man is fast

 

We need a better reserve linebacker

 

Poyer is a stud

 

Gore needs to be brought back

 

WHy are ppl saying Josh was not making plays in the first half (but then I see him overthrow Knox)

 

Holding penalties still hurting us

 

Fitz is good early

 

RUN....THE...BALL.....both Gore and Devin owning it on the ground

 

1st quarter Allen is moving the ball right down the field on passes....especially to Brown

 

Come on Knox....gotta catch those...makes the highlight catch and drops the easy one.  ...that is a TD there two

 

I hear boos on a Allen sack....I am wondering if those ppl would have been more upset with a Allen interception?  That is how those usually happen.

 

I dont care what anyone says....Edmunds is a stud.  He got blocked out of some plays today...he also makes it really hard to drop passes into buckets over the middle....and nice job on a snuffing out a screen here

 

Come on Bease.....hang onto the ball  Josh is actually been pretty accurate this half

 

Too...many....penalties

 

Not understanding the boos on 3rd and 19 with a run play......how many plays are there for 3rd and 19?   That is HOW THE BALL GETS PICKED

 

2nd half

 

TE for Miami making Dawson Knox type catches

 

Obvious push off by Devante Parker

 

Fitz gets drilled on a sack....promptly throws the int to White on the next play

 

(meanwhile...it seems like Miami held onto the ball forever on that drive)

 

Then Josh Allen and company go to work....perfect drive from Allen and resulting in a TD to Brown on a lazer

 

Josh converts the two then throws me the football in California (can I have it autographed Josh?)

 

Bills get the ball back....Brown is a stud

 

I really hope these deep shots by Josh start connecting.....guys ARE open

 

Turnovers are nice

 

McKenzie doing what he does well.....lets keep him doing that role

 

2nd TD by Josh Allen...playing well in the 2nd half....but honestly....he didnt play that badly in the 1st half

 

Up by 10 with 6 minutes left to go

 

Miami's TE is pretty good

 

Not happy with the play calling here.....Miami is totally playing run trying to get the ball back....Buffalo obliges and has to punt

 

Kinda cheap holding call on Edmunds.....happens on every play

 

Fitz with the great play on 4th and 7  I do like that they are sending Medmunds on MLB Blitzes

 

Fitz showing the good Fitz

 

Fitz should have never scored that last TD......Hughes come on man you gotta have that

 

Hyde ices it

 

Bills 5 and 1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-

  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I really wish they would stop getting cute with these Josh Allen designed runs.....we do have guys that can run the ball.  Josh will get plenty of times to run when nothing is open.

This, I mean come on Allen's best runs are all off of scrambles/taking off when he doesn't see anything/sees an opening. Sure Allen's a big strong guy with some speed and he'll get you yards on those but I'd rather they use him as a QB.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

This, I mean come on Allen's best runs are all off of scrambles/taking off when he doesn't see anything/sees an opening. Sure Allen's a big strong guy with some speed and he'll get you yards on those but I'd rather they use him as a QB.

Respectfully disagree. Josh is an instinctively good runner, with good eyes for the hole(s) and the chains. Add in crazy good moves/wheels for a stallion, and tough to bring down (want a stiff arm, Kiko?) and we have a weapon that Daboll simply has to show, at least on occasion. Opposing DCs, DLs and LBs therefore must respect the possibility. Helps open things up for the rest of our ground game... imho, of course. 

 

Josh is a brute and is  making SO much progress right now, on SO many different fronts; he’ll get better and better at avoiding those calamitous hits.

 

These designed runs will likely play a role in whatever success comes our way over the next few years, and be part of his game until very late in his (HOF?) career. 

 

Homer I am, through and through:-). 

Edited by Rhode Island Red
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Fitz should have never scored that last TD......Hughes come on man you gotta have that

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When I saw that it reminded me of the Derrick Thomas missed 8th sack that cost Chiefs the win v Seahawks. When asked about his 7 sacks, Derrick was upset about the missed one as it hurt the team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bills fans are obsessed like no other fan base in the league with size at receiver. It is an absolute obsession. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Bills fans are obsessed like no other fan base in the league with size at receiver. It is an absolute obsession. 

 

Nothing wrong with being a size queen.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I missed the game, watched the play by play on ESPN Gamecast, seemed like in the 1st half, Bills were moving the ball, but penalties and sounds like a couple of drops stopped all their drives and turned them into field goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

WHy are ppl saying Josh was not making plays in the first half (but then I see him overthrow Knox)

 

because  ..... ummm  ...  I got nothing.   

 

50 plus yards in penalties killed those drives.  

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Bills fans are obsessed like no other fan base in the league with size at receiver. It is an absolute obsession. 

 

Bigger, stronger, faster doomed Zay right?   :bag::lol: 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No problems with the designed runs. Extra blocker and if I’m not mistaken they usually do pretty well. 
 

He popped one for 10 Sunday and a hold brought it back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

 

Bigger, stronger, faster doomed Zay right?   :bag::lol: 

 

I've never accused Zay of lacking size...... I seen him nekkid  😈

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John -

 

These running comments are fun.  You saw pretty much what I saw.   

 

Allen is recovering nicely from the New England debacle.  He's still just a second year guy, but he's learning.   And as many people have commented, he's a great competitor.   Fighting all the time.   Leads the league in come from behind wins and fourth quarter wins.  

 

I really think that the first half problems were game planning problems, not Allen.  

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

John -

 

These running comments are fun.  You saw pretty much what I saw.   

 

Allen is recovering nicely from the New England debacle.  He's still just a second year guy, but he's learning.   And as many people have commented, he's a great competitor.   Fighting all the time.   Leads the league in come from behind wins and fourth quarter wins.  

 

I really think that the first half problems were game planning problems, not Allen.  


It seems as though most want him to be like Mahomes at this stage while not paying attention to reality: he is from a small college program and a JC before that and a small HS before that. 
 

He has never had a QB coach until this year and is on the biggest stage in the world. 
 

Personally, I love what he’s doing and his progression. For the rest of the year, be mindful with the ball and then look for the next big boost during the offseason. 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

McKenzie in the end zone....this is why I dont feel our WR core is yet complete....McKenie is not the guy you want running that route...yes the pass was a bit high....a WR that will climb the ladder with some size that can play MAKES that catch....McKenzie didnt even attempt to get off the ground....McKenzie should be used for things like jet sweeps and backing up on returns

I actually do not blame McKenzie on this play. Allen is rolling out to his right, not really under pressure, and McKenzie comes out of the backfield and is wide open all the way to the endzone. It is a well designed play and you can see McKenzie looking back at Allen from around the 18 yard line on in. I have no idea why Allen was waiting to pull the trigger. If he hits Mckenzie in that range, McKenzie walks into the endzone.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I actually do not blame McKenzie on this play. Allen is rolling out to his right, not really under pressure, and McKenzie comes out of the backfield and is wide open all the way to the endzone. It is a well designed play and you can see McKenzie looking back at Allen from around the 18 yard line on in. I have no idea why Allen was waiting to pull the trigger. If he hits Mckenzie in that range, McKenzie walks into the endzone.

 

 

 

You are correct.  That pass is thrown about 1/2 second too late.  This is a key step that Allen needs to make in his maturity as a QB.  He still doesn't have or trust his instincts to throw receivers open.  This was the third play in that opening drive where Allen was looking in the right direction, but didn't pull the trigger to an eventually wide open WR.

 

Hopefully those are throws he learns to make, which is why his big toss to Duke later in the game was so important.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

 

 

I really hope these deep shots by Josh start connecting.....guys ARE open

 

 

I had a thought regarding this.

 

Last year he was hitting on a few more than this year (none). I know that his footwork was worked on and cleaned up a bit prior to this season, which has been evident for the most part so far this year. However, could it be that this improved footwork has changed the way his deep ball is traveling? Maybe what is now proper mechanics is causing his ball to travel differently (further) than it did last year? Food for thought...

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good stuff, John, I agree with many of the points. Especially: I thought Josh played pretty well the whole game, including the first half.

 

To me, this game was about two things: bad penalties, and the defense being unable to get off the field.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MTLBills said:

 

I had a thought regarding this.

 

Last year he was hitting on a few more than this year (none). I know that his footwork was worked on and cleaned up a bit prior to this season, which has been evident for the most part so far this year. However, could it be that this improved footwork has changed the way his deep ball is traveling? Maybe what is now proper mechanics is causing his ball to travel differently (further) than it did last year? Food for thought...

That's an excellent point. Never heard it said before. It could very well be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Bills fans are obsessed like no other fan base in the league with size at receiver. It is an absolute obsession. 

 

7 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

 

Nothing wrong with being a size queen.

 

This whole thing really seemed to gain momentum with all of Buddy Nix's talk about wanting to acquire a guy who is "open even when he's not open." Perhaps Chan having coached Calvin Johnson in college also made this a larger focus. But the fact remains not every team can have a BIG JOHNSON type receiver. 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

 

 

This whole thing really seemed to gain momentum with all of Buddy Nix's talk about wanting to acquire a guy who is "open even when he's not open." Perhaps Chan having coached Calvin Johnson in college also made this a larger focus. But the fact remains not every team can have a BIG JOHNSON type receiver. 

At this point I think most fans would settle for a motion of the ocean WR if it results in celebrations. 

Edited by Buffalo Junction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I actually do not blame McKenzie on this play. Allen is rolling out to his right, not really under pressure, and McKenzie comes out of the backfield and is wide open all the way to the endzone. It is a well designed play and you can see McKenzie looking back at Allen from around the 18 yard line on in. I have no idea why Allen was waiting to pull the trigger. If he hits Mckenzie in that range, McKenzie walks into the endzone.

 

 

I agree. It looks to me like Allen is gun shy about his INTs from earlier this season. An overthrow is unlikely to be intercepted vs that coverage so he’s being extra cautious. He needs to get those out of his thought process and just drop it in there. Most of his deep attempts this year were overthrown by a significant distance. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Buffalo Junction said:

At this point I think most fans would settle for a motion of the ocean WR if it results in celebrations. 

 

Most fans probably thought Beasley to be the answer here... a smaller, shiftier guy with crisp route running and movement in the slot. But, one has to start wondering about his ability to rise to the occasion in big moments. He's seemingly dropped the ball a few times at crucial points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

 

Most fans probably thought Beasley to be the answer here... a smaller, shiftier guy with crisp route running and movement in the slot. But, one has to start wondering about his ability to rise to the occasion in big moments. He's seemingly dropped the ball a few times at crucial points. 

Lacking in rhythm.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballage crossed the EZ dragging Poyer on his ankle.

 

On Parker's TD catch. Poyer had a clear angle on him as he was coming FROM the EZ to tackle Ballard short.  Poyer bounced off him. Score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...