Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Mariota officially benched in Tennessee

Recommended Posts

So is this going to be like a competition to see who gets to stay to be the mentor/backup to whoever they bring in.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MJS said:

 

Not a problem, but never a solution either.

 

tieing threads together, but the Duke Williams quote in Wawrow's article seems a propos:

" "You can never take anything for granted because as soon as you do, that's how fast it can be taken away," Williams said. "It was all fun and games last week, but it's a business now, you know."

 

Tannehill, to me, falls into the class of "capable NFL QB" - guys who can play well enough to win if they've got a team around him, but who are never ever ever going to be mistaken for Russ Wilson, Drew Brees or Tom Brady.  But then - how many drafted QB ever do get mistaken for Wilson, Rodgers, Brees, or Brady?

 

Mariota was drafted with a lot of fanfare.  I'm not persuaded he ever has had a quality OC or QB coach - Jason Michael?  - but his play has fallen off for the last two seasons under Matt LeFleur and now Arthur Smith, so the writing's been on the wall.  See Duke quote above.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

So is this going to be like a competition to see who gets to stay to be the mentor/backup to whoever they bring in.

 

I don't know what they think they're doing, actually.

 

This is Vrabel's 2nd season.  He took over a 2x 9-7 team that had just lost the division round, and he was supposed to improve the team and take them to the next level.

They were 9-7 last year, which was fine for "first year with a new coach, learning my system"

 

Now they're 2-4 and 3rd in the AFC South and that's not gonna be regarded as good enough.  Certainly, "the guy you told me was Franchise, he's no good, I had to bench him and play the backup" makes a good excuse.

 

But whether they believe, with Tannehill, they can ride a strong defense to success and win while they look for a new guy, or whether they think he's good enough to ride with for a while, I don't know.  I guess we'll find out.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

 

well that should fix everything 

 

 

This. Tannehill's worse, and a lot of the problem with Mariota is really a problem with the OL and the surrounding talent.

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tannehill might actually throw downfield only to inevitably get broken  That said Vrabel's probably grasping to keep his job

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No brainer.

 

Mariota is absolutely terrible.

 

Tannehill is a low end starter or high end backup. 

 

Tennessee should be better off in the short term. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Sunday. He sounds like he’s over the whole Vrabel thing.  Not sure the team is into the switch. 

 

 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Mariota had a shot at being pretty good. He was never in the right offense for his game. When these QBs are special BECAUSE of their legs, you have to let them use their legs. Do not ask these guys to be something they are not. You wouldn’t ask Peyton Manning to roll out and buy time with his feet. Why do you want to ask Mike Vick to play from the pocket? True, you have a better shot at being hurt. Fine. Then just take it year by year. If you have a qb that can move, let him move. Mariota could be effective, if he was in an offense like Cam Newton or Lamar Jackson . If you want to make Mariota a drop back passer, you are taking away what made him special in the first place and you might as well not bother having him on your team. Let these guys play their A game and build the offense around that.

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This. Tannehill's worse, and a lot of the problem with Mariota is really a problem with the OL and the surrounding talent.

 

Yes, and also possibly what they're trying to do on offense. 

Sometimes your tight ends coach is ready to be promoted to OC

And sometimes he's not - see Boras, Rob 2015/2016 Rams

 

When you've got a guy who for several years threw a steady 62% completions, 220-ish ypg - now he can't complete passes or throw downfield - maybe the problem is not the guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think Mariota had a shot at being pretty good. He was never in the right offense for his game. When these QBs are special BECAUSE of their legs, you have to let them use their legs. Do not ask these guys to be something they are not. You wouldn’t ask Peyton Manning to roll out and buy time with his feet. Why do you want to ask Mike Vick to play from the pocket? True, you have a better shot at being hurt. Fine. Then just take it year by year. If you have a qb that can move, let him move. Mariota could be effective, if he was in an offense like Cam Newton or Lamar Jackson . If you want to make Mariota a drop back passer, you are taking away what made him special in the first place and you might as well not bother having him on your team. Let these guys play their A game and build the offense around that.

 

I think his body could not stand up taking the hits so they tried to curb the running  He never truly ran a lot in the NFL  Third year in a row his passing declined   Last week really was pathetic. Vrabel would lose the team completely if he didnt at least try out Tannehill.  60 yards passing in a game? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

 

I think his body could not stand up taking the hits so they tried to curb the running  He never truly ran a lot in the NFL  Third year in a row his passing declined   Last week really was pathetic. Vrabel would lose the team completely if he didnt at least try out Tannehill.  60 yards passing in a game? 

 

I'm not so sure Vrabel isn't going to lose the team completely with trying out Tannehill.

 

I don't know a thing about this guy Arthur Smith except his biography on Wiki.  Maybe he's the next Great Offensive Mind for the NFL. 

Or maybe he's just not ready to be an OC.  Maybe the Titans just don't have a lot of hosses at OL and offensive skill positions.

 

I do know that I've seen what happens with the Rams when an assistant gets promoted over his head to become an OC when he really doesn't have a clue, and it's not pretty.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Like Mariota isn’t the answer but Tannehill should never be the solution. Dude gets you no where.  He was like Brady to the Bills, only the exact opposite. 

But he plays well in Miami against the Pats, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mariota will absolutely shine in the right system... a mediocre team who trades for him will make the jump right away:

 

Dolphins: get Mariota and give the Titans Rosen - at least he could be a good vet to buy next years rookie QB time - Hawaii connection with Tua? Same high school too

 

Steelers: good Big Ben insurance should he not return to form

 

Bengals: start the revamp with Mariota?

 

Cowboys: put Dak on the hot seat

 

Chargers: heir to Rivers

 

Texans: Watson insurance for the playoff run

 

Chiefs: Mahomes insurance for the playoff run

  • Meh 1
  • Skeptical 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

I don't know what they think they're doing, actually.

 

This is Vrabel's 2nd season.  He took over a 2x 9-7 team that had just lost the division round, and he was supposed to improve the team and take them to the next level.

They were 9-7 last year, which was fine for "first year with a new coach, learning my system"

 

Now they're 2-4 and 3rd in the AFC South and that's not gonna be regarded as good enough.  Certainly, "the guy you told me was Franchise, he's no good, I had to bench him and play the backup" makes a good excuse.

 

But whether they believe, with Tannehill, they can ride a strong defense to success and win while they look for a new guy, or whether they think he's good enough to ride with for a while, I don't know.  I guess we'll find out.

 

That's kinda what I was thinking, it gives Vrabel an out at the end of the year saying that he was saddled with Mariota and he can say "If i can draft my guy I can turn this around" it might be job preservation rather than thinking of who puts your team in a better position to win this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

 

Did it twice that year.  Threw for over 300 yds per game twice that year too.

 

 

I could be completely alone in this, but I don't think Tannehill was the problem in Miami.

Unfortunately sir I have to disagree, they road with him too long and tried to make him be like Marino and it backfired on them. I thought for a second that he was onto something during Gase’s first year as HC but then he came crashing back to earth. He’s a back up, a very solid back up but nonetheless a back up. True though he wasn’t the only problem in Miami but he was definitely one of them.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

From Sunday. He sounds like he’s over the whole Vrabel thing.  Not sure the team is into the switch. 

 

 

You can tell he’s pissed off 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mariota could easily work with a coordinator & coach that know his strengths.

He hasn't had much consistency and has been forced to work a system not fit to his abilities. 

Don't think he's a top QB or anything, but he could be a Nick Foles/Jared Goff kind of QB who does well within the right system (no, I'm not saying his game is like those 2 QB's though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

 

 

This. Tannehill's worse, and a lot of the problem with Mariota is really a problem with the OL and the surrounding talent.

 

Yep. Tannehill is worse than almost any alternative. If I was a Tennessee fan I'd be in burn my season ticket mode. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...