Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Mariota officially benched in Tennessee

Tannehill might actually throw downfield only to inevitably get broken  That said Vrabel's probably grasping to keep his job

• Thanks! (+1) 1

No brainer.

Mariota is absolutely terrible.

Tannehill is a low end starter or high end backup. 

Tennessee should be better off in the short term. 

From Sunday. He sounds like he’s over the whole Vrabel thing.  Not sure the team is into the switch. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think Mariota had a shot at being pretty good. He was never in the right offense for his game. When these QBs are special BECAUSE of their legs, you have to let them use their legs. Do not ask these guys to be something they are not. You wouldn’t ask Peyton Manning to roll out and buy time with his feet. Why do you want to ask Mike Vick to play from the pocket? True, you have a better shot at being hurt. Fine. Then just take it year by year. If you have a qb that can move, let him move. Mariota could be effective, if he was in an offense like Cam Newton or Lamar Jackson . If you want to make Mariota a drop back passer, you are taking away what made him special in the first place and you might as well not bother having him on your team. Let these guys play their A game and build the offense around that.

• Thanks! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

This. Tannehill's worse, and a lot of the problem with Mariota is really a problem with the OL and the surrounding talent.

Yes, and also possibly what they're trying to do on offense. 

Sometimes your tight ends coach is ready to be promoted to OC

And sometimes he's not - see Boras, Rob 2015/2016 Rams

When you've got a guy who for several years threw a steady 62% completions, 220-ish ypg - now he can't complete passes or throw downfield - maybe the problem is not the guy.

3 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think Mariota had a shot at being pretty good. He was never in the right offense for his game. When these QBs are special BECAUSE of their legs, you have to let them use their legs. Do not ask these guys to be something they are not. You wouldn’t ask Peyton Manning to roll out and buy time with his feet. Why do you want to ask Mike Vick to play from the pocket? True, you have a better shot at being hurt. Fine. Then just take it year by year. If you have a qb that can move, let him move. Mariota could be effective, if he was in an offense like Cam Newton or Lamar Jackson . If you want to make Mariota a drop back passer, you are taking away what made him special in the first place and you might as well not bother having him on your team. Let these guys play their A game and build the offense around that.

I think his body could not stand up taking the hits so they tried to curb the running  He never truly ran a lot in the NFL  Third year in a row his passing declined   Last week really was pathetic. Vrabel would lose the team completely if he didnt at least try out Tannehill.  60 yards passing in a game? 

14 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I think his body could not stand up taking the hits so they tried to curb the running  He never truly ran a lot in the NFL  Third year in a row his passing declined   Last week really was pathetic. Vrabel would lose the team completely if he didnt at least try out Tannehill.  60 yards passing in a game? 

I'm not so sure Vrabel isn't going to lose the team completely with trying out Tannehill.

I don't know a thing about this guy Arthur Smith except his biography on Wiki.  Maybe he's the next Great Offensive Mind for the NFL. 

Or maybe he's just not ready to be an OC.  Maybe the Titans just don't have a lot of hosses at OL and offensive skill positions.

I do know that I've seen what happens with the Rams when an assistant gets promoted over his head to become an OC when he really doesn't have a clue, and it's not pretty.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Like Mariota isn’t the answer but Tannehill should never be the solution. Dude gets you no where.  He was like Brady to the Bills, only the exact opposite. 

But he plays well in Miami against the Pats, lol.

Mariota will absolutely shine in the right system... a mediocre team who trades for him will make the jump right away:

Dolphins: get Mariota and give the Titans Rosen - at least he could be a good vet to buy next years rookie QB time - Hawaii connection with Tua? Same high school too

Steelers: good Big Ben insurance should he not return to form

Bengals: start the revamp with Mariota?

Cowboys: put Dak on the hot seat

Chargers: heir to Rivers

Texans: Watson insurance for the playoff run

Chiefs: Mahomes insurance for the playoff run

• Meh 1
  • Skeptical 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't know what they think they're doing, actually.

This is Vrabel's 2nd season.  He took over a 2x 9-7 team that had just lost the division round, and he was supposed to improve the team and take them to the next level.

They were 9-7 last year, which was fine for "first year with a new coach, learning my system"

Now they're 2-4 and 3rd in the AFC South and that's not gonna be regarded as good enough.  Certainly, "the guy you told me was Franchise, he's no good, I had to bench him and play the backup" makes a good excuse.

But whether they believe, with Tannehill, they can ride a strong defense to success and win while they look for a new guy, or whether they think he's good enough to ride with for a while, I don't know.  I guess we'll find out.

That's kinda what I was thinking, it gives Vrabel an out at the end of the year saying that he was saddled with Mariota and he can say "If i can draft my guy I can turn this around" it might be job preservation rather than thinking of who puts your team in a better position to win this year.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did it twice that year.  Threw for over 300 yds per game twice that year too.

I could be completely alone in this, but I don't think Tannehill was the problem in Miami.

Unfortunately sir I have to disagree, they road with him too long and tried to make him be like Marino and it backfired on them. I thought for a second that he was onto something during Gase’s first year as HC but then he came crashing back to earth. He’s a back up, a very solid back up but nonetheless a back up. True though he wasn’t the only problem in Miami but he was definitely one of them.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

From Sunday. He sounds like he’s over the whole Vrabel thing.  Not sure the team is into the switch. 

You can tell he’s pissed off 

Mariota could easily work with a coordinator & coach that know his strengths.

He hasn't had much consistency and has been forced to work a system not fit to his abilities. 

Don't think he's a top QB or anything, but he could be a Nick Foles/Jared Goff kind of QB who does well within the right system (no, I'm not saying his game is like those 2 QB's though).

4 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This. Tannehill's worse, and a lot of the problem with Mariota is really a problem with the OL and the surrounding talent.

Yep. Tannehill is worse than almost any alternative. If I was a Tennessee fan I'd be in burn my season ticket mode. 

4 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Dolphins: get Mariota and give the Titans Rosen...

Every time I see the name ‘Rosen’ mentioned, the theme from ‘The Littlest Hobo’ starts playing in my brain.

I said it in one of the other threads after watching the Tenn/Jax game that I didn’t think Vrabel trusted Mariota. Look for Tenn to be another player for a QB early. Good for the Bills. More teams reach in the first for a QB means a possible impact player at another position drops. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Man ... just look at these QBs since McNair left.   Almost as bad as the Bills post-Kelly!!!

2006 Vince Young (13) / Kerry Collins (3)
2007 Vince Young (15) / Kerry Collins (1)
2008 Kerry Collins (15) / Vince Young (1)
2009 Vince Young (10) / Kerry Collins (6)
2010 Vince Young (8) / Kerry Collins (7) / Rusty Smith (1)
2011 Matt Hasselbeck (16)
2012 Jake Locker (11) / Matt Hasselbeck (5)
2013 Ryan Fitzpatrick (9) / Jake Locker (7)
2014 Zach Mettenberger (6) / Jake Locker (5) / Charlie Whitehurst (5)
2015 Marcus Mariota (12) / Zach Mettenberger (4)
2016 Marcus Mariota (15) / Matt Cassel (1)

Marcus Mariota (13) / Blaine Gabbert (3)

2019 - Mariota/Tannehill

8 hours ago, klos63 said:

Tannehill will at least try to get the ball downfield.

Don't be so sure about that.  I watched a bit of the 2nd half of the TEN/DEN game and Tannehill was his old, tentative, hold-on-to-the-ball-too-long self.  It was ugly to watch.

Tennessee basically has the same QB twice on their roster.  They're done.

Turns out the Bucs couldn't have gotten it right either way. Both QB's are looking like busts right now. I think Jameis will keep playing as a backup, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mariota walks away from the game after this year. 

9 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

As he should be, this is year five. Enough of us want to see the light go off as soon as year too. Let alone year three.

Not sure of your point. Did the Titans. Wnwfit by giving Marietta a full five years?

Give it a couple of games. 

Tannehill may play better but he won't be lighting up the field in passing if that's what the HC wants.   

7 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Not sure of your point. Did the Titans. Wnwfit by giving Marietta a full five years?

Pretty clear, if by year five you dont get it...

Most teams are expecting to see the QB take big strides by year two, if not, at least by year three.

Mariota is now on year five, that's plenty enough of a leash to see what a guy brings to the table.