Duke signed to active roster

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Unfortunately, with the ridiculously wide field and goofy deep end zones in the CFL, precision route running isn’t a required skill.

But sideline or end zone contested catches are desired everywhere.

....know he got bounced from college "81", but any insight on how his collegiate career was progressing before the bounce out happened (normal field)?.............

19 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Unfortunately, with the ridiculously wide field and goofy deep end zones in the CFL, precision route running isn’t a required skill.

But sideline or end zone contested catches are desired everywhere.

Right. He can make catches in traffic, catches with little separation, and contested catches. From what I have see out of the receiver group over the last two weeks, having someone making those catches with little separation or making contested catches might be helpful to Allen.

21 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....know he got bounced from college "81", but any insight on how his collegiate career was progressing before the bounce out happened (normal field)?.............

Year     School     Conf    Class    Pos    G    Rec    Yds    Avg    TD    
2014    Auburn    SEC      JR        WR     10    45    730    16.2     5    
2015    Auburn    SEC      SR        WR     5      12    147    12.3     1

Carreer                                                               57    877    15.4    6 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Who cares about ranting or evidence to support it ? There has been a deficiency at WR, and there still is after the newly added wideouts. The coaches made a move to see if they could get an increase in production at the position. It will be good if they are able to find it by trying a different player. Otherwise the only chance for improvement is the trade market, and the deadline looms a few weeks out. 

I don't know what exactly you are objecting to in my post. Yes, they made a move in hopes of finding out whether Duke can improve wide receiver play. And in doing so we the fans will find out whether he is as good as so many here have been claiming. It's all good. 

I would like to see some plays designed that gets Duke in the action today. I would also like to see how he does in the run game.

2 hours ago, foreboding said:

Zay has skills, can block and run good routes. But god he drops so many passes an NFL receiver ought to make. I think those plays, Sean mentioned where he needed to become DB for the teams sake really hurt his chances here.

Can Duke get any separation? This is my biggest question.

I agree with your assessment. I would like to add Zay doesn’t break tackles or get YAC.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Dr. K said:

It'll be good to get some real evidence to support the ranting people have been doing on either side of this issue on the board. 

The fact that he was promoted to the active roster in the first place is a real piece of evidence in and of itself considering the perspectives of some posters on him.

2 hours ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

Early prediction: Duke Williams 7 catches for over 90 yards & a TD and on his way to being our #1 WR.  Josh passes for over 300 yards today with some great RAC.  We go into the Bye 4-1.

Let’s Go Buffalo!!!!!

You're expecting this after Duke averaged 8.9 yards a catch in preseason against mostly guys that couldn't make NFL rosters? If he only averaged 8.9 yards a catch against nobodies, what is he going to average against 1st team CBs? 

13 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

My prediction is that one of three things happens with Duke:

1. He takes snaps away from Foster, not Zay Jones

2. He gets less than 15 plays total (less than 20% of snaps)

3. He is inactive tomorrow

As a result the posters here at TBD have a collective nuclear meltdown. 

Foster is hurt and inactive, so that’s not really a ground breaking prediction.  

My prediction is that your other predictions are wrong.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Hopefully his time on the practice squad has helped him run more precise routes and get open more consistently.

I believe he has massive potential, hopefully it starts today.

He ran precise routes and got open in preseason too.  

7 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

You're expecting this after Duke averaged 8.9 yards a catch in preseason against mostly guys that couldn't make NFL rosters? If he only averaged 8.9 yards a catch against nobodies, what is he going to average against 1st team CBs? 

Thats not really a fair assessment.  They basically used him in short yardage situations on only a handful of targets in preseason.  They’ve been showing him running way more mid range and downfield routes in practice since too.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He ran precise routes and got open in preseason too.  

Thats not really a fair assessment.  They basically used him in short yardage situations on only a handful of targets in preseason.  They’ve been showing him running way more mid range and downfield routes in practice since too.  

Fair enough, since preseason got over I haven't been following him much. As I did mention in our epic battle over this, now that he's been called up, I will be rooting for him just as hard and as much as everyone else is. I just don't see it translating outside the redzone. But with our offense moving the ball really well and not scoring, that would be big boost.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Dr. K said:

I don't know what exactly you are objecting to in my post. Yes, they made a move in hopes of finding out whether Duke can improve wide receiver play. And in doing so we the fans will find out whether he is as good as so many here have been claiming. It's all good. 

Your focus seems to be on the unimportant : ie a certain segment of fans being right or wrong about “ their guy”. That stuff is nonsensical banter. Bills fans want the best players on the field to win games. This is about improving the offensive production, and that’s the only reason the coaches made this roster move. It sounds as though you might see this as a one game be all end all audition/ referendum on Duke Williams. If so, it’s misguided. It’s really just the coaches trying to win games. 

4 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

Fair enough, since preseason got over I haven't been following him much. As I did mention in our epic battle over this, now that he's been called up, I will be rooting for him just as hard and as much as everyone else is. I just don't see it translating outside the redzone. But with our offense moving the ball really well and not scoring, that would be big boost.

All good, and nothing wrong with not being sold on an unproven player.  

Sounds like weather isn't going to be good and raining, so he could be just what they need today and could be a lot of short passing to a big guy with sure hands.  So wouldn’t surprise me if he has a low ypc average today either, but all that matters is he helps move chains and is of value in short yardage and Redzone packages as we need someone to help Josh out in those areas.  

I also think Yeldon could see some extra work as a receiving option today too, and should.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Your focus seems to be on the unimportant : ie a certain segment of fans being right or wrong about “ their guy”. That stuff is nonsensical banter. Bills fans want the best players on the field to win games. This is about improving the offensive production, and that’s the only reason the coaches made this roster move. It sounds as though you might see this as a one game be all end all audition/ referendum on Duke Williams. If so, it’s misguided. It’s really just the coaches trying to win games. 

Thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea the Bills' coaches were interested in winning games. I thought they did everything in response to message board posts. 

Edited by Dr. K