Josh Allen 2019 Regular Season at 58.8% Completion Percentage

7 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

People have unrealistic expectations.  This year is about Josh learning to protect the football and play situational football.  Dont throw dumb picks on 1st and 2nd down.  Learn to take a sack or throw the ball away if need be.  Next year they go out and get a true physical #1 wr to open up John Brown more and slide all the wrs down one peg where they should be. Oh and along the way we have 6 wins and a great shot at playoffs.  I'd consider 2019 a massive success so far.  With the schedule they have there will be some games where he will have to put it up 40 times and we can revisit if he has gotten better with the offense on his back.

And next year a much tougher schedule, which means this year is the year to see what he can do at least against some of the worst teams in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Watch Mason Rudolph. The Steelers basically have dumbed down that offense to a half field read offense. Allen has a lot on his plate. They ask him to be a franchise QB. It's all part of development IMO. The hope is the game slows down and he makes quicker reads. I have no issues with the offensive coaching. They are allowing Allen to develop.

Mason Rudolph was not the 7th pick & was the third string QB (in only because of injuries).  They had no choice but to dumb it down.

What a ridiculous comparison.

Edited by Billsfan1972

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Not disagreeing, however over & over we see every other "okay" QB in the NFL able to put up 300 yards (yes a # recognized in all metrics) fairly early in their careers & Allen only has a few around 250......

This is all on Daboll & McD......  

For all those preaching the Process & a 4-5 year plan, then the 7th pick and his viability is of paramount importance.

Need to see what the Bills have at QB or back to the drawing board.

Please tell me who you consider "every other Okay QB in the NFL"

I do agree that we need to see what the Bills have at QB, but I think part of what you're seeing is one strategy to determine that.

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I see a guy who is 9-5 in his last 14 starts and hasn't thrown an interception in three games.  I also see a guy who is 3-0 on the road this season and has led multiple 4th quarter comebacks.  I see an ultra competitive player who wants to win above anything else (like, for example, whether he throws for 300 yards or not).

What do you see?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And next year a much tougher schedule, which means this year is the year to see what he can do at least against some of the worst teams in the NFL.

Mason Rudolph was not the 7th pick & was the third string QB (in only because of injuries).  They had no choice but to dumb it down.

What does draft position have to do with anything? 

6 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And next year a much tougher schedule

Mason was talked about pre-draft by some pundits as a potential 1st round pick.  He was rated by NFL Draft Profile (Lance Ziegler, who usually has good points) as 5.66, "chance to become an NFL starter" which is the same rating as Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson (with slightly higher numerical grade at 5.9 and 5.91 respectively)

Mason was the #2 on the Pittsburgh depth chart going into this season.  I think you're confusing him with "Duck", the #3 who also got a start when Mason went down.

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Not disagreeing, however over & over we see every other "okay" QB in the NFL able to put up 300 yards (yes a # recognized in all metrics) fairly early in their careers & Allen only has a few around 250......

This is all on Daboll & McD......  

For all those preaching the Process & a 4-5 year plan, then the 7th pick and his viability is of paramount importance.

A 300 yard game is completely arbitrary. Do you think there is a single QB in the NFL that cares if they three for 300 yards if they lost the game? It's not a metric worth following. How many 300 yard games does Stafford have? His team has been mediocre or bad for almost his entire career. He throws for 300 yards because he is playing catch up and has to keep slinging it to get back into games.

What did we see from Drew Brees once the Saints got good again? His passing stats actually took a dip. They ran the ball more. He didn't have to throw for 5000 yards a season to be competitive.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mason was talked about pre-draft by some pundits as a potential 1st round pick.  He was rated by NFL Draft Profile (Lance Ziegler, who usually has good points) as 5.66, "chance to become an NFL starter" which is the same rating as Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson (with slightly higher numerical grade at 5.9 and 5.91 respectively)

Guys like Matt Barkley and Christian Hackenburg were also talked about going high in the 1st round, with some projecting 1st overall. If pre-draft hype meant anything then guys like Ryan Nassib would have been a 1st round pick as well.

Edited by Bangarang

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Please tell me who you consider "every other Okay QB in the NFL"

I do agree that we need to see what the Bills have at QB, but I think part of what you're seeing is one strategy to determine that.

41 games without a 300 yard game and no big deal for every NFL QB.

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/300-yard-passing.html

Actually show me a starting QB who is a starter who hasn't thrown for 300 in their second season?

Again Daboll & McD are the smartest people in the room?

10 minutes ago, eball said:

I see a guy who is 9-5 in his last 14 starts and hasn't thrown an interception in three games.  I also see a guy who is 3-0 on the road this season and has led multiple 4th quarter comebacks.  I see an ultra competitive player who wants to win above anything else (like, for example, whether he throws for 300 yards or not).

What do you see?

All he ever sees is complete failure because Allen is not throwing for 300 yards a game. Period. That is his one and only barometer for success. And if you challenge it in any way, look out. He is a bottomless well of aggressive negativity.

51 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Pray tell.   Which of these have a "better" defenses? 

Buffalo's Total Defense Stats - All NFL - Total Yards ranks #3.   

Buffalo's Total Defense Stats - All NFL  - Points Per Game ranks #3.  

The following teams in bold are in the top 10 in most categories. 

REMAINING OPPONENTS: at Browns (2-6), at Dolphins (1-7), vs. Broncos (3-6), at Cowboys (5-3), vs. Ravens (6-2), at Steelers (4-4), at Patriots (8-1), vs. Jets (1-7)

The Ravens will be a tough game (NOW there is a QB you should be bitching about)

Bitchin' about for what reason?  (I know you're not talking to me)

The Ravens and Steelers also have top Ds in some categories - like PA.  Steelers #10.

The way I look at it (and I tend to look at points, because that's the bottom line)

We have 8 games left. 

3 are against opponents we already faced - Pats, Jets, Dolphins.  So if we're going to do the "predict future performance by past events" thing, that should be a wash

1 is against an opponent with similar defensive rank than we've already faced - Browns at 20 similar to Bengals at 21

That leaves 4 games against opponents ranked #4,#10,#11, and #13 where earlier in the season we had #8,#23,#26,#31.

Clearly the degree of difficulty is going to ratchet up for 3-4 of those games.  We will see if some of the learnings about not throwing stupid picks etc have truly taken hold and whether the rest of the team can rein in the dumb penalties.  But a lot depends upon factors beyond Allen's control:

-how effective a game plan Daboll can draw up to exploit the opponent

-weather

-remaining injury free at key positions where we're critically short on depth

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

All he ever sees is complete failure because Allen is not throwing for 300 yards a game. Period. That is his one and only barometer for success. And if you challenge it in any way, look out. He is a bottomless well of aggressive negativity.

I'm an Allen fan, so quit confusing the point.....  What I want is to see his full potential & ability & 20 passes & 160 yards is not going to get him there. 

What was disappointing was when down two scores vs. Philly he was not good. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually show me a starting QB who is a starter who hasn't thrown for 300 in their second season?

I'm not their biggest fan by any means but they are lightyears smarter than you inside the NFL world! 

• Haha (+1) 1

I can't even figure out what this means.  Mango did a very thorough analysis of this in another thread.  If you wish to contribute to the "how important are 300 yd games really and when?" perhaps go there?

13 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Guys like Matt Barkley and Christian Hackenburg were also talked about going high in the 1st round, with some projecting 1st overall. If pre-draft hype meant anything then guys like Ryan Nassib would have been a 1st round pick as well.

Correct, and many 1st round picks don't succeed in the NFL either, while guys picked later on do.  The point is that Mason Rudolph is not chopped liver - he was a star from a big college program and highly regarded pre-draft.  His 3rd round status is not a reason to simplify the playbook for him.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can't even figure out what this means

Mango did a very thorough analysis of this in another thread.

And I've commented there & today that every QB does it (usually within 8-10 games at worst).  The fact the Bills have gone 41 without is amazing.

This team is .500 over those games have been blown out multiple times & shown they really can't come back (save NYJ) or be competitive when the other team scores over 20 points. 

And I've commented there & today that every QB does it (usually within 8-10 games at worst).  The fact the Bills have gone 41 without is amazing.

This team is .500 over those games have been blown out multiple times & shown they really can't come back (save NYJ) or be competitive when the other team scores over 20 points. 

So let me get this straight - you're considering 41 games back, games that we played back in 2016 as somehow relevant to the discussion of Allen?  A game back in 2016?  And 17 games that we played after McDermott and Beane took over, but before Allen was drafted or started?

That's just the most bizarre point to make in evaluating a QB that I've ever heard.

I think it's Micah Hyde or Milano who has said that the D has a goal to hold the opponent to less than 17 points he assumes because it's been determined that's a general sweet spot for winning.  I think there are only a handful of teams that consistently give up the equivalent of 3 TDs and win, but I'd be happy to sit corrected.  It's kind of off the topic of Allen though, except to note that he hasn't, to date, shown himself to be one of the small handful of QB who can do so.

39 minutes ago, MJS said:

A 300 yard game is completely arbitrary. Do you think there is a single QB in the NFL that cares if they three for 300 yards if they lost the game? It's not a metric worth following. How many 300 yard games does Stafford have? His team has been mediocre or bad for almost his entire career. He throws for 300 yards because he is playing catch up and has to keep slinging it to get back into games.

What did we see from Drew Brees once the Saints got good again? His passing stats actually took a dip. They ran the ball more. He didn't have to throw for 5000 yards a season to be competitive.

All these good QBs seem to be able to throw for 300 in a loss except for Allen. Do you find that interesting?

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So let me get this straight - you're considering 41 games back, games that we played back in 2016 as somehow relevant to the discussion of Allen?  A game back in 2016?  And 17 games that we played after McDermott and Beane took over, but before Allen was drafted or started?

That's just the most bizarre point to make in evaluating a QB that I've ever heard.

I think it's Micah Hyde or Milano who has said that the D has a goal to hold the opponent to less than 17 points he assumes because it's been determined that's a general sweet spot for winning.  I think there are only a handful of teams that consistently give up the equivalent of 3 TDs and win, but I'd be happy to sit corrected.  It's kind of off the topic of Allen though, except to note that he hasn't, to date, shown himself to be one of the small handful of QB who can do so.

It’s fun how never and consistently are so easily used to make a point more defensible.

36 minutes ago, eball said:

@Billsfan1972 somebody has to ask the question:  what's more important to you, winning football games or having a 300-yard passer?

He's answered that.  He wants to be entertained, and to him entertainment is big passing days.

Me personally, I'm entertained by victories but to each his own.

6 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

All these good QBs seem to be able to throw for 300 in a loss except for Allen. Do you find that interesting?

Because they get behind and have to start throwing the ball to catch up.  As opposed to having a defense that holds a team to, say, 3 FGs?

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

He's answered that.  He wants to be entertained, and to him entertainment is big passing days.

Me personally, I'm entertained by victories but to each his own.

Because they get behind and have to start throwing the ball to catch up.  As opposed to having a defense that holds a team to, say, 3 FGs?

Yeah, we have never lost in a blowout with Allen under center. Never lost a game by say 18 points where, instead of throwing for 300 yards and attempting to keep us in it, he’s thrown 10 straight incompletions. We are undefeated with Allen, I forgot.

• Like (+1) 1