ESPN: Bills have the best defense in football

VW82

2 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Yea 3 weeks this year... So it's not the same.

He approached it exactly the way I would have but if you just want to focus on 2019: we're 6th in total yards allowed, 5th in points allowed, and 27th in offensive turnovers. His point holds up regardless of what time frame you're looking at (i.e. the defense has been really good given the terrible positions it's being put in by the offense).  

5 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Patriots will be exposed on Sunday.   National media falls all over them because it sells. 

Ive said it before and ill say it again, we are statistically on par with them offensively and better than them defensively. 

This team will be ready for them on Sunday in every way. 

Imo the Bengals are much more potent than NE on offense. 

Lmao you are too funny. Nothing you said is even accurate

5 hours ago, Reader said:

Maybe this is revisionist history on my part, but I think some of those games the Bills D was able to keep the points low most of the game only to eventually wear down due to the offense not making due on their end of the bargain. If the offense can actually put up points and sustain drives it might look different this time around.

Pats scores by quarter last season game 1: 3, 6, 3, 13.  Game 2: 7, 7, 7, 3.

That is pretty damn good against that offense.  If our O could drive the field and put up some points we have a chance if we can do that again this year.  Our O has to do it though.  The Pats are so good on offense that hardly anyone even stops to think about how good the Pats D is.  They are one of the best in the NFL too.  

Edited by Scott7975

6 hours ago, Reader said:

Maybe this is revisionist history on my part, but I think some of those games the Bills D was able to keep the points low most of the game only to eventually wear down due to the offense not making due on their end of the bargain. If the offense can actually put up points and sustain drives it might look different this time around.

I believe there was even a game with Tyrod where we had a good lead going into the halftime

The recent games all have been close until the Patriots broken open late in the game.   The only one that sucked was last year when they ran over us.

25 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Pats scores by quarter last season game 1: 3, 6, 3, 13.  Game 2: 7, 7, 7, 3.

That is pretty damn good against that offense.  If our O could drive the field and put up some points we have a chance if we can do that again this year.  Our O has to do it though.  The Pats are so good on offense that hardly anyone even stops to think about how good the Pats D is.  They are one of the best in the NFL too.  

This has to be a Frank Gore game.  We need to figure out a way to run the ball against that defense.  Allen cannot get fooled by the disguises that Bellichek will make.  This can be a statement game for the Bills.

57 minutes ago, Cmdjr85 said:

Lmao you are too funny. Nothing you said is even accurate

Show me the error of my ways

"No unit has things harder than the Bills' defense, which faces a ton of drives and inherits terrible starting field position from an offense that turns over the ball too frequently. The Bills have gone up against 29 drives beginning on their own side of the field, almost always after an offensive takeaway. To contrast, the Patriots -- who rank just ahead of the Bills in points allowed per drive -- have faced 14 such drives over that time frame. The Chiefs have faced just five.

To be right up there with the likes of the Bears and Patriots is downright magical."

_20190923_214049.JPG

Edited by TwistofFate

I know ours is elite but i can't sit here and claim its better than the Bears...they make a lot more impact plays than we do...we play consistently very good and force a lot of short throws and 3 and outs but for impact plays the Bears are head and shoulders above us.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Patriots will be exposed on Sunday.   National media falls all over them because it sells. 

Ive said it before and ill say it again, we are statistically on par with them offensively and better than them defensively. 

Really? The Bengals are more potent than NE? You did preface it with IMO..... We are statistically on par with the Pats offensively? Can you show me those comparisons? I can’t seem to find them. 

6 hours ago, the skycap said:

If Josh takes what the defense gives him and don't play hero ball, we'll win this game. 

I just want to see Josh recognize what the defense is giving him. That's what this year is for, his development. Reading the play and making more and more correct decisions as he gains experience. The freak athletic plays are great, the wins are great, the playoffs hopes are great, actually making the playoffs is really great. But, even in the absolute worst case scenario and the defense goes to jello and the Bills go 0-for the rest of the season, as long as Allen is running the offense and dissecting the defense by the end, it will be a lot more predictive of long-term success than any short-term variance through this particular season.

Get the right QB. Get the system. Then get the rest of the players and start executing.

He did anoint three teams as having "the best defense in football."  Besides Buffalo, the Patriots and Packers also get that distinction.  I wonder how many other teams have the best defense in football in Barnwell's mind.

32 minutes ago, iinii said:

Really? The Bengals are more potent than NE? You did preface it with IMO..... We are statistically on par with the Pats offensively? Can you show me those comparisons? I can’t seem to find them. 

not that difficult to find.   I posted them two posts ? 

16 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

not that difficult to find.   I posted them two posts ? 

I was talking about offensive. Like points. NE 106 to 66. That is the stat that usually is a good indicator of offensive output. 

Edited by iinii

8 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

I’ll buy this. Was it over when 5K bets were being placed by board members on the Vikes to beat our Bills this exact date last year?? Instead we shocked the world and Allen provided a statement game. Go Bills!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Waiting to here from a certain few posters in this one. We all know who they are.

oh by the way the run d that they were concerned with is now top 10 after facing bell, Barkley and mixon

I've never been concerned with the run defense. I figured they'd be "fine" and Edmunds has gotten ALOT better. I remain concerned with the pass rush. Dalton had WAY too much time to throw down the stretch in obvious passing situations. Can't expect a defense to dominate entire games against NFL offenses, but I'd like to see Oliver step up a little more in the pass rush area.

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I've never been concerned with the run defense. I figured they'd be "fine" and Edmunds has gotten ALOT better. I remain concerned with the pass rush. Dalton had WAY too much time to throw down the stretch in obvious passing situations. Can't expect a defense to dominate entire games against NFL offenses, but I'd like to see Oliver step up a little more in the pass rush area.

So one of the things different podcats stressed prior to the Bengals game was about the mismatch in speed of our DBs and the Bengals receivers and the concern that we will not be able to keep up with them especially in the middle of the field.  That did turn out to be true as our Safeties were a tad late to get to the receiver and the big chunk plays were available.   I am hoping we will not have the same with the Patriots on Sunday.  

On Sunday it is all going to be about stopping the Run...That is where the Patriots crushed us last year.

• Thank you (+1) 1