Did I watch a different game? Allen under pressure all day & made play after play

Billsfan1972

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I think he had a fair amount of good and a fair amount of bad. The pick throw seemed less a reaction to the grounding play than to the awful decision he made to throw across his body while under duress to sweeney in the red zone in the first half. He got lucky and it was a catch, but that was a ball that should NEVER have been thrown. He’s a cocky player, which i like, but he’s gotta eliminate the stupid. 

One other issue: the next deep ball he completes will be his first of the season. He’s 0-4 or 0-5 on those throws this year, and he’s either missing by a fair amount or throwing into double coverage.

Great final drive, of course.

Yup. There were two IIRC that he got away with throwing against the grain that somewhat rewards bad behavior. But the INT was just a brain fart. There is no way whatsoever that he should be attempting that pass. Just inexcusable. Especially under the game circumstances. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Nobody is overlooking their weaknesses. Some of us just prefer to not look for ONLY the weknesses...

Our defensive line continues to look good at batting down passes, both safties look great as always, Hausch is money, the line is much improved and the interior are fantastic on the runs. The thread is about Allen and thats what I'm talking about. His happy feet and deep throws into coverage are weaknesses that will be exploited by better teams. This team is a huge improvement over last year. Everyone has excuses for why he is playing the same way he did in college.  

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Why are you arguing with me? You are missing my point. I'm fine with those plays. Just pointing out that they are the culprit and we will have to live with them. 

I am not arguing with you. I am merely pointing out that all QBs make these same throws every game, even the great ones. For some reason, there is a segment of this fan base - not particularly you, that seem to feel that one or two bad plays like this from Allen overshadow all the good plays he maks.

It's all good, brother

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Yup. There were two IIRC that he got away with throwing against the grain that somewhat rewards bad behavior. But the INT was just a brain fart. There is no way whatsoever that he should be attempting that pass. Just inexcusable. Especially under the game circumstances. 

Yeah there was another one too and it was a great throw to brown. But he wasn’t 15 yards behind the LOS while being dragged down on that one.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Bills haven't played the historically bad Dolphins or the Jets with their 3rd string QB. That could also be part of the difference too. Oh and maybe we aren't as good as the six time super bowl champion dynasty Patriots too which would be totally understandable in Josh Allen's second year and less than one full season starting.

Do you have a point?

Josh Allen has been mostly positive this season, combined with a bunch of frustrating mistakes.

You can see Pro-Bowl superstar potential.  You can see the clutch-gene, and the ability to completely take over when things are clicking.  He's understanding defensive coverages and seeing the field better every week.  His accuracy has improved greatly, and should no longer be a big concern.  He's making plays from the pocket first, and using his legs as a secondary weapon.  At the same time, he's often careless with the football and needs to learn when to take a sack or incompletion.  He also seems to hold the ball too long at times.

Let's not forget that Allen has only started 14 games in the NFL.  He's still got PLENTY of time to improve the weak points of his game.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

These types of posts make the board fun... Josh was Josh. A young ultra talented QB that can make things happen some good plays some bad. But ya know what they WON. Did the team play good enough to win the SB today? Nope not close...BUT ya know what.. They didn't have to play at that level today. They had to play better than the Bengals today. And they did. Sometimes life isn't about the destination. It's about the journey. The o-line wasn't great today. We still won. The team is 3-0 with a HUGE division showdown coming up against the vile, Patriots. We are young, we are talented and we are learning. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

And some prefer to not look at ONLY the strengths.  Simple as that really.

Well come on over to the glass half full side and hang out for awhile. Really. You would enjoy it, I think - so much less angst and hand wringing than over on the glass half empty side.

There was QB pressure but not much more than ordinary. He made some great plays. He made some terrible decisions and some terrible throws.

He's learning. Stay the course. Learn from mistakes.

So far I see great improvement on short to mid range throws. And serious regression on touch deep passes.  I don't know enough to say if that is footwork or what the issue is but it has to be corrected or teams will play us like they did Fitz. Just drop 6 or 7 in the short to medium zones and dare him to throw deep. So odd because the deep ball is the part of his game that seemed to be fine.

I dont see happy feet or lack of accuracy at all.  I see a young guy who is so confident of his arm and his ability to break tackles/escape sacks that at times he tries to do too much. He  might never stop doing that stuff completely.  Some bad habits showed up late in the game Locking into one receiver and throwing the deep post right into the safety are too examples.  Wasnt perfect but  he stood in and got the job done and got the W

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

When watching the play live on TV, my wife and I both said when he released the ball, "...good he's throwing it away out of bounds.  He learned from that intentional grounding call."   

Then the play continued and our jaws droped when we realized the ball was still in the field of play...

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Well come on over to the glass half full side and hang out for awhile. Really. You would enjoy it, I think - so much less angst and hand wringing than over on the glass half empty side.

When is the "we're 3-0!" parade? It sure was fun in 2008 and 2011.

• Sad 1

Just now, Lurker said:

When watching the play live on TV, my wife and I both said when he released the ball, "...good he's throwing it away out of bounds.  He learned from that intentional grounding call."   

Then the play continued and our jaws droped when we realized the ball was still in the field of play...

On the intentional grounding? Yeah, he was just trying to throw it away. The defender hit hit as he was throwing that stopped the ball from going further, which would have been just an incompletion. He could probably have thrown it further which would have negated the penalty. I just assumed he thought he'd get it away before being hit.