Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BrycePaup4ever

Is it possible for an NFL player to function on a roster if he is afraid to fly on a plane?

Recommended Posts

It took my 10 years to feel comfortable on a plane again.

 

I flew into Buffalo the same night as the plane crash back in I think 2009?

I arrived an hour before the flight that crashed was supposed to.  I had two options into Buffalo that night...I thank God I chose the right one.  That really messed with my brain for a long time.

 

 

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Back in the day, I ran a big technical shop....and, we had one guy who would not fly.  He was limited in what he could do for us....and, we added a question to our employment applications because of our experience with him  Do you have any objection to flying on business?  A yes answer would throw out the application after that, as that applicant did not meet the requirements of the job.  (We sent the one guy to Arizona one time from Buffalo, he took the Bus and it took him almost a week to get there)  So, NFL players must fly, or, imho never get a job in the NFL.

 

I can't imagine a week long bus trip from Buffalo to Arizona would be very pleasant... 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJS said:

That's Dick "Night Train" Lane. He got his nickname because he was afraid to fly and instead took trains to games.

 

EDIT: Apparently this is false. His nickname came from a song of the same name, given by a teammate.

 

always enjoyed the way he tackled, the clips starting at 26 seconds are among my all-time favourites, when they hit like men..... :D

 

 

 

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

 

I can't imagine a week long bus trip from Buffalo to Arizona would be very pleasant... 

I took a Bus from Buffalo to San Diego when I young for the experience. I would not recommend it. Long and grueling and full of characters. Who do you meet on a bus? Escaped mental patients, the indigent, the haunted!

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

I took a Bus from Buffalo to San Diego when I young for the experience. I would not recommend it. Long and grueling and full of characters. Who do you meet on a bus? Escaped mental patients, the indigent, the haunted!

 

meet all kinds of cool people

 

what decade was this?

 

 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

 

...The "Birth of the Madden Cruiser"?......

 

...check this out ...$2.489 MILLION for a "cruiser"............

http://www.featherlitecoaches.com/inventory/featherlite-vantare-prevost-3915/

 

I saw THE Maddencruiser  once. He lived in Pleasanton, CA age next town over  from where I lived.  It had the Outback (they sponsored it )  and Madden logos on it and was parked at the Outback in my town . Probably had someone drive him to the b=us ( about 3-4 niles away because he lived in a gated community and they probably wouldn't;t get them drive it to his door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I saw THE Maddencruiser  once. He lived in Pleasanton, CA age next town over  from where I lived.  It had the Outback (they sponsored it )  and Madden logos on it and was parked at the Outback in my town . Probably had someone drive him to the b=us ( about 3-4 niles away because he lived in a gated community and they probably wouldn't;t get them drive it to his door.

...wow...thank for sharing bud......imagine 2 mil for a bus?....I'd be short on "tokens"...........:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just sedate then load them in the luggage compartment

 

 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NFL charters are quite comfortable.

The entire narrative of them somehow being debilitating is nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

39 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What if they’re afraid of a loud train whistle?

Then the Bills don’t sign the player!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

 

meet all kinds of cool people

 

what decade was this?

 

 

Mid 80's. There was a fight on the bus and the police dragged some guys off in the middle of the night. Several people were always drunk, the Border Patrol entered the bus. One guy was a fugitive. It would have been a good entry forJack Kerouac.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd assume the player would have to find a way to get over it if he wanted to be on an NFL team.

 

I've read that the main guy from the band Breaking Benjamin is petrified of flying, so his band doesn't do a whole lot of touring/concerts overseas. He's said before that he'll go as far as a boat can take him.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

So funny you started this thread today I was just thinking getting close to retirement my wife wants to do a lot of traveling going to be an issue because I am terrified of flying. Have not been on a plane for over 25 years.

 

 

Recreational Vehicle.. That's my plan.. Going to rent my house  out while I drive around the continent a ton in a class C. Flying is to expensive and the lodging etc.. would be tough for us in retirement... Well early retirement as I have no intention of working into my 60s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Just sedate then load them in the luggage compartment

 

 

Anything you say Richie Incognito

18 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I'd assume the player would have to find a way to get over it if he wanted to be on an NFL team.

 

I've read that the main guy from the band Breaking Benjamin is petrified of flying, so his band doesn't do a whole lot of touring/concerts overseas. He's said before that he'll go as far as a boat can take him.

Benjamin Burley and the band performed at Rock am Ring in Germany. I heard in an interview he took a boat there. Lol

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really am not too fond of flying but nothing like that...my trick is to stay up super late the night before and then sleep on the plane...i figure if it goes down I'll be sleeping anyway

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MJS said:

That's Dick "Night Train" Lane. He got his nickname because he was afraid to fly and instead took trains to games.

 

EDIT: Apparently this is false. His nickname came from a song of the same name, given by a teammate.

 

This is great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

It took my 10 years to feel comfortable on a plane again.

 

I flew into Buffalo the same night as the plane crash back in I think 2009?

I arrived an hour before the flight that crashed was supposed to.  I had two options into Buffalo that night...I thank God I chose the right one.  That really messed with my brain for a long time.

 

 

 

I flew back from the United Kingdom on Pan Am flight 103 in 1988 three months before the one that blew up over Lockerbee. Not near the close call you had but I did think about that for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Binghamton Beast said:

 

I flew back from the United Kingdom on Pan Am flight 103 in 1988 three months before the one that blew up over Lockerbee. Not near the close call you had but I did think about that for a while.

 

My phone battery died when I got to my Uncles house.  I plugged it up the next morning and blew up with messages.  I had no clue why I had so many.

 

My mom told me she woke up in the morning, turned it on the news and heard “Plane crash in Buffalo, no survivors”.  She froze and then couldn’t get a hold of me because my phone was off.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HansLanda said:

I read a story (or maybe heard on the radio) that when Kiko was on the Bills, he was so nervous of flying that they let him sit in the jump seat in the cockpit and the pilots would tell him everything they were doing...Seriously. 

 

That seems highly unlikely, but it’s possible a charter flight might get away with having a person in the cockpit who isn’t cleared for it.  On the other hand, it’s highly surprising a charter pilot/copilot would accept this.  The usual rule is “sterile cockpit below 10,000 feet” though, meaning only necessary and flight-related communications between the PF and the PNF that leg (pilot flying and pilot not flying) and if distraction led to an incident or accident it would be their butt in the sling

 

Now they might have been asked to let him into the cockpit and give him a tour and explain what they do, when and why while they were on the ground.  I could see where that might help a nervous flyer.

 

2 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Not sure how you would get through college football. 

 

I was thinking that myself.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...