Hot Sauces

Jauronimo

Hot Sauce  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes you?

• My fridge is mostly condiments of a spicy nature.
    • My food frequently burns going in and coming out.
    • I don't use hot sauces because, WELL, I actually like to taste my food and I'm not just putting on this pretentious affectation to cover for the fact that I'm a wuss.
    • I love hot sauce! Have you ever tried Tabasco!
    • There's stuff in my regular rotation which cannot be measure in mere Scovilles.
    • I think salt and black pepper is spicy
    • We stick with Red Hot and occasionally break out the Sriracha on birthdays, anniversaries, or maybe if the missus has had too much wine on Bridge night.

2 hours ago, shrader said:

They should turn that into an add campaign...

Hmmm - based on that comment, I guessed that maybe there is such an ad campaign, so I Googled it. I swear, I'd never seen this before and was NOT alluding to it with my comment. Just a nice coincidence. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

Melinda's XXXX Reserve is my standard go-to hot sauce.

And I actually think Taco Bell fire sauce is really quite good.  Glad they stock it in stores now, I was starting to feel pretty guilty about the size of the handfuls I was taking from their restaurants.  Well no not really..

Melinda's are among the best hot sauce lines you can buy, IMO. The XXXX Reserve is fabulous and the Naga Jolokia a is outstanding, as well. Hot and great flavor (and generally not too salty).

Tabasco is my ketchup. I pour it on fries. I get seriously pissed off when I ask for Tabasco and they bring me Texas Pete. Texas Pets is not a hot sauce. It's a "lukewarm" sauce (actually i think that's giving it too much credit). But they must have great sales people. Several restaurants dropped Tabasco and other hot sauces to only carry Texas Pete several years ago. Needless to say the backlash among customers was enough to get many of them to change that policy. While I'm trashing hot sauces I think are awful, let's just say the Sriracha craze is as obnoxious as the Texas Pete takeover. A taco joint only had a jar of Sriracha on the counter. Seriously? A taco place? Another barely lukewarm sauce with far too much sugar.

Ring of Fire isn't particularly hot, but has a great flavor. 

For wings? Franks, no other option.

The hottest sauce I've ever had was probably Pure Cap. On the plus side, it's seriously hot. On the negative side, it sucks. A drop of it can ruin the taste of a potful of anything.  Da Bomb Insanity (and many of Dave's Insanity sauces) have much better flavor, IMO. One GREAT local sauce down here is The Cringer from Red Flag.  https://redflagspicyfoods.com/sauces.html  It's simply sensational, IMO. But it's ultra thick and is probably best for many applications when mixed with another good hot sauce.

I try to keep several hot sauces in my trunk (which obviously can get very hot). Typically I have a bottle of Tabasco, Tabasco Habanero, Mama Sita's https://www.amazon.com/Mama-Sitas-Labuyo-Pepper-Sauce/dp/B0060QXKS2, and odds and ends I get from the discount grocery store. I try to be prepared when the crazed maniacs at these restaurants tell me they have Tabasco and then try to shove Texas Pete or Sriracha in my face!

Edited by The Dean

I posted this elsewhere, but it made me laugh so hard I figured it belonged here too:

I don’t do “I dare you food”. Medium was just fine for me at Duff’s, though I usually get hot.

I was at a pizza joint for lunch and a guy comes in and sits next to me at the bar. He orders some hot wings. They warn him that hot is really HOT! He says “that’s what beer is for”. 

After the first wing, I ask him how they are. He says they’re fine, no big deal. During his second wing he says “it builds on you.” He orders another beer. By the third wing his eyes are watering and he’s blowing his nose. MORE beer. He starts choking a little bit, and I move away slightly, in case he spontaneously combusts!

Pride got the better of him, and he insisted on finishing his order, but I promise he did NOT enjoy it! It wasn’t a hotter wet sauce, it was some kind of lethal rub. No thank you! 

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

I posted this elsewhere, but it made me laugh so hard I figured it belonged here too:

I don’t do “I dare you food”. Medium was just fine for me at Duff’s, though I usually get hot.

I was at a pizza joint for lunch and a guy comes in and sits next to me at the bar. He orders some hot wings. They warn him that hot is really HOT! He says “that’s what beer is for”. 

After the first wing, I ask him how they are. He says they’re fine, no big deal. During his second wing he says “it builds on you.” He orders another beer. By the third wing his eyes are watering and he’s blowing his nose. MORE beer. He starts choking a little bit, and I move away slightly, in case he spontaneously combusts!

Pride got the better of him, and he insisted on finishing his order, but I promise he did NOT enjoy it! It wasn’t a hotter wet sauce, it was some kind of lethal rub. No thank you! 

:lol:  I have to say I agree with some of that. I don't do "I dare you" either. There's nothing "macho" about being able to eat something hotter than someone else, IMO. It's just that my tastes run to the seriously hot. And as I get older my tolerance (and my minimum floor) gets hotter and hotter. 

But there's more to it than just hot. For example I despise mustard and horseradish. I don't even want them in my refrigerator. But I really crave pepper hot. Still it has to have a good flavor---good to my taste, of course.  And I know this sounds a bit odd, but if I like to eat something that tastes great, but still makes me hallucinate a bit---and maybe gives me the hiccups. That's my  sweet spot!  

19 minutes ago, The Dean said:

:lol:  I have to say I agree with some of that. I don't do "I dare you" either. There's nothing "macho" about being able to eat something hotter than someone else, IMO. It's just that my tastes run to the seriously hot. And as I get older my tolerance (and my minimum floor) gets hotter and hotter. 

But there's more to it than just hot. For example I despise mustard and horseradish. I don't even want them in my refrigerator. But I really crave pepper hot. Still it has to have a good flavor---good to my taste, of course.  And I know this sounds a bit odd, but if I like to eat something that tastes great, but still makes me hallucinate a bit---and maybe gives me the hiccups. That's my  sweet spot!  

Horseradish belongs on beef on weck. You lost me there. I can get wings anywhere now (though rarely great), but BOW will be my first meal when I get to WNY tomorrow for the opener.

Actually, about 2 weeks ago we were starting a cruise along southern Spain with a large group of friends. The very first meal they had a carving station along with Kimmelweck and horseradish sauce. I turned to friends and said “this is an omen, we are on the trip of our lives!” I texted a pic to a few folks here. 

Horseradish has a place in this world! 

Amen. 

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

Horseradish belongs on beef on weck. You lost me there. I can get wings anywhere now (though rarely great), but BOW will be my first meal when I get to WNY tomorrow for the opener.

Actually, about 2 weeks ago we were starting a cruise along southern Spain with a large group of friends. The very first meal they had a carving station along with Kimmelweck and horseradish sauce. I turned to friends and said “this is an omen, we are on the trip of our lives!” I texted a pic to a few folks here. 

Horseradish has a place in this world! 

Amen. 

I’m not a big fan of crazy hot chili pepper flavors, but I like horseradish on a roast beef sandwich. My wife usually gets chili-jack cheese to snack on, which is good, but occasionally she gets a horseradish cheddar that is delicious. 

2 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I’m not a big fan of crazy hot chili pepper flavors, but I like horseradish on a roast beef sandwich. My wife usually gets chili-jack cheese to snack on, which is good, but occasionally she gets a horseradish cheddar that is delicious. 

One thing I’ve noticed over the years, if you have an assortment of cheeses, with your Gouda, Brie, Swiss, etc, the pepper jack cubes tend to disappear first. You have to dice them up to make them go like hot cakes, but they will. 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

To each their own, my friend! 

Ha! Of course.

I just googled "horseradish". Since I never liked it, I had no interest in just what the hell it was. Same family as mustard, cabbage, wasabi and broccoli. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horseradish

Never liked any of these so at least I'm consistent. (I can eat broccoli, but not a big fan. Broccoli rabe is decent on occasion, I suppose.)

Anyone have a recommendation for a quality electric oil fryer around $200 -$300 ?

I'm tired of paying for 20 crappy small wings at $20+ more often than not.

Would like to be able to do 20 wings at once and not use it for much else.

I go out to eat 3-4 times a week with my wife and it's almost always pizza, roast beef, fish fry, chicken souvlaki or chicken wings, with IPA's for me, often a salad and wine for her.

But being in our 60's, we're not gaining weight. ? ?

The chicken wings with IPA's and wine I can replace at home I like to think.

The rest is too much work or substandard compared to going out.

mrmet.thumb.jpg.0dc8598ce96e4ec4ba8ab6b6389b1e07.jpg?

.....this mascot just suddenly appeared and I can't get rid of him.

He's like that clown in the Stephen King clown movie about a clown that won't go away

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 9/19/2019 at 12:16 AM, Jauronimo said:

Latest additions to my fridge:

Aardvark - habanero based suace

Truff - think a truffle infused red hot with the body of a wing sauce.  Very good.  Used it to make some 'Truffalo' wings last weekend.

Zombie Apocalypse - from Torchbearer. Quite hot, solid flavor.  I prefer Son of Zombie from the same brand.  You can use a lot more and the flavor is addicting while still packing a punch.

Garlic Reaper - Another Torchbearer offering. Very hot carolina reaper based sauce but with surprisingly good flavor and a creamy consistency.

Have you ever tried being pepper sprayed?

https://images.app.goo.gl/ub2do59KYG4wGWQe6

On 9/19/2019 at 12:16 AM, Jauronimo said:

Latest additions to my fridge:

Aardvark - habanero based suace

Truff - think a truffle infused red hot with the body of a wing sauce.  Very good.  Used it to make some 'Truffalo' wings last weekend.

Zombie Apocalypse - from Torchbearer. Quite hot, solid flavor.  I prefer Son of Zombie from the same brand.  You can use a lot more and the flavor is addicting while still packing a punch.

Garlic Reaper - Another Torchbearer offering. Very hot carolina reaper based sauce but with surprisingly good flavor and a creamy consistency.

I’ve got some favorites. El Yucateco is probably my favorite overall if we’re taking about for Mexican food. 

Just plain Franks for wings but I like Durkee more. Just can’t find it anywhere. 

Some really good hot sauce with some kick is Dave’s Insanity. 

At one point in my life I liked things that were hotter than I do now. The outlet mall in Gilroy, California has a hot sauce outlet. While I was there I tried the 3rd hottest sauce in the world (at the time). It was hot and it phased me, but I feel like I could have done hotter. 

Ive eaten some extremely hot peppers. 

Scotch Bonnet

Chocolate Hanenero

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion

But the hottest thing I ever had was when I managed a Buffalo Wild Wings. Not many people that like hot stuff think the Blazing sauce there is anything crazy. But let me tell you, if done right, I can make the hottest wing you’ll ever have. Most of the time the sauce sits in a pumper and it’s nothing too bad. But all the oils float and sit on the top. If you scoop up those oils, it is insane. Had a guy at the bar once that was being a huge @$$hole to my bartenders and asked for the blazing. I scooped a full cup of that oil and soaked his wings in it. He spent 20 minutes in the bathroom puking his guts out.  I was never so happy to make someone so miserable. I tried 1 of those wings once. That is the last time I’ll ever do that. Stops your breathing it’s so hot. 

2 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Anyone have a recommendation for a quality electric oil fryer around $200 -$300 ?

Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Classic Red Enamel Dutch Oven (Island Spice Red)https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N501BK/

I have a Le Creuset dutch oven that i bought at their factory outlet store for $200 that I love, but also have one of these for $60! This is what I fry in, and braise in, and do a lot else in. I just would not buy a fryer I guess unless using it 2-3x a week, which sounds like you may 

36 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Lodge 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Classic Red Enamel Dutch Oven (Island Spice Red)https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N501BK/

I have a Le Creuset dutch oven that i bought at their factory outlet store for $200 that I love, but also have one of these for $60! This is what I fry in, and braise in, and do a lot else in. I just would not buy a fryer I guess unless using it 2-3x a week, which sounds like you may 

I received this as a gift over a year ago. Never used it even 1 time. 

Staub Cast Iron 5-qt Pumpkin Cocotte - Burnt Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G3DGVF1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.biHDbRDCFS5G

7 hours ago, billsherd said:

There is spicy chip challenge that I was suppose to attend but can't as I am leaving for buffalo on Friday. Has anyone heard about the chip challenge?

paqui one chip challenge? I haven’t had the one but I’ve had their other chips. The haunted ghost pepper had pretty good heat and flavor. Was surprised how hot they were. 

7/11 has some pretty hot peanuts. I think they’re ghost pepper too. Want to say there was some sort of challenge for them too.

i used to make a ghost pepper hot sauce at our old pizzeria. Was vinegar, water, garlic, black pepper, dried ground up ghost pepper flakes, cayenne, fresh ground ghost pepper. Little bit of cinnamon. Let it sit for a day  or two shaking it every couple hours then run it through a filter. Mmm

52 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

paqui one chip challenge? I haven’t had the one but I’ve had their other chips. The haunted ghost pepper had pretty good heat and flavor. Was surprised how hot they were. 

7/11 has some pretty hot peanuts. I think they’re ghost pepper too. Want to say there was some sort of challenge for them too.

i used to make a ghost pepper hot sauce at our old pizzeria. Was vinegar, water, garlic, black pepper, dried ground up ghost pepper flakes, cayenne, fresh ground ghost pepper. Little bit of cinnamon. Let it sit for a day  or two shaking it every couple hours then run it through a filter. Mmm

Yeah that's the one chip challenge. About 4-5 people are doing it. There are some YouTube videos about it. 

23 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Growing up in my house, horseradish was not a garnish.  It was a test of machismo.

??

My mom, a nice Polish girl, used to take us to the Broadway Market as kids. What a place, the smells were amazing. When we needed horseradish she’d put some cream in a mason jar and take it with her. They’d going the riot while you waited. Some of it felt like the top of your head would blow off, soooo good.

7 hours ago, mrags said:

I’ve got some favorites. El Yucateco is probably my favorite overall if we’re taking about for Mexican food. 

Just plain Franks for wings but I like Durkee more. Just can’t find it anywhere. 

Durkee owned Franks some years ago. It was often referred to as Durkee's Frank's Hot Sauce.  

"In 1977, Frank's RedHot was sold to Durkee Famous Foods.[1] Since the purchase of the Durkee brand in 1995, it was owned by Reckitt Benckiser until 2017. Frank's is produced in Springfield, Missouri"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank's_RedHot

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

My parents gave me this exact pot last year, I use it all the time for frying. Works really well.

7 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

I once had some sort of hot wings at a Buffalo Wild Wings that made me puke for like 20 minutes.

I pity whoever had to clean that mess up there.

And we have my first TBD laugh of the day. Well played. 

@mrags

25 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Durkee owned Franks some years ago. It was often referred to as Durkee's Frank's Hot Sauce.  

"In 1977, Frank's RedHot was sold to Durkee Famous Foods.[1] Since the purchase of the Durkee brand in 1995, it was owned by Reckitt Benckiser until 2017. Frank's is produced in Springfield, Missouri"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank's_RedHot

I had thought they were at one point. 

But Durkee had a different taste. And was thicker than Franks as we know it today. 

29 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

I once had some sort of hot wings at a Buffalo Wild Wings that made me puke for like 20 minutes.

I pity whoever had to clean that mess up there.

Well done. I can assure you it wasn’t me who cleaned it up. 

Edited by mrags

12 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

^^^

this. electric oil fryers suck. not enough btu. use something like this on your stovetop.

19 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

I'm tired of paying for 20 crappy small wings at $20+ more often than not.

Would like to be able to do 20 wings at once and not use it for much else.

I go out to eat 3-4 times a week with my wife and it's almost always pizza, roast beef, fish fry, chicken souvlaki or chicken wings, with IPA's for me, often a salad and wine for her.

But being in our 60's, we're not gaining weight. ? ?

The chicken wings with IPA's and wine I can replace at home I like to think.

The rest is too much work or substandard compared to going out.

mrmet.thumb.jpg.0dc8598ce96e4ec4ba8ab6b6389b1e07.jpg?

.....this mascot just suddenly appeared and I can't get rid of him.

He's like that clown in the Stephen King clown movie about a clown that won't go away

You can buy a decent deep fryer for $50.

Old stand by:  Dave's Total Insanity Sauce

New Fave:  Moore's Habanero Sauce

Local (to Buffalo) Fave:  Krista's Hot Sauce

When we're back in town, we always stop at the Tops in EA on our way out and load up on Krista's and Dave's  - Can't find either here in PA.

And i do love Tabasco - has a great, tangy flavor.

Hottest I've ever tried:  The Vontae Davis Sauce at O'Neills at Abbot & Soutwestern - That messed up my plumbing for a couple days.