Bills least valuable NFL franchise per Forbes

TroutDog

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Bills will always be the least valuable franchise. But the Pegulas did everyone a favor by raising the value of every NFL team with their bid.

Team values are mostly illusion anyway.

Yep. The "value" of a modern NFL team is basically just the price to enter a rich man's dividend fund where you are all but guaranteed profit. 

It is why the modern breed of NFL owners shouldn't be getting inducted into the HoF in my mind. I can see HoF status for the pioneers of pro football both in the NFL and AFL. Those were guys taking risks when the stakes were high and there was a chance you could lose. The Pegulas couldn't lose buying the Bills. Nor could the fella who bought the Panthers last year. The entry criteria no longer includes risk appetite. Just ever deeper pockets. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Distorted One said:

Yeah $1.9 billion ain't peanuts and I'm pleasantly surprised by that number.  They bought for what $1.4 billion.  That's quite a return so far.  If memory serves me, the bidding for the team was probably in the $900 mil to $1.1 billion range and they came in with that fat $1.4 billion to make everyone else give up and go home.  So they essentially paid a couple hundred million $ just to get it over with and guarantee they'd win?  That's some real love for this team and Buffalo as a whole community.

Or greed.....

Undervalued, under the radar underdogs... mostly ignored by the corporate machine.

That’ll make it all the sweeter when this “poverty stricken” small market bunch of orphans knocks off the silver star-studded, silver spoon up their pristine derrière choir Boys or Golden Fleece Rams. 

Shock the world, street urchins... and pick Jerruh’s pockets while you’re at it. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Búfalo Blanco said:

Undervalued, under the radar underdogs... mostly ignored by the corporate machine.

That’ll make it all the sweeter when this “poverty stricken” small market bunch of orphans knocks off the silver star-studded, silver spoon up their pristine derrière choir Boys or Golden Fleece Rams. 

Shock the world, street urchins... and pick Jerruh’s pockets while you’re at it. 

This is excellent. And, by the way, there is next to nothing concrete in any of these forbes “valuations.”

pretty sure Jeffery Epstein was listed as a forbes “billionaire” until he got caught up in certain things and the feds counted up his money and he had about half that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

For years we’ve seen Terry and Kim’s net worth hovering around 3.8 billion mark.

I’m assuming and hoping this gets them well over 4 billion.

Yes...I want my local sports owners richer than ever.  It helps our franchises, like with the new training center for the Bills, which in turn makes the team more attractive to free agents...unless your Vontae Davis’ wife.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. The "value" of a modern NFL team is basically just the price to enter a rich man's dividend fund where you are all but guaranteed profit. 

It is why the modern breed of NFL owners shouldn't be getting inducted into the HoF in my mind. I can see HoF status for the pioneers of pro football both in the NFL and AFL. Those were guys taking risks when the stakes were high and there was a chance you could lose. The Pegulas couldn't lose buying the Bills. Nor could the fella who bought the Panthers last year. The entry criteria no longer includes risk appetite. Just ever deeper pockets. 

I hear ya, but really I think we are at the crest of football team values. I can see team values falling in the not too distant future when the pool of talent starts to dwindle. American kds are not playing the sport as much any more from fears of head trauma. Sometimes I think that's the real push behind the NFL's international outreach.

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

I hear ya, but really I think we are at the crest of football team values. I can see team values falling in the not too distant future when the pool of talent starts to dwindle. American kds are not playing the sport as much any more from fears of head trauma. Sometimes I think that's the real push behind the NFL's international outreach.

Their push to be international is very much, in part, about expanding the talent base. You could be right about values peaking. We will have to see. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

For years we’ve seen Terry and Kim’s net worth hovering around 3.8 billion mark.

I’m assuming and hoping this gets them well over 4 billion.

That means they earn about $200 million a year even investing conservatively! Twenty million a month. Or one million each week day. Or $120 thousand per hour! Not too shabby.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The values will keep increasing as long as people keep watching on TV.  At some point that may decrease but when/if that happens remains to be seen.  

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What about world class cities like Jacksonville and Green Bay?

Good point it's not like any of these teams are historically good or popular and we all know Buffalos population handily beats out Jacksonvilles 900,000+ population.

?

6 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Good point it's not like any of these teams are historically good or popular and we all know Buffalos population handily beats out Jacksonvilles 900,000+ population.

?

Don't confuse city populations with metropolitan population. Jax is 1.53MM, Buffalo is 1.13MM. Bigger but not by that much.

Oh, and Green Bay/Appleton/Oshkosh? 235K.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't confuse city populations with metropolitan population. Jax is 1.53MM, Buffalo is 1.13MM. Bigger but not by that much.

Oh, and Green Bay/Appleton/Oshkosh? 235K.

Don't be fooled by Buffalo's 1.13M Metro.  The league would have never approved the Pegula's purchase for such a short market reach.  The Pegula's approval happened based on television signals reaching approximately 3M people west of I-81 in New York and some of PA's Northern Tier.  3 million people is not at the bottom of the barrel NFL wise lessening the pressure for a quick relocation to San Antonio, Portland, OR, etc..

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Don't be fooled by Buffalo's 1.13M Metro.  The league would have never approved the Pegula's purchase for such a short market reach.  The Pegula's approval happened based on television signals reaching approximately 3M people west of I-81 in New York and some of PA's Northern Tier.  3 million people is not at the bottom of the barrel NFL wise lessening the pressure for a quick relocation to San Antonio, Portland, OR, etc..

It's not complicated. There were $1.4B reasons why the Pegulas were approved.

13 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

You forgot to mention the southern Ontario draw.  Personally, i think if a new stadium is going to be built they should simply bulldoze most of Niagara Falls and put it up there.  Then you really do cement the team to the Ontario market.  The stadium, of course, is not going to be built in NF......