Bills least valuable NFL franchise per Forbes

TroutDog

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's not complicated. There were $1.4B reasons why the Pegulas were approved.

It's more complicated than that.  A team in SA or Portland would most likely be worth at least 2.50-2.75B today and more with a new stadium under construction if not complete.  The NFL took the long view that success and the increased market reach would produce similar growth in value if the team stayed put.  At the time the Bills probably got the benefit of the doubt in terms of Canadian market.  I still say that the Pegula's need to throw their weight around that most of Southern Ontario is their territory other than what is within an hour's drive of Detroit (if it matters to that franchise).

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

You forgot to mention the southern Ontario draw.  Personally, i think if a new stadium is going to be built they should simply bulldoze most of Niagara Falls and put it up there.  Then you really do cement the team to the Ontario market.  The stadium, of course, is not going to be built in NF......

I did not forget it but am not sure that the NFL consistently recognizes it as firmly Bills territory.  As I said a few minutes ago I believe that it factored into the Pegula's purchase approval but worry that the league in need of an expansion fee hit would allow a team into Toronto.  Like I said the Pegula's now that they have settled into the NFL should be pushing the notion that Southern Ontario is their territory at every opportunity.  

8 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

It's more complicated than that.  A team in SA or Portland would most likely be worth at least 2.50-2.75B today and more with a new stadium under construction if not complete.  The NFL took the long view that success and the increased market reach would produce similar growth in value if the team stayed put.  At the time the Bills probably got the benefit of the doubt in terms of Canadian market.  I still say that the Pegula's need to throw their weight around that most of Southern Ontario is their territory other than what is within an hour's drive of Detroit (if it matters to that franchise).

I did not forget it but am not sure that the NFL consistently recognizes it as firmly Bills territory.  As I said a few minutes ago I believe that it factored into the Pegula's purchase approval but worry that the league in need of an expansion fee hit would allow a team into Toronto.  Like I said the Pegula's now that they have settled into the NFL should be pushing the notion that Southern Ontario is their territory at every opportunity.  

I don't think Seattle would allow a team in Portland. 

Second, by overbidding by $400MM the Pegulas instantly increased the value of every NFL team by that much.

How much would an NFL team in Toronto be worth? They had a perfect opportunity in 2014 to steer the Bills to the Rogers/BonJovi group but didn't.

I grant you that others like Jones and Kraft would love to see the Bills in a more profitable market, the rest of the league values stable  wealthy ownership even more. The Pegulas were welcomed into that club.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't think Seattle would allow a team in Portland. 

Second, by overbidding by $400MM the Pegulas instantly increased the value of every NFL team by that much.

How much would an NFL team in Toronto be worth? They had a perfect opportunity in 2014 to steer the Bills to the Rogers/BonJovi group but didn't.

I grant you that others like Jones and Kraft would love to see the Bills in a more profitable market, the rest of the league values stable  wealthy ownership even more. The Pegulas were welcomed into that club.

Reports were shortly after the Pegula purchase that the Bills were still valued around 1B dollars rather than 1.4B.  Secondly, valuation does not work that way.  Even if you want to give credit to the Bills bumping up the value certain teams would have gotten more than a .4B increase.  The Cowboys would have gotten the percent increase that the Bills received versus the absolute value.  As I understood it the Toronto deal was more or less dead when Ted Rogers died as he was the primary force in that effort.  There was nobody there to help get Bon Jovi over the 1B dollar hump and the NFL obviously did not see the value in hunting up partners for Bon Jovi.

20 hours ago, Distorted One said:

If memory serves me, the bidding for the team was probably in the $900 mil to $1.1 billion range and they came in with that fat $1.4 billion to make everyone else give up and go home.  So they essentially paid a couple hundred million $ just to get it over with and guarantee they'd win?  That's some real love for this team and Buffalo as a whole community.

I’ve been of the opinion, given their connection and investment in the community even prior to their purchase of the Bills, that someone connected with Wilson’s trust may have also clued them in to the fact that 2/3 of the purchase was going toward philanthropy in Buffalo and Detroit, making that bid even more palatable for them.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, iinii said:

Or greed.....

I think we can be pretty certain that the Pegulas buying the Buffalo Bills was not motivated a lot by greed.  One of the lowest valued franchises in just about all sports in an old rust belt city (no offense city of Buffalo - I love you like it's my hometown but let's be honest).  And with the cash they just forked over for that new training facility I wouldn't exactly call this franchise a cash cow (that facility is pretty sweet).  No they're exactly the kind of owners that this team needed to buy the club.  They feel the pain of those four SB's just like all of us.  They have deep pockets and they're gonna spend a lot of money to try and make that pain go away with a few championships. 

3 hours ago, transient said:

I’ve been of the opinion, given their connection and investment in the community even prior to their purchase of the Bills, that someone connected with Wilson’s trust may have also clued them in to the fact that 2/3 of the purchase was going toward philanthropy in Buffalo and Detroit, making that bid even more palatable for them.

That's a very interesting take.  Good observation.  That sounds about right too.

1 minute ago, Distorted One said:

I think we can be pretty certain that the Pegulas buying the Buffalo Bills was not motivated a lot by greed.  One of the lowest valued franchises in just about all sports in an old rust belt city (no offense city of Buffalo - I love you like it's my hometown but let's be honest).  And with the cash they just forked over for that new training facility I wouldn't exactly call this franchise a cash cow (that facility is pretty sweet).  No they're exactly the kind of owners that this team needed to buy the club.  They feel the pain of those four SB's just like all of us.  They have deep pockets and they're gonna spend a lot of money to try and make that pain go away with a few championships. 

So Pegs fracks the earth out of a sense of what? It sure ain’t saving the planet. Does this mean football, a kids game played by men, is superior to the environment. And how much money does Pegs actually need? If he is purely about his civic duty why doesn’t he just donate the team(s) to the city. The Pegulas could still oversee the team and get an outstanding write off. 

On 9/18/2019 at 1:38 PM, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If Bills fans would just drink all their beer in the stadium the Pegula's would be number 1 on this list in 3 years.

If there was no beer cutoff time in games, they would be worth probably a few $100 million more haha

1 hour ago, iinii said:

So Pegs fracks the earth out of a sense of what? It sure ain’t saving the planet. Does this mean football, a kids game played by men, is superior to the environment. And how much money does Pegs actually need? If he is purely about his civic duty why doesn’t he just donate the team(s) to the city. The Pegulas could still oversee the team and get an outstanding write off. 

I don't think anyone's disputing the way they got stinking rich.  I certainly wasn't  I agree with you on the fracking.  We may see some very bad unintended consequences from this weird "drilling" technique.  I don't like it.  It did a lot for our economy but the environment is going to pay a huge price for cheap oil and fat wallets for the big oil dogs.  We need less oil production - lots less - not more.  I have no love for industries that are killing our one planet.  But this is my Buffalo Bills and I'll have to let it slide on this one.  They did save us from Bon Jovi and Trump ? after all.  Ok let me stop my tree-hugging speech now. 

I think to your question about Pegs intent, I don't get that from them.  They seem like pretty genuine people and I think the reason they bought the Bills was to finally bring championships to Buffalo.  All the perks included sure, but that's a sideshow.  But I'm easily fooled sometimes and of course if there's a billionaire involved in anything, there's almost assuredly a tax write off or such angle.  It's the American way.

9 minutes ago, Distorted One said:

We need less oil production - lots less - not more.

I'm pretty glad that the attacks on the Saudi oil production have not totally screwed up our economy, like it would have in the past. 

1 hour ago, bbb said:

I'm pretty glad that the attacks on the Saudi oil production have not totally screwed up our economy, like it would have in the past. 

Energy independence is a good thing to have.  Too bad it's fossil fuel based.  The Chinese went nuts on solar panels the last decade or so and are reaping the rewards.  Hey, there's a good idea for Pegs if he really wants to give back to the community/country.

37 minutes ago, Distorted One said:

Energy independence is a good thing to have.  Too bad it's fossil fuel based.  The Chinese went nuts on solar panels the last decade or so and are reaping the rewards.  Hey, there's a good idea for Pegs if he really wants to give back to the community/country.

Maybe we can Elon Musk to get one of his solar power plants built in Buffalo?