First Half wasn't as awful as everyone is saying

mjt328

38 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

people are just DETERMINED they're right about this guy

I think there are three camps.  One is determined they are right about the guy being a bust.  Another is determined they are right the guy being great.

And then there is the third, most reasonable camp of posters.

52 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

It's a better play call if Gore doesn't decide to cut left into the green guys instead of following the block which was pushing the Jets line back to the right.

You’re  saying the fourth all time leading rusher in nfl history doesn't know how to hit the right hole? 

52 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

They WERE moving the ball well, but if Josh Allen throws up 15 - 25 picks/INTS this season, the Bills will be drafting another QB real soon.

You understand Jim Kelly AVERAGED just under 16 INTs for his career right? 

Big Ben had 23 ints his third year, but I guess the Steelers ended up keeping him. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, Ralonzo said:

For the last ? time it was -3 ? turnovers, look at the boxscore and stop reading idiotic tweets and repeating it like fact people

OK on the last play in desperation the Jets gave up a fumble.  So you stand as technically correct at -3.  This fact does not erase that the Bills were -4 until the final second of the game.  I stand on my original point which was if you are -4 in turnovers (for 59 minutes and 59 seconds) you are most likely going to lose.  

Do you feel better now?

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

OK on the last play in desperation the Jets gave up a fumble.  So you stand as technically correct at -3.  This fact does not erase that the Bills were -4 until the final second of the game.  I stand on my original point which was if you are -4 in turnovers (for 59 minutes and 59 seconds) you are most likely going to lose.  

Do you feel better now?

I forgive you.  But as a mod, I expect better statistical accuracy of you going forward

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Do you feel better now?

[whisper mode] 

what do you think??  ;)  

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

I forgive you.  But as a mod, I expect better statistical accuracy of you going forward

Stats LIE.    They can be twisted 6 ways to Sunday. 

Here at TDB we thrive at making that 7  ways to Sunday. 

Just now, BuffaloBill said:

Actually the bar for mods is quite low, subterranean in fact.

Like knuckle dragging low???  

:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You’re  saying the fourth all time leading rusher in nfl history doesn't know how to hit the right hole? 

Dawkins shunts Leo inside and seals. Adams fills the hole, Smith whams him. Zay and Beasley have lost position on their blocks so the outside is dead. Instead of following Dawkins/Smith, Gore turns into the 2 Jets.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Ralonzo said:

Dawkins shunts Leo inside and seals. Adams fills the hole, Smith whams him. Zay and Beasley have lost position on their blocks so the outside is dead. Instead of following Dawkins/Smith, Gore turns into the 2 Jets.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

It’ll be worth a look on all 22.  Can’t tell if he jump cut to get around the blocker in front of him in frame #3.

the guy is hardly a dancer 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I love that you labeled the Jets player in the last screenshot. 

Watching that play live I thought Gore should've made it out of the endzone easily. What a piss poor decision and bad running by Gore. 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree with the OP to an extent. I'd much rather have an offense that moves the ball and occasionally makes mistakes than a mistake-free offense that doesn't move it.

That said, there were WAY too many mistakes. We easily could have had six or seven turnovers through three quarters instead of just four. The average offense scores around 22 ppg. We scored 17 and gave them 8; netting 9 ppg on offense is straight up bad no matter how you slice it up, and they were technically -8 through three quarters, so perhaps it was just as awful as everyone said. It was only one game though and the defense looked as advertised so there's that.   

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Watching that play live I thought Gore should've made it out of the endzone easily. What a piss poor decision and bad running by Gore. 

One last frame which shows Gore trying to power to the left right next to the big gaping hole.

5.jpg

1 minute ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Cole Beasley blocking... there’s an example of something that makes little sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ralonzo said:

One last frame which shows Gore trying to power to the left right next to the big gaping hole.

5.jpg

You are right. For some reason, Gore decided to shift left rather than running straight ahead through the hole. It is pretty clear on the replay.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, VW82 said:

I agree with the OP to an extent. I'd much rather have an offense that moves the ball and occasionally makes mistakes than a mistake-free offense that doesn't move it.

heh, just occurred to me that this is exactly what everyone here wanted during the Tyrod "Take care of the ball even if you never make a first down" Taylor era.

200.gif

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

In review of yesterday's game, I keep reading how terrible and ineffective the Bills offense was until the 4th Quarter.  I completely disagree.

Were they mistake prone and sloppy at times?  Absolutely.

But when you really break it down, the offense was consistently putting together strong drives for a good chunk of the day.

On the day, the Bills had the ball a total of 12 times. 

- One possession was the kneel down at the half. 

- One possession was running out the clock at the end of the game.

- Then you have the Cole Beasley bounce (pretty much a fluke), which was returned for a touchdown.  This drive was one play.

- Then you have the safety (bad call by the refs), which also lasted one play.

That leaves 8 true possessions for the Bills offense.

1.  Drive #1 (7 plays, 37 yards):  They easily marched down the field to the Jets 26 yard line.  Then Dion Dawkins missed a block, resulting in the sack/strip.

2.  Drive #3 (9 plays, 35 yards):  Another drive into scoring position, until the Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalty on Jon Feliciano.

3.  Drive #4 (3 plays, 7 yards):  This was a really bad series, which also included the INT that was overturned by penalty.

4.  Drive #5 (9 plays, 58 yards):  Yet another very strong drive, ended by the botched snap on the QB sneak.

5.  Drive #6 (5 plays, 30 yards):  The offense was starting to move again.  Then we have the tipped pass, which was also intercepted.

6.  Drive #9 (9 plays, 50 yards):  Ended in our first 3 points of the day.

7.  Drive #10 (8 plays, 85 yards):  Touchdown

8.  Drive #11 (8 plays, 80 yards):  Touchdown

Bottom line... On a snap-by-snap basis, I felt like the Bills controlled the game on both sides.  Defense was outstanding all day.  The offense had some really bad bounces and bad luck.  They had some really bad mistakes at the wrong time.  The narrative is that something "woke the offense up" during the 4th quarter.  In reality, I think we just figured out how to finish our drives.

It was great to see the Bills win but you basically blow off all the bad about the team and praise all the good. It doesn't matter how good we move down the field if it ends up in a blown play, INT or fumble, those are the type of plays that make you a playoff team or a pretender. Had it not have been for an inept K who missed a FG and XP then we would have lost the game. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer but if we give up 4 turnovers in a game the odds of us winning again are very low to near impossible. On a side note I liked the resilience of this team, they never gave up and our free agent pickups really seemed to step up. Just my opinions.

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

I've also noticed a lot of criticism towards Brian Daboll's playcalling.  I thought it was great.

The Jets defensive strength is run defense.  Their weakness is pass defense.

And before the game, their players were throwing jabs at Josh Allen, saying they just needed to "make him play quarterback."

The pass-heavy approach was the right one.  And if not for the dumb mistakes that killed our drives and kept points off the board, everybody would be praising Daboll this morning.  He can't control everything.

The play on the safety and the back to back sneaks were poor calls. I had no problems with the rest other than some expected sloppy execution. We beat a quality division rival on the road down 16. And we survived 4 TO's. Clean that up with our D and we'll be alright. 

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Cole Beasley blocking... there’s an example of something that makes little sense. 

I would think if that was Duke and not Cole, the safety doesn't happen. And we also learned that Foster is a willing blocker but doesn't always know what his job is.

Wonder if that will be addressed in roster juggling along with the inevitable re-signing of O Captain My Captain, but that would require parting with one of the 15 tight ends or Conor McBlackmail.

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The play on the safety and the back to back sneaks were poor calls. I had no problems with the rest other than some expected sloppy execution. We beat a quality division rival on the road down 16. And we survived 4 TO's. Clean that up with our D and we'll be alright. 

I think the call on the safety was fine, personnel not so much. Beasley is barely a speed bump as a blocker. And looked like Gore missed a huge hole and ran into traffic. It happened to Gore, probably happens with McCoy, might happen with Motor, never happens with Bell.

Edited by Ralonzo