Antonio Brown called Mike Mayock a “cracker” during Wednesday’s altercation

wppete

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yup. Cant is a terrible word. People should never ever say it.

My gf always says "she is such a C-word" and I say "you mean a c*nt?" She says "you know I don't use that word, but yes." :lol:

See, it even blocks it out on here when you try to type the whole thing. :lol:

Edited by H2o

18 minutes ago, SJDK said:

So are you saying that it’s racist one way but not the other? What exactly makes this terrible? Do you believe people should be treated equally?

People should be treated fairly. That's different from equally.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

But the issue is still the racist intent. N- word can be used without racist intent (as evidence by the black communities that use it as a term of endearment- not that I understand that). Brown likely meant cracker as a slur, thus its offensive and just as bad as any other slur.

No. All slurs are not remotely the same. You cannot offend or disrespect or demean a Norwegian anywhere near how much you can offend, disrespect or demean a black American.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Dude, those are delicious. Haven't had them in a minute but I will now seek them out again.

I haven't had them in forever either. I'm literally stopping at the store on my way home from work tonight to get them now.:lol:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Am I alone in that I wouldn’t even be a little offended if someone called me a “cracker” or “honkey” or any other racist term for white people? You could say about 213,000 other things that my sensitive @$$ would be bothered more by. 

Prolly not, just as some black folks aren't particularly offended by the "n-word", though as always context matters........

The point remains, neither are good words to throw around if you want to build a good relationship with an organization or the key people in it........

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That’s kind of what I’m getting at. If you called me fat, bald, ugly, dumb, etc... it would hurt a lot more. I’m much, much, much more sensitive about that kind of stuff than I would be “cracker.” 

OK, you're fat, bald, ugly and dumb. But, you got character. Character goes a long way.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, wppete said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/06/antonio-brown-called-mike-mayock-a-cracker-on-wednesday/

“More details about the Wednesday conversation between Raiders wide receiver Antonio Brown and General Manager Mike Mayock have come to light, including language used by Brown that escalated the situation ahead of Thursday’s reports of a possible suspension.

The conversation came after Brown posted a letter from Mayock informing him of fines for missing practice time on social media and PFT has learned, via a league source, that Mayock told Brown that the team preferred to keep such matters private. Brown then began hurling insults at Mayock that included calling him a “cracker.”

Previous reports also indicated that Brown threatened to punch Mayock in the face during the exchange. Josina Anderson of ESPN also reports that Brown used the word cracker and other “cuss words” during the exchange, but quotes a team source as saying that the altercation never appeared to be spilling from verbal to physical.

“[Mayock] was like, ‘I’m cool, I understand your displeasure,'” the source said. “[Mayock] sort of just like . . . just walked away because he saw it escalate.”

Word on Thursday was that the Raiders were planning to suspend Brown, but nothing has been announced at this point and Brown’s agent Drew Rosenhaus has said his client wants to repair the relationship with the team.”

cut him, guy is not worth the headache.

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

cut him, guy is not worth the headache.

That's a fair appraisal of the situation.

But obviously Mayock and Gruden were always ready to take a calculated gamble on him and don't see it that way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 947 said:

Imagine the backlash if Mayock had said  anything even insinuating it was about race, let alone a racial slur. He'd never work again, and would probably have to leave the country. Why is "cracker" ok?

That word doesn't affend me or anybody I know, but we all know what happens when a white person says anything regarding race in today's society.

It's not

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

No. All slurs are not remotely the same. You cannot offend or disrespect or demean a Norwegian anywhere near how much you can offend, disrespect or demean a black American.

So explain to me why the n word can be used by black people directed to other black people without offense? The word itself isn’t offensive. 

Here’s why I know you’re wrong:

How someone is offended is not dependent on what is said. Someone can insult me in a way that offends me deeply, but wouldn’t offend you. The words themselves are just words. The intent, and the context are what makes them offensive, and that offense is dictated by the interpretation of the one being insulted. 

If my wife calls me an idiot, I get hurt. If DCTom calls me an idiot, I take pride in it. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Phils n Bills said:

Could you imagine the uproar if the roles were reversed and mayock was the one who used the slur and language of the like? 

It would be on the news for 6-8 weeks and Mayock would already have been fired.  And I am glad I just double checked the spelling of Mayock

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

I don't think you're alone.

Yes, the fact is that it's a racial slur.

The other fact is that the context around it isn't nearly as impactful as the context around other racial slurs.

I thought the league did automatic suspensions for racial type slurs?

1 minute ago, Phils n Bills said:

Could you imagine the uproar if the roles were reversed and mayock was the one who used the slur and language of the like? 

A lot of people would argue that would be somewhat different, b/c Mayock is the one with power in the relationship and his race has not been historically discriminated against in the way African Americans have.

But that whole conversation is not for this thread.

31 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

That would certainly be the case (although Riley Cooper got by) and it’s a double standard. The reality is the history and context that created that is so much more vile than the history and context of cracker. Racist/homophobic/anti-semetic slurs do not carry equal weight (or even close). The background defines their ugliness.

I guess being a player and possessing the skills really helps too. Not only the race.  

• Like (+1) 1