Antonio Brown called Mike Mayock a “cracker” during Wednesday’s altercation

wppete

44 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Am I alone in that I wouldn’t even be a little offended if someone called me a “cracker” or “honkey” or any other racist term for white people? You could say about 213,000 other things that my sensitive @$$ would be bothered more by. 

I agree in that it wouldn't offend me in the slightest but I think the point here is that it is MEANT to cause a lot of offense. And the problem for the Raiders is that if they let him get away with it you know there will be people screaming double standards. Just imagine if a Ravens player had called Newsome any derogatory name for blacks. Even if Brown were to say "I don't think all white people are crackers" all you have to do is spin it around to the hypothetical Ravens player saying "I don't think all blacks are..." to see that that argument wouldn't stop said player getting crucified.

It's a tough one because as I say, it doesn't offend me at all (and how many black people would say n*****r doesn't offend them?) and white people in America haven't had the same history as black people, but I do dislike hypocrisy and if something like that gets swept away then it sort of shines a light on that. It also makes rednecks think "well there you go, I can say what want because blah blah blah" and they'll constantly use this as an argument whenever they want to point out a double standard.

I hate knee jerk reactions to things, but if you're preaching ALL racism is wrong then you have to punish him exactly as you would a white guy who called his black GM the N word Though I can't think of any examples where that might have happened. The only thing I can think of is the Eagles receiver who got caught on tape being racially abusive, and as far as I can recall he didn't lose his job so maybe an apology will do

(I'd be more than okay with that personally, so long as he agreed to stop acting like a dick)

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I always thought you should combine anal and orifice into just analfice. A little more compact power. 

That would rapidly become "Pedantic supercilious anal fist."  

So I'm thinking...uh...no.  It's not the worst idea I've ever read here, but that speaks less to the quality of your idea (SPOILER ALERT: it has none, it's a stupid idea) than the amount of true idiocy that often gets posted.  

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...how touching..."Cry Me A River".....29 million reasons NOT to buy it...SMH.....

Antonio Brown attends Raiders team meeting, gives “emotional apology”

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 6, 2019, 12:23 PM EDT

Raiders wide receiver Antonio Brown is back at the team facility today, trying to make amends.

Brown attended a team meeting this morning and issued “an emotional apology,” Josina Anderson of ESPN reports.

The Raiders’ team captains, who reportedly told Jon Gruden that they would back him on whatever he wants to do with Brown, stood with Brown at the team meeting.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/06/antonio-brown-attends-raiders-team-meeting-gives-emotional-apology/

Looks like someone saw all the news about him potentially losing his guarantees.

• Haha (+1) 1

AB deserves to be out of football.  I suspect him getting passes for this type of behavior in Pittsburgh as well as 4th, 5th, etc chances leads to this type of outburst.  It will happen again, and I hope the Raiders do not listen to Drew Rosenhause.

6 minutes ago, SJDK said:

Just as bad as that Eagles receiver using the N-word. All people are equal and should be held to the same standard. Suspend him and fine him some more or just get rid of him. World class DBag!

No, it's really not. This argument is always terrible.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I wouldnt be offended either... and I am not a big 'white guy victim' card carrier....

But I cant help but think at what the ramifications would have been if the shoe was on the other foot, and Maycock used an inadvisable term.  His career and life would be effectively ruined/altered severely

That would certainly be the case (although Riley Cooper got by) and it’s a double standard. The reality is the history and context that created that is so much more vile than the history and context of cracker. Racist/homophobic/anti-semetic slurs do not carry equal weight (or even close). The background defines their ugliness.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Nelius said:

So are you saying that it’s racist one way but not the other? What exactly makes this terrible? Do you believe people should be treated equally?

24 minutes ago, MDH said:

That's because one word has been used historically in the US to belittle and demean a people and the other was hilariously created to try and do likewise but has failed to gain any traction other than in comedy.

They're not the same thing at all and most people realize this.

Sticks And Stones?

2 minutes ago, SJDK said:

So are you saying that it’s racist one way but not the other? What exactly makes this terrible? Do you believe people should be treated equally?

Of course it's racist, but what I think many folks are saying is that the term doesn't carry with it the weight of a few hundred years of tangible discrimination, and so it's not generally viewed as being that bad (rightly or wrongly).

8 minutes ago, Nelius said:

12 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Nope!

I Disagree. Maybe we don't find the term "cracker" as offensive, but the fact AB said it with offensive intent is all that is needed here. Can't have it one way and not the other. I fully expect a league suspension as well as a Raider suspension.

From there social media will debate it.. I have to admit, in this context, in a professional situation, it needs to be addresses for its intent. It was a racist comment and needs to be treated that way.

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

That would rapidly become "Pedantic supercilious anal fist."  

So I'm thinking...uh...no.  It's not the worst idea I've ever read here, but that speaks less to the quality of your idea (SPOILER ALERT: it has none, it's a stupid idea) than the amount of true idiocy that often gets posted.  

That just shows that clearly prejudiced against fisters; admit it

3 minutes ago, Returntoglory said:

What would the reaction be had the GM used the "N" word on Brown?

I think we all know the answer to that...and if there's any confusion, just look at the reaction to Bob McNair when he mistakenly said "inmates running the prison" instead of "inmates running the asylum".  Dude mis-stated a common colloquialism and it turned into a racially-charged controversy.

But again, that's because the term carries with it the weight of a few hundred years of discrimination.  You can't ignore that.

1 minute ago, H2o said:

I laugh when people call me a cracker for whatever reason. I always hear it in Chris Rock's voice when they say it. :lol:

Same...though sometimes I hear it in the voice of Bernie Mack from Ocean's 11.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Of course it's racist, but what I think many folks are saying is that the term doesn't carry with it the weight of a few hundred years of tangible discrimination, and so it's not generally viewed as being that bad (rightly or wrongly).

It's the equivalent of skinny-shaming a supermodel.