The Most Memorable Season Openers in Bills History

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

There are a bunch of heart-breaking openers like that one. The thing that still irks me was the big 4th down catch by Jimmy Smith over Nate Clements on that drive.

but consider these other heart-breaking openers:

1) the 2007 broncos-Bills one where with no time, the broncos raced on the field to kick the game winner as time expired. Lost 15-14.

2) the 2002 OT loss to the Jets where Morton had that 100-yard return in OT to end it (I was watching the game at a jets sports bar too, which really hurt).

3) The 2006 McKelvin kickoff fumble against the Pats in NE, in a game that we had won. Lost it 19-17.

4) 2009 loss to patriots where Brady throws game winner with under a minute. Lost 25-24.

5) 2013 loss to patriots with Pats hitting GW FG with like 5 seconds left. Lost 23-21.

That McKelvin fumble happened in that 09 25-24 MNF loss as well not 06. 

20 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Perfect choice.  Younger fans don’t know how painful it was to watch the Bills to lose to the Dolphins 20 times and finally beat them.  Chuck Knox ended the streak just like we will soon end the Patriots streak.  This year, next year, but soon.

The Patriots have only beaten the Bills 5 times in a row. The Bills won in Week 4 in 2016.

3 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Either one...memorable good or bad.

Your choices are great.  Here is the Denver game:

I Was at that game. I’ve lived in Nashville, Tennessee since 1994 but try to get up at least once a year for a Bills game.  We were in the upper deck on the visitor side and on the second half opening kick off the collision was so harsh that we could hear it through the whole stadium. Witnessing that was awful. The drunk Canadians behind us giggling and making fun of the situation almost got me in a fight that would’ve thrown me out of the stadium. I never wanna see anything like that live again. Thank God it worked out for Kevin Everett. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, bilzfancy said:

That's it. Rosey Leaks falling into the end zone, breaking an 0 for the 70s streak. Bills made the playoffs that year and only a gimpy Fergy, and a long last minute TD kept the Bills from playing for the AFC title

That 1980 AFC East championship team was the only decent team of my entire childhood.

13 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘80 Opener was historic, ‘89 @ Miami was epic!

But for my money, our 1st ever MNF game against the previously unbeaten MNF Raiders!

I was there with my Dad in the end zone Rashad caught both TDs.

Edit: ‘73 7th game vs Chiefs was our 1st MNF game. We won and O.J. went over 1000 yards in route to 2000. Dad & I were at that game as well.

I was also at that Raiders game. Not even old enough to drive.  My dad dropped off myself and a couple friends. 

Old man Blanda had repeatedly pulled out some magic(both as a kicker and a QB) in his later years, and I was sure he’d make that kick. 

• Like (+1) 1

for me like anyone over 50 i am guessing..1980 by a mile. The Titans win was also good.

one i remember for a different reason. EJ and Marrones first game! Pats at home. 

EJ was efficient, throws two TDs, we lose on last second field goal by 2.

And i can distinctly recall the conversation in the lot after that game that with EJ, Woody, and Marrone...we were a team on the rise and we had our franchise QB!!! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, njbuff said:

The 2000 season opener against Tennessee after the MCM was a good one.

Yep.  First game of the Drought.  Those were two of the best defenses I’ve ever seen. A true heavyweight slugfest.  How Wade managed to win only 8 games with that team, I’ll never know.

• Sad 1

Very recency bias but in 2015, Rex's first season and Tyrod as QB we STOMPED the Colts in the Ralph. The Colts had just come off of the AFC Championship game and were SB contenders. When we destroyed them spirits were at an all time high that season. Harvin had a 50 yard bomb TD.

Its also very memorable for me because the next day at 7am I moved to California for a new job. I actually told my boss to move my start date back by a week so I could go to the home opener before moving.

Edited by jletha
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

1980 opener against Dolphins when the Bills broke the losing streak.  Fans ripped the posts down.  Also, when Kelly ran for the touchdown against Miami with no time remaining to win.  I believe that might have been an opening game.

was there

ended 20 straight losses to the Fish

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, John Gianelli said:

1980. I was driving on a bridge in Chicago, listening for the scores on the radio, and when they announced that the Bills had beaten Miami I started crying and honking my horn. The drivers around me must have thought I was having a heart attack.

I was stationed south of Miami in the Air Force.  That was back in the day when you couldn't watch football other than the local games.

It Was Great!

The Monday front page of the Miami Herald showed the fans tearing down the goalposts!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

for me like anyone over 50 i am guessing..1980 by a mile. 

I am 49 and that was my first season as a Bills fan. Why that game is not the conclusive choice among posters here is a mystery to me.

I assume the majority of people on this forum are 50 and over since many are Baby Boomers?

Edited by from_dunkirk

9 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

I am 49 and that was my first season as a Bills fan. Why that game is not the conclusive choice among posters here is a mystery to me.

I assume the majority of people on this forum are 50 and over since many are Baby Boomers?

I tihnk a lot of folks became Bills fans in the late 80's..still remember walking out to the MudLot and seeing folks with champagne in 80

I should add ..another memorable opener was the year before, Dolphins again! Seemed like a beautiful day in the lot...went in to stadium in shorts and a cotton tee shirt. Bout halftime some crazy ass storm blew in off the lake, temp dropped to like 63, wind blowing like crazy  from a d&C story

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2019/09/02/buffalo-bills-game-day-sep-2-1979-dolphins-9-bills-7-tom-dempsey-miss/2060876001/

Fullback Larry Csonka, returning to the Dolphins after a four-year absence, capped an impressive 14-play, 77-yard march in the third quarter that consumed 8:33 during a veritable monsoon that gave Miami its winning points.

..but the game was 9-7 Dolphins deep into the 4th . Still the coldest I have ever been at a game. But could not leave...and we thought it all worth while as Dempsey lined up for the game winning 34 yarder. And then the Billsiness toook over and he shanked the freaking thing(rain had stopped by then)

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

can you imagine having missed the Jim Kelly Era and the lousy top 5 moments younger fans have to cling to?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

for me like anyone over 50 i am guessing..1980 by a mile. The Titans win was also good.

one i remember for a different reason. EJ and Marrones first game! Pats at home. 

EJ was efficient, throws two TDs, we lose on last second field goal by 2.

And i can distinctly recall the conversation in the lot after that game that with EJ, Woody, and Marrone...we were a team on the rise and we had our franchise QB!!! 

Yeah, that was pandemonium in 1980! A mini Super Bowl!