The Most Memorable Season Openers in Bills History

34 minutes ago, row_33 said:

can you imagine having missed the Jim Kelly Era and the lousy top 5 moments younger fans have to cling to?

Horrible! The glory years were in the 60's, early 80's, and Jim Kelly Era in the late 80's-90's.  I feel sorry for those who had only memories of the drought. Still...I have never seen the Bills win a SB yet (or the Sabres win a Stanley Cup, for that matter). Will it happen in or lifetimes?? Every NFL city deserves at least one SB win every 40 years or so. When will our time come?

Edited by from_dunkirk

12 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Horrible! The glory years were in the 60's, early 80's, and Jim Kelly Era in the late 80's-90's.  I feel sorry for those who had only memories of the drought. Still...I have never seen the Bills win a SB yet (or the Sabres win a Stanley Cup, for that matter). Will it happen in or lifetimes?? Every NFL city deserves at least one SB win every 40 years or so. When will our time come?

My 86 year old mother said, "Soon".

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Juice was good years.

But they ran him into the ground and he crumbled, RIGHT THERE!!

Not sure I'll see a Bills SB victory, i'd settle for hosting a playoff game now.

• Like (+1) 1

I was a bit young to fully appreciate that Miami 1980 game.  I was only 7.  I do remember my dad listening to the game on the radio in the kitchen & when it was over he started crying.  To this day, it is the only time I ever seen my dad cry.

For me it was Kelly's first game, 1986, my dad took me to that game.  I was at a few Bills games before that but it was the first time I really seen the crowd jacked up.  It was a sight to see.  The Bills loss but Kelly was terrific that day & I remember my dad telling me on the ride home "we got our Quarterback."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

I was a bit young to fully appreciate that Miami 1980 game.  I was only 7.  I do remember my dad listening to the game on the radio in the kitchen & when it was over he started crying.  To this day, it is the only time I ever seen my dad cry.

For me it was Kelly's first game, 1986, my dad took me to that game.  I was at a few Bills games before that but it was the first time I really seen the crowd jacked up.  It was a sight to see.  The Bills loss but Kelly was terrific that day & I remember my dad telling me on the ride home "we got our Quarterback."

Thats what my kid will remember me  saying about EJ?

18 hours ago, Another Fan said:

This has to be up there!  1st ever win in Chicago.  Plus 99% of the media picked Da Bears to win that day

I was at that game.  Good showing by Bills fans.  Great game but not in my top 3.

1980 Miami

1989 Miami

31-0 Pats and Sam Adams

• Like (+1) 1

The Minnesota home opener in 1988 was also exciting for me.

Everyone knew in 88 that the Bills were finally going to be good and the highlight of the game was seeing rookie Thurman Thomas rush for his first NFL score in a 13-10 win over the team that lost the NFC Championship game the year prior due to a dropped pass by Darren Nelson. The Skins beat the Vikes 17-10 and went on to crush Denver in the SB.

Minnesota could have won the SB in 87 and they had a lot of talent.

I could do a better job with the most miserable home openers I attended...  :(

16 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

They will win one soon! You are not that old!

50-something, I've had a good life cheering for the locals teams in Buffalo and Toronto.... 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

I could do a better job with the most miserable home openers I attended...  :(

50-something, I've had a good life cheering for the locals teams in Buffalo and Toronto.... 

That is no way near old!! We need a Bills SB and a Sabres Stanley Cup.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

for me like anyone over 50 i am guessing..1980 by a mile.

Absolfrigginlutely!  And, Bob Seger at the height of his powers Sunday night after the game.  What a day!

The Titans win was also good.

That was great and forgotten.  Jim Kelly was tending bar at the Big Tree after the game.  Some ahole kept telling him he was a loser until the bouncers kicked him out.  Jim said to us "that guy is looking for a million dollar punch"...............Anyway, I don't think there's another city where you walk in the bar and a HOFer is behind it!

one i remember for a different reason. EJ and Marrones first game! Pats at home. 

EJ was efficient, throws two TDs, we lose on last second field goal by 2.

And i can distinctly recall the conversation in the lot after that game that with EJ, Woody, and Marrone...we were a team on the rise and we had our franchise QB!!! 

Some of my friends were saying that and I said "Well, he's definitely better than Fitz"  I was even wrong about that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1