The Most Memorable Season Openers in Bills History

48 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

It's this one and no other opener comes close:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/198909100mia.htm

Here is Van's call of Kelly's winning TD run with no time left:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/van-miller-moments-1989-victory-over-miami-14012381

Absolutely! Was my first thought. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘80 Opener was historic, ‘89 @ Miami was epic!

But for my money, our 1st ever MNF game against the previously unbeaten MNF Raiders!

Edit: our 1st MNF game was the previous season ‘73. It was our 7th game that year and O.J. reached 1000 yards for the season, in route to 2000. Dad & I were there as well.

I was there with my Dad in the end zone Rashad caught both TDs.

Perhaps my favorite as well. 

Edited by Chandler#81
Correction
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Yep that Raiders MNF was great. Sat in the last row at the top with my father. We almost left when the Bills went up 14-13 and then almost left again when Art Thoms scooped up that fumble. That was a brutal break for the Bills, but we stayed and Fergie rallied them. That game wasn't a sellout, odds are if it was on local TV that night more people would remember it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2004-Bills/Jags. Bills lead the entire way until a 4th and goal TD by Ernest Wilford with no time remaining. He actually only got 1 foot down inbounds but at the time the “force out” rule awarded him the touchdown. Devastating opening day loss. Ended up costing us a playoff spot that season as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

‘80 Opener was historic, ‘89 @ Miami was epic!

But for my money, our 1st ever MNF game against the previously unbeaten MNF Raiders!

I was there with my Dad in the end zone Rashad caught both TDs.

You won me over, the MNF game and the Raiders my friend!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

No question about it.  1973.  Bills beat the Pats 31-13 in Foxboro.  OJ rushed for 250 yards, a new single--game record, on his way to breaking 2000 in a single season.  And the Bills improved a huge amount, finishing 9-5 but unfortunately missing the playoffs.  (Nine wins can get a team into the playoffs now, in a 16 game season.  We wuz robbed.)

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, DBilz2500 said:

2004-Bills/Jags. Bills lead the entire way until a 4th and goal TD by Ernest Wilford with no time remaining. He actually only got 1 foot down inbounds but at the time the “force out” rule awarded him the touchdown. Devastating opening day loss. Ended up costing us a playoff spot that season as well. 

There are a bunch of heart-breaking openers like that one. The thing that still irks me was the big 4th down catch by Jimmy Smith over Nate Clements on that drive.

but consider these other heart-breaking openers:

1) the 2007 broncos-Bills one where with no time, the broncos raced on the field to kick the game winner as time expired. Lost 15-14.

2) the 2002 OT loss to the Jets where Morton had that 100-yard return in OT to end it (I was watching the game at a jets sports bar too, which really hurt).

3) The 2006 McKelvin kickoff fumble against the Pats in NE, in a game that we had won. Lost it 19-17.

4) 2009 loss to patriots where Brady throws game winner with under a minute. Lost 25-24.

5) 2013 loss to patriots with Pats hitting GW FG with like 5 seconds left. Lost 23-21.

I was a bit too young to grasp the '73 and '74 teams, but I remember the '80 opening and was really into the Bills by the time the '89 season started. That game was awesome! Having gone to the AFC championship game a few months prior, I was feeling that we had finally arrived. Took one more season, but then it was so bloody awesome each year!! I took it for granted back then and didn't attend as many games as I should have, plus missed going to the Super Bowls. Never again!! They make the playoffs, I'm going!!

LET'S GO BUFFALO!! LET'S GO!!!!

I have to agree that the 1974 opener was even better than the 1973 opener.  Beating the Raiders on two fourth-quarter Fergie TD passes, sandwiched around a Braxton fumble returned for a TD.  I was working at Rich then, selling beer as a vendor, and I was in the stands screaming with everyone else.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

1980 opener against Dolphins when the Bills broke the losing streak.  Fans ripped the posts down.  Also, when Kelly ran for the touchdown against Miami with no time remaining to win.  I believe that might have been an opening game.

1980 game was the BEST ever.  Beating the fins for first time in. A decade . Talking proud ere began

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

1980 opener against Dolphins when the Bills broke the losing streak.  Fans ripped the posts down.  Also, when Kelly ran for the touchdown against Miami with no time remaining to win.  I believe that might have been an opening game.

Perfect choice.  Younger fans don’t know how painful it was to watch the Bills to lose to the Dolphins 20 times and finally beat them.  Chuck Knox ended the streak just like we will soon end the Patriots streak.  This year, next year, but soon.

• Like (+1) 4