Sunday 9/1 Cut /Waiver Update thread

13 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

The PS seems to be used differntly depending on positions

A PS QB is someone the team feels needs work but is not someone they want to see the field for a while

WR's, RBs, Linemen, they seem to be guys that teams liked but weren't good enough to make the 53 right away and they are being held on the team as a potential fill in later in the year after an injury.

When was the last time a team brought in a PS QB to fill in when their starter went down?

I hear ya.  I’m not stating what teams do.  I’m stating what I think teams with 2 QBs should do. 

To answer your last question, I have no idea and don’t really care enough to dig.  Most likely never if what you say is true about teams in the past.

edit:  one google search, didn’t even have to dig.  https://www.49ers.com/news/the-49ers-were-desperate-for-a-win-and-nick-mullens-helped-get-them-one

Edited by NewEra

23 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think they may be able to put him on their regular PS, but wouldn't get the '11th man' exception like the Bills can

Yea that’s what it looks like. I don’t think the Bills have exclusive rights to him though. Would be weird if he signed to another teams PS but wouldn’t surprise me.

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I hear ya.  I’m not stating what teams do.  I’m stating what I think teams with 2 QBs should do. 

To answer your last question, I have no idea and don’t really care enough to dig.  Most likely never if what you say is true about teams in the past.

PS QBs also often run opponents plays in practice to help the defense prepare for games etc.

2 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Not sure why everyone is so down on him. Seemed like he showed enough to keep on the PS and see if he pans out in a year with some more development. 

Even the Bills apparently wanted him for the PS, but never got the chance since the panthers claimed him for the 53.

2 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Yea that’s what it looks like. I don’t think the Bills have exclusive rights to him though. Would be weird if he signed to another teams PS but wouldn’t surprise me.

I thought we had exclusive rights once he passes waivers?  Could be wrong

3 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It could happen, if the Bills felt as highly about him as the fans, I'm sure they would want him with the exception, but if he is offered a regular PS spot on another team they would make him an offer to not use the exception for him

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I don't think anyone really knows, lol

I think the exclusive rights only apply to the 11th man exception for the PS

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ve not seen that anywhere. All I’ve seen is only the teams participating in the International Pathways Program get the roster exemption.

Which kind of makes sense. If he signs with the Bills through the program he can’t be elevated to the active roster. Why limit a player to only being able to sign with one team if he could possibly be made active on another? If you get what I mean. Wouldn’t be fair to the player. Unless he would prefer to sit and learn, with the Bills.

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

It could happen, if the Bills felt as highly about him as the fans, I'm sure they would want him with the exception, but if he is offered a regular PS spot on another team they would make him an offer to not use the exception for him

It’s also up to Wade, if he signs to another teams PS, he might have a chance of being activated to their active roster whereas if he signs to the Bills PS, he’s there all season no matter what.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

I’ve not seen that anywhere. All I’ve seen is only the teams participating in the International Pathways Program get the roster exemption.

Which kind of makes sense. If he signs with the Bills through the program he can’t be elevated to the active roster. Why limit a player to only being able to sign with one team if he could possibly be made active on another? If you get what I mean. Wouldn’t be fair to the player. Unless he would prefer to sit and learn, with the Bills.

Yeah, you cannot make a player sign with you, him and his agent have to agree with the contract. Even when players are poached off your PS to sign with other teams, that team just makes an offer, and the agent then tells your team and if you want to beat that offer with a better one, AND the player wants to stay with you and not the new team, you can sign him.

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah, you cannot make a player sign with you, him and his agent have to agree with the contract. Even when players are poached off your PS to sign with other teams, that team just makes an offer, and the agent then tells your team and if you want to beat that offer with a better one, AND the player wants to stay with you and not the new team, you can sign him.

Yea and Sal C had confirmed as much, the Bills have the option to sign him to their PS as a regular or as their exemption.

• Thank you (+1) 1