The Real Reason Why the Colts' Fans were Booing Andrew Luck

I'm a little sick of all the talking heads and current / ex-football players saying the Colts' fans were wrong to "Boo" Andrew Luck.

Sure the guy has been thrown around like a rag doll for the last 6 years, but you have to dig deeper into one issue that has been talked about very little: MONEY

First, we can all agree that Jim Irsay is of questionable integrity. Had a few run-ins with the law, TANKED the year to get Luck, and is overall somewhat slimy.

If Luck was having this pain for the last few years and recently had problems with his calf muscle and ankle, why did it become a "career ending" problem just two weeks before the start of the season. MONEY

Second, take a look at what Luck said on his interview. Paraphrasing here but he said he's had discussions with Chris Ballard over the summer about his pain, physical condition, etc.  Why do you think he held off on making this announcement until two weeks before the season? MONEY

Third, when Irsay found out about Luck's condition and discussions with Ballard, I'll bet Irsay brought Luck into his office and said "Can you hold off for another month or two? Let's wait and see? I'll make it worth your while."  Meanwhile, the Colts were able to renew season tickets and generate revenue based on the assumption (by those same Booing fans) that Luck was all set to play this year.

Fourth, fast forward to the day after his retirement when we hear in passing that Irsay will not seek repayment of the $21 million bonus!!! What??

Something stinks in this whole thing.  Irsay, the delays in announcing retirement, and the "Go ahead and keep $21 million". I don't feel bad for Luck at all. Ironworkers, roofers, police officers, etc. all suffer through pain and discomfort and very rarely get a $21 million dollar golden parachute on retirement.  The dirt will come out soon enough...and the Fans will really start to Boo.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I'm a little sick of all the talking heads and current / ex-football players saying the Colts' fans were wrong to "Boo" Andrew Luck.

Sure the guy has been thrown around like a rag doll for the last 6 years, but you have to dig deeper into one issue that has been talked about very little: MONEY

First, we can all agree that Jim Irsay is of questionable integrity. Had a few run-ins with the law, TANKED the year to get Luck, and is overall somewhat slimy.

If Luck was having this pain for the last few years and recently had problems with his calf muscle and ankle, why did it become a "career ending" problem just two weeks before the start of the season. MONEY

Second, take a look at what Luck said on his interview. Paraphrasing here but he said he's had discussions with Chris Ballard over the summer about his pain, physical condition, etc.  Why do you think he held off on making this announcement until two weeks before the season? MONEY

Third, when Irsay found out about Luck's condition and discussions with Ballard, I'll bet Irsay brought Luck into his office and said "Can you hold off for another month or two? Let's wait and see? I'll make it worth your while."  Meanwhile, the Colts were able to renew season tickets and generate revenue based on the assumption (by those same Booing fans) that Luck was all set to play this year.

Fourth, fast forward to the day after his retirement when we hear in passing that Irsay will not seek repayment of the $21 million bonus!!! What??

Something stinks in this whole thing.  Irsay, the delays in announcing retirement, and the "Go ahead and keep $21 million". I don't feel bad for Luck at all. Ironworkers, roofers, police officers, etc. all suffer through pain and discomfort and very rarely get a $21 million dollar golden parachute on retirement.  The dirt will come out soon enough...and the Fans will really start to Boo.

LOL, Foil hat territory, and an amazing level of lip service caring going on as well. Well done sir, well done.  Tell him what he’s won Roddy...?

6 minutes ago, Beach said:

the colts didnt tank to get Luck, Peyton was injured and they were terrible without him

If memory serves, there was talk of them tanking that year when Manning was hurt and Luck was looming in the draft, for the simple reason that they stuck with Curtis Painter (remember him!) instead of trying to find and sign a better option, because Painter was god awful. Like, Peterman-level awful. That’s where the narrative comes from.

• Like (+1) 2

Sometimes we look for conspiracies where the simple straight forward common sense facts are the most logical and correct explanation for the situation.  The Colts were hoping to talk him out of retiring.  This wasn't about a single year of season ticket sales to hose the local fans for a year.  This was about trying to keep the most valuable asset of their organization.  The financial impact to the Colts will occur over multiple years until they are able to obtain a player of his value.  In the end, it came down to a young guy that had already made a ton of money, who had been seriously hurt a number of times, who was tired of the tedious rehab processes, and his job wasn't fun for him anymore.  For any of us who have quit a job that we didn't like, this shouldn't be too hard to understand.  Life in the NFL doesn't last forever, it's just that this promising NFL life ended sooner that fans wanted it too.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

If grown men didn't take the time to boo a guy playing a game that they felt boned 'em, the system would never be in place for the guy to be worth $100m to begin with.

The fact that they booed is music to the NFL'S ears. 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd
  • Like (+1) 4

...Rona Schefter had to break the news BEFORE the game because he's the NFL Howie from TMZ.....Rappaport has more class than that....LaCanfora does NOT know yet......sure the Colts fans were PO'ed......they've patiently waited for his return from injuries.....

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Wait, so you’re saying Hillary only killed the clone of JFK?  Ingenious. 

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

So what's the real reason why the fans booed? I was excited to hear it...

Did you read his post?  He just told you.

Luck was asked to hold off making the announcement  as long as possible so that the organization had time to secure maximum ticket sales for the upcoming season.   The fans realized this, paid money to see Luck but aren't going to see him, and were pissed, so they booed.  

As compensation for playing along, Luck gets to keep all that money the organization legally could have taken back from him.

Sure this is somewhat of a "conspiracy theory" but it very well could have played out this way.

It may also have been much more innocent than this too, with Luck finally being pressed to make the decision only when he had to, on the eve of the regular season.  

And in exchange for services performed, being a good guy, and probably in hopes of him changing his mind and wanting him to come back to the team, he was allowed to keep all that bonus cash.

I'd say what really happened is one of these 2 things.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I’m confused. They booed because of money?