Pro Football Network: Bills one of teams in on Clowney trade

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

The Bills may not be contending for a Super Bowl this year, but Clowney is still only 26 years old and entering his prime. He would serve as a vital piece to help achieve that goal in the foreseeable future.

But what happens if Clowney doesn't want to re-sign with us?

Even if his new team verbally agrees to terms, there is nothing that requires either side to honor that agreement after the 2019 season.

Let's say he verbally agrees to a 5-year, $100 million contract.  Then he gets seriously hurt.  How many teams are going to honor that contract?

Flip it around and imagine he notches 20 sacks, while earning DPOY honors.  What's stopping him from demanding even more money?

I have absolutely no problem with Clowney being a Buffalo Bill, despite the questions about his effort and work ethic.  Since we have plenty of cap space, I'm even OK with him getting a bloated overpriced contract.  What I'm not OK with, is parting with significant resources for a 1-year-rental.  

Just now, mjt328 said:

Even if his new team verbally agrees to terms, there is nothing that requires either side to honor that agreement after the 2019 season.

Let's say he verbally agrees to a 5-year, $100 million contract.  Then he gets seriously hurt.  How many teams are going to honor that contract?

Flip it around and imagine he notches 20 sacks, while earning DPOY honors.  What's stopping him from demanding even more money?

I have absolutely no problem with Clowney being a Buffalo Bill, despite the questions about his effort and work ethic.  Since we have plenty of cap space, I'm even OK with him getting a bloated overpriced contract.  What I'm not OK with, is parting with significant resources for a 1-year-rental.  

Gaine being involved should give everyone a little bit of comfort.  Also, do we know of any players in this McDermott era that are clamoring to leave?  Even guys like Shady love it here.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

That’s the biggest thing, he commands attention. Gives OC a focal point on someone to stop and game plan around. That allows other players to reap those benefits. 

Absolutely. Clowney's presence and play goes beyond statistics alone. When he is locked in, he is relentess and wreaking havoc across the line...he has to be accounted for at all times. Hence, "Impact" comes in to play!

32 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

All of these possibilities were discussed yesterday. Any transaction carries some element of risk. Sometimes when an opportunity presents itself you go for it.

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The people who talk about his sack numbers clearly haven't watched much of the Texans. I can't say this often enough, he is sent after the QB much less than any of the other prime DEs in this league. When he is sent the stats prove it - he gets there more than almost anyone.

I've watched plenty of Texans games.   I'm sorry, but the guy just doesn't stand-out much to me.

Yeah, I guess it isn't fair to judge him based on "sack numbers" alone.  My fault for bringing that up.

But at the same time, I'm not going to call him a superstar just because PFF gives him high grades.

Regardless of Clowney's talent, my main point still stands.  The Bills cannot sign him to a contract extension.  Which makes trading anything of significant value a HUGE risk.  If we trade a 1st Round Pick, and then he becomes a Free Agent, it would be considered one of the worst decisions in franchise history.

47 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I'm not sure I understand the fascination with Jadeveon Clowney, or why the Bills may be interested.

I keep seeing the terms "All-Pro Talent" floating around his name, and it makes me laugh.  The guy has been in the NFL for five seasons and still hasn't recorded a double-digit sack season.  And that's with offensive coordinators focusing their blocking schemes against stopping J.J. Watt.  He's a good player, but certainly not a dominant one.  For all the comparisons I see to Mario Williams (which I think is a fair comparison), I don't think Clowney is anywhere close to the pass rusher Williams was at this point of their careers.

And as many have pointed out... whoever trades for Clowney cannot sign him to an extension until after the season is complete.  The NFL rules forbid it.  So unless you are foolish enough to trust a verbal agreement, this would be nothing more than a 1-year rental.  Next season, he becomes a Free Agent and can sign with anyone.

Now I'm as excited about the upcoming season as anyone, and I'm very optimistic we can make a playoff run.  But let's be honest.  This team isn't competing for a Super Bowl yet.  It would be really dumb to trade any kind of valuable player/draft assets for a guy who may only be in a Bills uniform for one season.  Now if we are talking a Day 3 draft pick, or a player like LeSean McCoy (who will also probably be gone next season), that's a different story.  Anything earlier would be a bigger waste than Kelvin Benjamin.

I agree AND whats more is this GM, scouting staff have shown they know how to identify elite talent in the draft.

So, instead of perhaps overpaying for a guy who may end up like Dareus/A Brown with his foot/helmet issues or any number of players who get that big pay day and turn somewhat invisible.  I'd rather not see this team go that route. I think it was a blessing that Brown chose not to come here. Don't know that this years offense would be ready to utilize him properly just yet...besides all the baggage the guy brings. 

BTW, I'd rather the team keep McCoy who is still a special talent in my view.

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

I've watched plenty of Texans games.   I'm sorry, but the guy just doesn't stand-out much to me.

Yeah, I guess it isn't fair to judge him based on "sack numbers" alone.  My fault for bringing that up.

But at the same time, I'm not going to call him a superstar just because PFF gives him high grades.

Regardless of Clowney's talent, my main point still stands.  The Bills cannot sign him to a contract extension.  Which makes trading anything of significant value a HUGE risk.  If we trade a 1st Round Pick, and then he becomes a Free Agent, it would be considered one of the worst decisions in franchise history.

The premise of a Clowney trade is that the price will be lower because he can't sign an extension. There's also the possibility of putting conditions on the draft pick which minimizes the risk.

4 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

He's been voted Top 100 in the NFL by the players 3 years in a row.  They know what he does to an opposing offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BillsDiehard said:

Just reported that Seahawks are now in the mix and Texans want a RB as part of the package. Seahawks would send Penny. Far more attractive than McCoy.

Perfect. Then they will cut Ziggy and he will sign with the Bills after rehabbing on the Hawks dime. Beane’s diabolical plan all along. 

1 hour ago, billybob71 said:

Salty this morning huh. Stay up too late waiting for Shefters tweet? If we get 4 or 5 sacks out of Shaq and same from Murphy we have surpassed Clowneys best year.  Pro Bowl doesnt mean as much to me as others (voted by fans). We all get to enamored with some of  these players to much hype.

So you prefer to have 2 players needed to make up the production of only 1?

This reminds me of last offseason when everyone downplayed interest in getting a great dlinemen from the Raiders because 'it wasn't the right time' or 'the cost would be too high', etc. If you have a chance to upgrade any position with better players you should do it. Buffalo should hold alot of the cards in this type of deal because the Texans have little options of either dealing him or letting him sit out. A good GM should be able to get a deal done without having to overpay and while looking at what the Texans need, the Bills have some options for them that are expendable.

As for Miami, they can offer their entire draft and roster to the Texans, but if he won't sign the tender, it won't matter.

24 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

and this is probably what is preventing him from being traded

I mean, they wanted a WR and are now in need of a RB. We have a few to spare at both positions and can offer a pick as well. We actually have some pieces we can afford to part with in order to get Clowney. His inability to negotiate is going to reduce the asking price. If we sent Zay and one of our more established RB’s we can probably make the pick conditional and see where it gets us. Yeldon to me makes more sense than Gore or Shady since he’s a bit younger and has great hands to help Watson out.

These are guys who are on the bubble as it is- if we can get something for them before being potentially cut lets see what it can do for us. I think Zay still has a place here, but we have a serviceable WR to fill in if he leaves, and the RB room is too crowded to not lose some serious talent- I don’t think we can ship Shady or Gore because of their age, so Yeldon makes the most sense.

30 minutes ago, BillsDiehard said:

Just reported that Seahawks are now in the mix and Texans want a RB as part of the package. Seahawks would send Penny. Far more attractive than McCoy.

Chris Carson is a very serviceable RB1, but I would be surprised to see them part with Penny already 

Jadeveon Clowney

Clown

Circus 

Cir-cle 

Cir-cle the wagons

Sur-f and turf 

New turf at New Era

New Era Bills

Bar Bill..

East Aurora...East...

...Land East of Buffalo...

Dunkirk Don

Don Lemon

Lemons Limes Jalapenos

Jalapenos go on Nachos (his fav. food)

Nachos at Deep South Taco

Not-yo in the deep south no more

Welcome to Buffalo

It all makes so much sense...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Jadeveon Clowney

Clown

Circus 

Cir-cle 

Cir-cle the wagons

Sur-f and turf 

New turf at New Era

New Era Bills

Bar Bill..

East Aurora...East...

...Land East of Buffalo...

Dunkirk Don

Don Lemon

Lemons Limes Jalapenos

Jalapenos go on Nachos (his fav. food)

Nachos at Deep South Taco

Not-yo in the deep south no more

Welcome to Buffalo

It all makes so much sense...

don't forget to take your meds

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

You pretty much summed up my opinion on this whole thing...

I always have the fact that Clowney grew up 20 mins south of Charlotte in the back of my mind as well...As far as I know his family is still there...He can say whatever...But what happens if he simply wants to play at home after next year?

My feeling is you can't give up too much to get him because the odds are, at best, 50/50 he's going to consider staying long term...The guy grew up in SC, played College football in SC, and has been a Pro in Texas...Sure I'd rather live in Buffalo...But would Clowney? I don't know...I kinda doubt it...?

Edited by KOKBILLS

4 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

I always have the fact that Clowney grew up 20 mins south of Charlotte in the back of my mind as well...As far as I know his family is still there...He can say whatever...But what happens if he simply wants to play at home after next year?

My feeling is you can't give up too much to get him because the odds are, at best, 50/50 he's going to consider staying long term...The guy grew up in SC, played College football in SC, and has been a Pro in Texas...Sure I'd rather live in Buffalo...But would Clowney? I don't know...I kinda doubt it...?

In Buffalo, the atmosphere comes close to replicating the zaniness of college football. In Charlotte (which started as a back branch that kept growing until they legally had to call it a "city"), NFL football is just a distraction until college basketball season starts. 

33 minutes ago, Chemical said:

The premise of a Clowney trade is that the price will be lower because he can't sign an extension. There's also the possibility of putting conditions on the draft pick which minimizes the risk.

If we can get Clowney for a 3rd Round Pick or less, I'm perfectly OK with that.  

That way if we lose him to Free Agency, we can possibly recoup high compensatory pick.

If we can get Clowney for a player (or combination of players) who may not be with the Bills in 2020-2021, I'm perfectly OK with that.

Those players probably won't be around if/when we become true Super Bowl contenders, so no big loss.

Anything that requires us to sacrifice a high future pick, or a young player who could help this team for years to come... in my opinion, that would be risky and foolish.  It's the type of move that would backfire on this franchise 9 times out of 10.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

As a Raptors fan, I have a little bit of PTSD from Kawhi Leonard and his move to play at home right after winning a championship. I’m not sure if that’s going to become a pro athlete trend, but it’s terribly worrisome.

• Like (+1) 2