Barnwell's 5 Teams Most Likely to Improve in 2019

DCOrange

For context, he's done this the past couple years and mentions that of the 11 teams he's predicted to improve in the past two years, 9 of them have improved and they've improved by an average of 4 wins. His choices are generally based on advanced metrics such as Pythagorean wins, record in close games, etc.

This year's teams: 

San Francisco 49ers

Carolina Panthers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New York Jets

New York Giants

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27296131/barnwell-picking-five-nfl-teams-most-likely-improve-2019

9 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

For context, he's done this the past couple years and mentions that of the 11 teams he's predicted to improve in the past two years, 9 of them have improved and they've improved by an average of 4 wins. His choices are generally based on advanced metrics such as Pythagorean wins, record in close games, etc.

This year's teams: 

San Francisco 49ers

Carolina Panthers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New York Jets

New York Giants

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27296131/barnwell-picking-five-nfl-teams-most-likely-improve-2019

49ers - yes will improve from 4-12 but not to above .500 and Shanahan and Lynch will be sent packing. 

Panthers - I have them a game either side of .500. They were 7-9 last year. Their range is 7-9 to 9-7 again this year.

Buccs - Yep, think they will be a lot better. Darkhorse for the playoffs. Don't think the Arians thing will work out long term but I expect a 2019 bounce.

Jets - Yep, will be better than 4-12.

Giants - I reckon they will be about 5-11 again. Not. A. Good. Team. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Jets went 4-12 last year. They absolutely will be better. 

If your idea of "better" is very literal in they may have 1-2 more wins. Writing an article like this though, the implication would be a significant improvement. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

49ers - yes will improve from 4-12 but not to above .500 and Shanahan and Lynch will be sent packing. 

Panthers - I have them a game either side of .500. They were 7-9 last year. Their range is 7-9 to 9-7 again this year.

Buccs - Yep, think they will be a lot better. Darkhorse for the playoffs. Don't think the Arians thing will work out long term but I expect a 2019 bounce.

Yikes.  I forgot how terrible each team was.  After seeing these records, I guess I do see each team doing better or the same as last year.  Barnwell's predictions are worthless cuz he just picks the bottom of the barrel teams and predicts they'll have more wins then the previous year.  For these teams, that's obvious that they should do better.  But not much better.  I only see the Bucs making the playoffs.  Out of these teams, I think the Panthers will regress.  Cam is done.  I expect Will Grier to be their starter next year.

31 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This year's teams: 

San Francisco 49ers

Carolina Panthers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New York Jets

New York Giants

I'll have what he's smoking. 

So he took three 4-12 teams and two 5-11 teams — five of the eight teams who won five or fewer games last year — and said they are the most likely teams to improve?

Way to go out on that limb. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This year's teams: 

San Francisco 49ers

Carolina Panthers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New York Jets

New York Giants

Makes sense - 2 teams that didn't have their QBs.  And 3 teams that shouldve won more games than they did in 2018.  The Jets at 4-12 going to 8-8 doesn't seem far fetched with their additions.  Giants are a tricky one because of the loss of beckham, and everyone assumes they'll be terrible.  

8 minutes ago, eball said:

So he took three 4-12 teams and two 5-11 teams — five of the eight teams who won five or fewer games last year — and said they are the most likely teams to improve?

exactly.  this prediction doesn't do a whole lot for me one way or the other.  

15 minutes ago, eball said:

This guy Barnwell is not a genius.  You don't need a theory based on advanced mathematics to guess that five of the worst teams in the league will improve.  I can't wait for the season to start so all of these soothsayers crawl back into the hole from which they came.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Giants lol

What the hell is a Pythagorean win?

Briefly, if you can guess this year's point differential with reasonable accuracy, you should be able to guess this year's win total with reasonable accuracy.

In other words, it's a lot of speculation dressed up in math. 

It's called "Pythagorean" partly because the formula used looks a bit like the Pythagorean theorem and mostly because it makes the idea sound geeky legit.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

This year's teams: 

San Francisco 49ers

Carolina Panthers

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

New York Jets

New York Giants

Bill “Thin Skin” Barnwell.  I won’t ever listen to an interview or read his work.  He’s one of those journalists who can criticize but can’t take criticism

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Can't disagree with any of this (maybe Shanny & Lynch)