Any Community College grads here?

Another Fan

ECC grad here so time ago.  Went to RIT out of high school.  I had no study skills and was essentially swamped by the atmosphere.  Went to ECC to get my act together - got my AAS degree in engineering science.  Went back to RIT and did very well.

Prolly should have made that move right out of high school, but what did I know.  High school was easy.

Edited by BuffaloBud
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

ECC grad back in late 80's. Got my Associates in Visual Communications/Graphic Arts. Started working in my field right out of college and still working for the same company 30 years later.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBud said:

ECC grad here so time ago.  Went to RIT out of high school.  I had no study skills and was essentially swamped by the atmosphere.  Went to ECC to get my act together - got my AAS degree in engineering science.  Went back to RIT and did very well.

Prolly should have made that move right out of high school, but what did I know.  High school was easy.

Have a son heading to college this fall...think the CC route would have been better fro him too. But he was accepted into a program at an out of state school that is giving him in state tuition and goes away after this year..so fingers crossed!!!!

BTW, we have lots of friends who sons did  the same  route as you..makes the boys grow up and some failure in life prolly not a bad thing. Notice I said sons, seems like the daughters never have the same issue!

54 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Not a grad but took a semester at CC after it was "requested" I take a break from fredonia, it was really good for me, got me to take my college studies a bit more serious.

prolly cause you were saying PBR Hard Coffee is a good wake me up!!!!

Edited by plenzmd1

don't knock it, i was skeptical, but I really enjoyed it 

44 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Have a son heading to college this fall...think the CC route would have been better fro him too. But he was accepted into a program at an out of state school that is giving him in state tuition and goes away after this year..so fingers crossed!!!!

BTW, we have lots of friends who sons did  the same  route as you..makes the boys grow up and some failure in life prolly not a bad thing. Notice I said sons, seems like the daughters never have the same issue!

prolly cause you were saying PBR Hard Coffee is a good wake me up!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I went to a CC right out of high school. The best professors I ever had were there. CC profs are paid to teach, not to research and publish.

Studies show that CC grads tend to do better when they transfer to universities than students who started at universities as freshmen.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

I went to a CC right out of high school. The best professors I ever had were there. CC profs are paid to teach, not to research and publish.

Studies show that CC grads tend to do better when they transfer to universities than students who started at universities as freshmen.

I can totally see that, especially for boys.

In VA they have a program where if you take the approved curriculum at a CC, get at least a 3.3( i think) you are automatically approved into a 4 year state college. Great route to go if you cant get into UVA or William and Mary....put in your two years at CC at $3K a year vs $20K, guaranteed to get in..and still graduate from one of those prestigious schools at half price!

• Like (+1) 5

Anyone with kids going to college, save some money and have them do a year or two at your local 2-year school to get your gut requirements out of the way. (Be sure the school you're transferring to will accept them.)

• Like (+1) 1

Got an associates degree from Herkimer CC. My folks wanted me to go to Cayuga CC in my home town, but I wanted to play lacrosse.   Spent a little extra on room/board, but it was totally worth it to me in the end.  Saved a bunch of cash though versus going to a 4 year school right away.

4 hours ago, BuffaloBud said:

Go to UB in 1975 and yes swamped by the atmosphere.  Bomb out after a year.  Start ECC in 77 in Engineering all night school while I worked 40-48 a week.  Got a engineering job that paid for my BS at Buff State, again night school.  7 years of night school, 4 hours a night M-TH was a very difficult time in my life

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Anyone with kids going to college, save some money and have them do a year or two at your local 2-year school to get your gut requirements out of the way. (Be sure the school you're transferring to will accept them.)

This is such good advice!  +1 on the transfer too

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have two friends that took an opportunity to go to CC for free out of high school (if you graduated HS top ten they waived all tuition and fees) and then transferred to excellent four year schools after getting their associates degrees.  Worked out nicely.

I'm slowly taking classes working towards my masters degree in my field (unnecessary, but free for me).  The local CC is always looking for adjuncts in my field as it's a very popular track and I might look into teaching there. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Agree for the most part on the teachers but there’s always stinkers

In retrospect it would’ve probably been better for me to start at the local CC.  However, in my thinking at the time since I got into a 4 year school why switch in the middle of it 

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

This would've helped my oldest -- Daughter.  Maybe she's the exception to the rule.

Starting out in the wrong spot certainly adds time and effort to reach the goal.  All I ask is that she keep moving in the right direction.  She's on that bumpy dirt path that runs parallel to the road, but she's going the right way!

As for #2 Daughter, a completely different story.

• Like (+1) 1

I can totally see that, especially for boys.

In VA they have a program where if you take the approved curriculum at a CC, get at least a 3.3( i think) you are automatically approved into a 4 year state college. Great route to go if you cant get into UVA or William and Mary....put in your two years at CC at $3K a year vs $20K, guaranteed to get in..and still graduate from one of those prestigious schools at half price!

they have a ton of 2 + 2 programs here at monroe community college.  some to great schools.  i think people have even gone on to cornell .  saves money and at the end of the day, it just matters where the diploma is from.  my mom was a professor there, and always sung it's praises.  

39 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

I have two friends that took an opportunity to go to CC for free out of high school (if you graduated HS top ten they waived all tuition and fees) and then transferred to excellent four year schools after getting their associates degrees.  Worked out nicely.

I'm slowly taking classes working towards my masters degree in my field (unnecessary, but free for me).  The local CC is always looking for adjuncts in my field as it's a very popular track and I might look into teaching there. 

i actually help teach a course twice a year at our cc. it a weekend warrior course, so i'm there all friday, saturday and sunday, but it's fun.  the money isn't really anything, but many of the students are from the area or stay here, so your name becomes familiar.  

• Like (+1) 1

I will be pushing all 3 of my kids towards this.  Makes this so much less stressful from a financial standpoint.

Edited by Whatnot78

My son went to a four year school right out of high school. He didn’t like being a full time student. After one year, he went to CC part time and worked part time. It took him four years (one at the four year school, then three at the CC) to get a two year nursing degree.  In two more years he got a four year degree, then in three more years he got a master’s degree. All while working part time. I’m very proud of him for realizing what worked for him and following through. And he likes being a nurse in a critical care unit in a hospital. (Sorry, this is a bit of a LAMP because I’m bragging about my son.)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1