Any Community College grads here?

Another Fan

1 hour ago, Whatnot78 said:

I will be pushing all 3 of my kids towards this.  Makes this so much less stressful from a financial standpoint.

Here for example is UVAs guidelines for guaranteed acceptance in the various programs from a Virginian Community College. Still blows me away this program..I mean UVA is tough enough to get in, and W&M is even harder...but damn you can have a 2.0 in high school, get your poop together..and be in a one of those schools!

https://admission.virginia.edu/vccsguide

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Have a son heading to college this fall...think the CC route would have been better fro him too. But he was accepted into a program at an out of state school that is giving him in state tuition and goes away after this year..so fingers crossed!!!!

BTW, we have lots of friends who sons did  the same  route as you..makes the boys grow up and some failure in life prolly not a bad thing. Notice I said sons, seems like the daughters never have the same issue!

prolly cause you were saying PBR Hard Coffee is a good wake me up!!!!

My son needed to grow up so the CC route was the way to go for him. I already posted about that. 

My daughter has always been an outstanding student, and she was given the opportunity to go to an out of state school for in state prices. She did great. Then she went to grad school, all expenses paid plus a small salary. 

Each kid is different. We never doubted my daughter’s ability to excel in school. We had to wait and see how my son would do, but after the dust settled it worked out fine for both of them.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Here for example is UVAs guidelines for guaranteed acceptance in the various programs from a Virginian Community College. Still blows me away this program..I mean UVA is tough enough to get in, and W&M is even harder...but damn you can have a 2.0 in high school, get your poop together..and be in a one of those schools!

https://admission.virginia.edu/vccsguide

It is a great way to get your kids into a great school.  Had a neighbor kid go to NOVA for 2 years and got into James Madison.  Saved a bunch of money, got a decent job now and is looking to get into Fed LE.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

I have two friends that took an opportunity to go to CC for free out of high school (if you graduated HS top ten they waived all tuition and fees) and then transferred to excellent four year schools after getting their associates degrees.  Worked out nicely.

I'm slowly taking classes working towards my masters degree in my field (unnecessary, but free for me).  The local CC is always looking for adjuncts in my field as it's a very popular track and I might look into teaching there. 

There is just so much wrong with this post

1) start with the lie you have friends

2) if you did have friends ...they would be smart?

3) and any school that would have you teach has to be unaccredited..learning annex does not count bro!

• Haha (+1) 2

On 7/25/2019 at 4:26 PM, Koko78 said:

Went to Genesee Community College.

I turned out ok, just ask my parole officer!

I am an alum as well.  Came from a small high school went to Dyouville for about a day before I moved to GCC.  Needed the two years to adjust and grow up a bit.  Finished at Brockport.

On 7/25/2019 at 4:08 PM, plenzmd1 said:

There is just so much wrong with this post

1) start with the lie you have friends

2) if you did have friends ...they would be smart?

3) and any school that would have you teach has to be unaccredited..learning annex does not count bro!

Hmmm.  After the infamous ‘Santa left you kids coal’ incident, I would think Lilith Sternin-Crane would be asking you, “plenzmd1, would you like to be in a university study?  Would you like to be a university study?”

?

On 7/25/2019 at 1:17 PM, teef said:

they have a ton of 2 + 2 programs here at monroe community college.  some to great schools.  i think people have even gone on to cornell .  saves money and at the end of the day, it just matters where the diploma is from.  

We knew some folks in FL who had a son accepted into Duke. This family is loaded thanks to dad being a tech genius.....to the point that they now spend their days running their foundation (a/k/a giving away their money). The son elected to start at the local community college. He said a couple years at Duke is enough to buy a house, and he’d still have the same degree after 4 years. Gottta hand it to the kid for being so practical, especially when the money wasn’t really an issue. Go figure! 

42 minutes ago, Augie said:

We knew some folks in FL who had a son accepted into Duke. This family is loaded thanks to dad being a tech genius.....to the point that they now spend their days running their foundation (a/k/a giving away their money). The son elected to start at the local community college. He said a couple years at Duke is enough to buy a house, and he’d still have the same degree after 4 years. Gottta hand it to the kid for being so practical, especially when the money wasn’t really an issue. Go figure! 

One of my friends insisted on going to Duke right out of HS; he didn't want to "waste time" at a CC. (His Dad was a HS math teacher, so money most certainly WAS an issue.) He joined a frat and ended his freshman year on academic probation. Duke officials told him to go to a CC, build up his GPA, and then he could apply to be reinstated. He did, and graduated from Duke 5 years later. That freshman year at Duke cost about $10k (1982 dollars.)

43 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

One of my friends insisted on going to Duke right out of HS; he didn't want to "waste time" at a CC. (His Dad was a HS math teacher, so money most certainly WAS an issue.) He joined a frat and ended his freshman year on academic probation. Duke officials told him to go to a CC, build up his GPA, and then he could apply to be reinstated. He did, and graduated from Duke 5 years later. That freshman year at Duke cost about $10k (1982 dollars.)

That made me curious enough to look....current estimate is $73k/year. Yikes! 

After high school, I took my 1.5 GPA to Santa Rosa Junior College. Needless to say, I needed to mature a bit. I was dating my future wife at the time and realized (minimum wage, $3.25 at the time, wasn't going to make for a happy life). I managed to grow up, moved onto Sacramento State a couple/few years later and got my BS. Now 27 years later, retired, happy...and I can be a slacker once again. 

Unless you play athletics or are getting a scholarship to attend a 4-yr, the JC/CC route is the way to go, especially if you're indecisive about a career path. 

Edited by 707BillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1