Be a Famous Musician, Actor/Actress or Athletic?

What would you want to be?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What would you want to be?

• Famous Musician
    • Famous Actor/Actress
    • Famous Athlete

If you had to pick between being a famous actor/actress, a famous musician or a famous athlete what would you choose?

I am leaning towards a famous musician because music fans are the best, although I would choose a famous golfer as my second choice. 

Famous actor.  They seem to do pretty good and there are a couple routes to get there.  Sometimes you need just one "great" movie or tv show to make your career.  It's the one "famous" career where you can really retire from.  (Sean Connery, James Caan, Gene Hackman).

I'd make a hard pass on the famous athlete for what you put your body through.  

I think it's a difficult climate for musicians today.  No MTV, no real tapes or records to sell anymore, so its endless touring if you want to make money.  

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 1

Athlete.  More big $$ endorsements.

Music is a passion of mine, but as @dpberr mentioned, touring is the only way to make $$.

I would not want to be a famous actor because that would mean living the life of an actor, i.e. - dealing with the cesspool of scum that is Hollywood.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Famous actor.  They seem to do pretty good and there are a couple routes to get there.  Sometimes you need just one "great" movie or tv show to make your career.  It's the one "famous" career where you can really retire from.  (Sean Connery, James Caan, Gene Hackman).

I think it's a difficult climate for musicians today.  No MTV, no real tapes or records to sell anymore, so its endless touring if you want to make money.  

I think Rick Moranis has actually made more money from Universal Studios than in his movies.  I think he invested a lot of money into the Honey I Shrunk the Kids rides or something like that....

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

I've always wondered how much the musicians get for the ITUNES downloads of their songs.  Any idea what percentage they get?

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Famous athlete just because sports is what I know.  Best fighter more specifically.  

Although being a straight Elton John would be appealing too.  All that talent and fame and doesn't even sleep with the hottest women....smh.

You want to be a poofer? ?

6 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I've always wondered how much the musicians get for the ITUNES downloads of their songs.  Any idea what percentage they get?

More relevant - streaming:  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/26/how-spotify-apple-music-can-pay-musicians-more-commentary.html

Spotify pays about $0.006 to $0.0084 per stream to the holder of music rights. And the "holder" can be split among the record label, producers, artists, and songwriters. In short, streaming is a volume game.

For example, Taylor Swift earned between $280,000 and $390,000 for her song "Shake It Off" which garnered 46.3 million streams, according to one report. But that's for one of the world's biggest pop stars. Most musicians won't generate that many streams in their life time. Another calculation shows that 1 million plays on Spotify translates to around $7,000, and one million plays on Pandora generates $1,650.

As far as iTunes goes, an artist with no record label would make about 70% of what it was sold for.  If you have a label, they take a significant chunk.

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

More relevant - streaming:  https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/26/how-spotify-apple-music-can-pay-musicians-more-commentary.html

Spotify pays about $0.006 to $0.0084 per stream to the holder of music rights. And the "holder" can be split among the record label, producers, artists, and songwriters. In short, streaming is a volume game.

For example, Taylor Swift earned between $280,000 and $390,000 for her song "Shake It Off" which garnered 46.3 million streams, according to one report. But that's for one of the world's biggest pop stars. Most musicians won't generate that many streams in their life time. Another calculation shows that 1 million plays on Spotify translates to around $7,000, and one million plays on Pandora generates $1,650.

As far as iTunes goes, an artist with no record label would make about 70% of what it was sold for.  If you have a label, they take a significant chunk.

I would never sign with a label then.  

Actor.

It seems easier in that profession to maintain the quality of your craft over time. 

Athletes obviously have a short lifespan. Musicians also lose their voice and dexterity in their later years.

Meanwhile, there are still old actors who are killing it. Think Eastwood, Streep, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

If I had to be famous to be rich (the only thing that could make famous OK), I’d go for musician. The athlete doesn’t last very long, and the actor is too recognizable. I couldn’t pick Van Morrison out of a crowd, but he’s currently, and has been for years, my favorite musician.