Cable TV Versus Everything Else

What is the best value in TV today?  If you want a wide variety of channels, to include HBO, Showtime, and a lot of sports, who has the best bang for the buck?  My cable has gotten so expensive that there has to be a viable alternative.  And not being a techie, I need something that's rather easy to set up or have set up.  Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Directv.  Simple and easy.  Pick your package of channels, and any supplementary channels you want (i.e., HBO, Cinemax).  

But hasn't Directv gotten pretty pricey as well?  I hear things about Sling and whatever but know nothing about them,

1 minute ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

But hasn't Directv gotten pretty pricey as well?  I hear things about Sling and whatever but know nothing about them,

I was paying $71.00 dollars a month for a bunch of channels including the NFL Network.   I just canceled because I am moving in a few months and wanted to save some cash, but I always liked Directv, especially when compared with Spectrum.

39 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

What is the best value in TV today?  If you want a wide variety of channels, to include HBO, Showtime, and a lot of sports, who has the best bang for the buck?  My cable has gotten so expensive that there has to be a viable alternative.  And not being a techie, I need something that's rather easy to set up or have set up.  Thanks.

I guess it depends on what you pay.   New subscribers can get HBO free for a year on DTV.  

One each HBO, Showtime, and a lot of sports on DTV will run you about $100.  Long time customers who call quarterly can get discounts.  

I,  myself,  a 20 year customer have whittled my bill down to $100 and I get a boat load of channels.   

This does not count the 6 months for NFL Sunday Ticket.

You need a clear line of sight to the S  SW and if you get tones of heavy rain will lose signal  anywhere from 5 minutes to the duration of the heave rain or snow verses some idiot cutting the cable and being out of service for days.

We canceled DirecTV last year because of the cost. Bought a digital antenna for local stations and watch a lot of movies and TV shows on Amazon Prime. Got a Google Chromecast to send streaming video from the computer to the TV. 

18 minutes ago, Augie said:

This should be interesting, and probably confusing to this non-techie. But my wife would love to know the answer! 

The usual, "oh easy, just Sling-Roko and add streaming This, Than and the Other via Broadband That I've Never Heard Of......" answers never do much for me!

Guess I'm getting old....will wait till my kids are teenagers and can figure it out.

By the time you do all the other stuff for TV, you still need to have internet and if you want a landline how much cheaper can it really all be?  I'd pay $1000 for someone to not only provide an answer but come in and set it all up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

The usual, "oh easy, just Sling-Roko and add streaming This, Than and the Other via Broadband That I've Never Heard Of......" answers never do much for me!

Guess I'm getting old....will wait till my kids are teenagers and can figure it out.

By the time you do all the other stuff for TV, you still need to have internet and if you want a landline how much cheaper can it really all be?  I'd pay $1000 for someone to not only provide an answer but come in and set it all up.

I have a friend who was sure he knew how to hook up the sound bar to our TV. I went to the store and came back to spend the first half of a Bills game without audio thanks to his “expertise”. He said that in 25 years he had never seen me so angry!  

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Oh Internet is a whole different issue.

$90 no matter what 

which reminds me ....  I have to call them to keep that price soon....  

You pay 90$/mth for internet? Really? You're really getting bent over a Webber Kettle grill and getting sasquatch *****.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

You pay 90$/mth for internet? Really? You're really getting bent over a Webber Kettle grill and getting sasquatch *****.

In my area and HIGH speed.   Its the norm.  I switched from Verizon Broadband (slow) to Comcast (fast) for the same price. 

4 gig download  15 minutes MAX 

That includes Land Line (phone) and International calling for 90 minutes per month 

basic internet alone around $50 (includes taxes) 

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

In my area and HIGH speed.   Its the norm.  I switched from Verizon Broadband (slow) to Comcast (fast) for the same price. 

4 gig download  15 minutes MAX 

Well I guess depending on where you live may be higher, but my internet bill (and have the best you can get from the company) is 49$/mth. When I pay it late sometimes it's 54$.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Patrick_Duffy said:

Well I guess depending on where you live may be higher, but my internet bill (and have the best you can get from the company) is 49$/mth. When I pay it late sometimes it's 54$.

thats good for internet only   

as I appended to my last post 

my wife has relatives in Scotland so I need the international calls 

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Yeah I dropped DTV and watch T.V through my internet now. Have for the past year and half. Don't have to worry about a slight drizzle of rain cutting it out. Of course that stuff is a separate bill, but that also isn't very much.

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

my wife has relatives in Scotland so I need the international calls 

Well I'm Televisions great Patrick Duffy. I have relatives and friends all over the world. That is still no excuse. lol

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

Peripherally related... I'm a bit OCD for certain things which includes audio/visual setup. A couple years ago I visited a friend who had the typical home theater setup, but as I walked through the front door I could see his standard def picture stretched on his HDTV. I was like WTF Greg? 

Long story short.... 8 hours later, including multiple trips to various stores,  I reconfigured his entire system. Changed every setting on every component, swapping out cables, making connections, etc... I brought him to tears when I was done. He never knew what everything should look/sound like. He just kept looking around wondering where all the surround sound was coming from. lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Peripherally related... I'm a bit OCD for certain things which includes audio/visual setup. A couple years ago I visited a friend who had the typical home theater setup, but as I walked through the front door I could see his standard def picture stretched on his HDTV. I was like WTF Greg? 

Long story short.... 8 hours later, including multiple trips to various stores,  I reconfigured his entire system. Changed every setting on every component, swapping out cables, making connections, etc... I brought him to tears when I was done. He never knew what everything should look/sound like. He just kept looking around wondering where all the surround sound was coming from. lol

So, got any plans this weekend? It just so happens I’m free if you want to drop by!  ?

Seriously, I used to know people like that, heck I used to BE that guy! But it’s all passed me by now. I’m not sure I could get anything to turn on in my son’s media room. I’d gladly pay for the service but my experience is some geek squad type guy shows up, charging by the hour, and sits down on the floor with the manual with very little resulting other than money changing hands. You know what you’re doing and it took you 8 hours! I will settle for hooking up a stinking sound bar!