Cable TV Versus Everything Else

On 5/30/2019 at 2:19 PM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Directv.  Simple and easy.  Pick your package of channels, and any supplementary channels you want (i.e., HBO, Cinemax).  

I disagree.  I had Directtv for about 7 years but I went back to Spectrum (cable) because it had gotten so expensive.  I was paying as much just for Directtv (with 4 tvs)  as I now pay for tv and internet plus HBO and Showtime.   I only have to pay for 1 tv because I use basic ROKUs to stream from the Spectrum app for the other three  -- and I don't have to go out in the cold to clean snow off the satellite dish after a snowstorm.  I can also add more tvs simply by purchasing more ROKU units.

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

I disagree.  I had Directtv for about 7 years but I went back to Spectrum (cable) because it had gotten so expensive.  I was paying as much just for Directtv (with 4 tvs)  as I now pay for tv and internet plus HBO and Showtime.   I only have to pay for 1 tv because I use basic ROKUs to stream from the Spectrum app for the other three  -- and I don't have to go out in the cold to clean snow off the satellite dish after a snowstorm.  I can also add more tvs simply by purchasing more ROKU units.

i use the spectrum app on half of our tvs as well.  i have the boxes for the family room and bed room, mostly to record and watch the recorded shows.  i just refuse to keep paying for those boxes.  samsung tvs also have the app as part of them, which could prevent you from even having to buy a roku.  the app can be quirky, (i have a weird color change on certain channels and it can freeze on occasion) but still well worth it.

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

Wow.  No Spectrum here.  Comcast is the only game in town.  We already get internet through Comcast which costs us around $85/month.  Having done some research, we wouldn’t be able to get nearly the amount and quality of programming through Comcast that were are getting through Directv for what we’re paying now.  I’ve also found DTV to be more flexible in terms of offering deals and incentives.  Call Comcast and ask for “loyalty discounts” and they laugh at you.

Also, I’ve never had to brush snow or ice off my satellite dish.  Every once in a while the signal will go out if we get a huge thunder storm, but I’ve never lost my signal during the winter.

37 minutes ago, teef said:

i use the spectrum app on half of our tvs as well.  i have the boxes for the family room and bed room, mostly to record and watch the recorded shows.  i just refuse to keep paying for those boxes.  samsung tvs also have the app as part of them, which could prevent you from even having to buy a roku.  the app can be quirky, (i have a weird color change on certain channels and it can freeze on occasion) but still well worth it.

Same situation with myself.  The boxes are much more reliable,  but if you don't watch a TV consistently, the app does just fine.

I just changed the name of the person on my spectrum bill and signed up for the 2 year deal.  $110 with taxes/fees for fast internet and enough TV for me (2 boxes).

• Like (+1) 1

I know people are really put off by their service and price, but it couldn't have been any easier for me.  I called and told them I was looking to change since my contract was up.  They put me on hold for a bit and then immediately offered to cut my price down to right around $70 without a new contract.  I might top that through a combination of streaming services, but it would take more work than it's worth.  The price change is only for a year, but once that's up, since it's not a new 2 year contract, I can just repeat the process.  Maybe I just lucked out and got the right person, but I don't have any complaints.

I hate the way all of these companies will give you a lower price if you just waste your time calling them and playing the 'i will leave and go somewhere else' game. How about just give me the better price all the time and not jack up the price when your not a new customer.....

As for cable/dish, as everyone gets rid of it or switches to streaming services, either they will need to adapt and drop prices, or they will slowly die off. The only thing that's going to help them is that people will soon get frustrated with the streaming services because there are going to be so many of them, all specialized in what they have and it will involve you paying for multiple services just to get a few shows you want to watch. This will eventually lead to pricing being similar to what you would have with cable and people looking for alternatives again.

20 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I hate the way all of these companies will give you a lower price if you just waste your time calling them and playing the 'i will leave and go somewhere else' game. How about just give me the better price all the time and not jack up the price when your not a new customer.....

As for cable/dish, as everyone gets rid of it or switches to streaming services, either they will need to adapt and drop prices, or they will slowly die off. The only thing that's going to help them is that people will soon get frustrated with the streaming services because there are going to be so many of them, all specialized in what they have and it will involve you paying for multiple services just to get a few shows you want to watch. This will eventually lead to pricing being similar to what you would have with cable and people looking for alternatives again.

and this will then realize why cable costs so much, it's not just the cable companies that are hungry for their money but the channel themselves too. It's why many are worried about the demise of Netflix, with more and more stations pulling their content from it and now adding their own apps costs will just go up and up or streaming services will be just like cable tv and filled with more and more commercials (see Hulu). 

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

and this will then realize why cable costs so much, it's not just the cable companies that are hungry for their money but the channel themselves too. It's why many are worried about the demise of Netflix, with more and more stations pulling their content from it and now adding their own apps costs will just go up and up or streaming services will be just like cable tv and filled with more and more commercials (see Hulu). 

That's true about commercials. I used to find it funny how when Sirius/XM satellite radio came out they would push the fact that it was commercial free. Then when I had it (free subscription for a period of time with a new vehicle) they would have commercials for either content on other channels, or for actual products or services (the machines for sleep apnea, or cleaners for them, Alan Thicke promoting a debt management service, some supposedly really good underwear, and ED medication). I think there was the one service, Crackle, that started Jerry Seinfeld Commedians in Cars show that would have commercials before or during a show or movie sometimes because it wasn't a pay service.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wasted an hour on a DirecTV chat with two different CSRs, asking about an extension of my current $60/month credit, which ends August 21st.

The final "response" was to "contact us on August 21st to see about possible promotions" as I am "not eligible at this time, since I already have a promotion."

AT&T lost over two million TV (DTV, DTV Now, AT&T Universe) subscribers in the last year.  The company feels no obligation or loyalty to long-time customers.  Be assured, that barring the unlikely extension of my current credit, I will reciprocate the favor on August 21st.   

DirecTV is dead to me.

23 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Just wasted an hour on a DirecTV chat with two different CSRs, asking about an extension of my current $60/month credit, which ends August 21st.

The final "response" was to "contact us on August 21st to see about possible promotions" as I am "not eligible at this time, since I already have a promotion."

AT&T lost over two million TV (DTV, DTV Now, AT&T Universe) subscribers in the last year.  The company feels no obligation or loyalty to long-time customers.  Be assured, that barring the unlikely extension of my current credit, I will reciprocate the favor on August 21st.   

DirecTV is dead to me.

We are still without CBS and CW  here in B-low.

8 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Moving to a new house in a few days.  Got rid of direct tv two months ago and have just been using roku for the kids.

Wife ia convinced we need to keep streaming at the new house.  I want to get driect tv back for football.  Any streaming options for the Bills games?  

If you’re lucky enough to have a tree that blocks the direcTV or live in a home or building where satellites are not allowed, they will give you Sunday Ticket streaming access. You of course have to pay for it. But a tech has to go to the house and verify. 

There is no way this crap offering survives another round of bidding to the NFL. They are losing revenue for sure. 

13 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

DirecTV is dead to me.

Same here...and then I waiting and called back.  They gave me $40/mo to keep my bill where it was. 

I wouldn't give up on them just yet.

To me, that isnt worth it.  I stuck with them due to the ease of getting a better rate and I felt appreciated.  I almost felt like I owed the effort they made to meet in the middle and stick with them at a rate a little higher than it would be for a triple-play introductory package with Spectrum/TW.

Now, the apparent need to go to the mat with them every year like i'm buying a car... that isnt something i want/need.   

They wouldnt give me much of a discount, and didnt resist when i cancelled.  Only after the fact, i received emails with decent deals, but a lot of small print and a contract term, and also didnt include all the equipment and hidden fees. 

I tossed the directv and im so glad i did.  Havent missed a thing other than paying lease on antiquated receiver boxes.  Its liberating

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

We are still without CBS and CW  here in B-low.

I'm pretty sure the CW offers free content via their app if you stream at all. CBS is another matter as they make you pay for their app but you should get it live over the air with a digital antenna. 

5 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

If you’re lucky enough to have a tree that blocks the direcTV or live in a home or building where satellites are not allowed, they will give you Sunday Ticket streaming access. You of course have to pay for it. But a tech has to go to the house and verify. 

There is no way this crap offering survives another round of bidding to the NFL. They are losing revenue for sure. 

Do you really even need that tree?  Can't you just tell them that's the case and they'll give you the streaming version?  I didn't think they'd actually check on any of these claims.  But then again, if it's a house that previously had DirecTV, that might kill that option.